• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Beware OH does not recognize an AZ permit for a non-resident of AZ only for AZ residents. Just in case this was part of your reasoning for getting one.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI

What's your point? I was simply letting hI'm know that OH does not recognize a non-res AZ permit. That was fairly unknown until recently on here by most. Just trying to help him out if that was part if his reason to get it. I was going to get an AZ for that very reason and found out just in time before doing so. I would hate to see someone do it an not know it only to find out to late.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Thanks for the heads up. I have the In ltch and utah. Just was thinking about the AZ permit too.

Currently, there are 28 other states that honor the Indiana License to Carry a Handgun:

AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, IA, ID, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, and WY.

With an out-of-state Arizona permit ($60 for five years,) add the following seven states:
    DE, KS, NE, NM, NV, OH, WV. Notes: WA excluded. KS and NM honor AZ permits but not UT.
    NV honors AZ permits but neither FL nor UT permits.

With an out-of-state Florida permit ($117 for seven years,) add the following seven states:
    DE, KS, NE, NM, OH, WA, WV. Note: KS and NM honor FL permits but not UT permits.

With an out-of-state Utah permit ($51.25 for five years plus required UT class,) add the following six states:
    DE, MN, NE, OH, WA, WV. Note: MN honors UT permits but not AZ or FL permits.

Recognition, reciprocity, and preemnption are a monstrous barrel (not can) of worms, and the worms are always moving and always changing.

The Ohio-Arizona reciprocity agreement is an excellent example of "Who's on first?"

After the first page of multiple "Wheras" paragraphs, on the second page, one part of one sentence seems to imply one must be a resident of AZ for OH to recognize the permit. However, the Ohio AG website lists AZ as a reciprocal state with no qualifiers, and even the Ohio Assistant Attorney General who handles these issues didn't know about the fuzzy language. He, also stated this is lower on his priority list than littering and, if he received a call from any LEO in Ohio asking about it, he would simply say "yes," Ohio honors all AZ permits.

However, he does not make the policy and cannot issue any binding opinion; so, we are stuck with what it is at this time.

Clear as mud, right?

For the OP, here, he does not need another permit to cover Ohio, as he already has the UT permit, which has very reasonable renewal fees (but requires a fairly expensive, special class at first.) The only reason, in this case, that I see, for the AZ permit is to pick up KS, NM, and NV, which do not--the last time I checked--honor the UT permit.

What a mess!

Top Bottom