• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Ok I get it now I think. The problem is she was in London when she said it. I know very little about the subject of when and where it is accepted to disagree with our government.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Ok I get it now I think. The problem is she was in London when she said it. I know very little about the subject of when and where it is accepted to disagree with our government.

You can disagree with the government any time any where that you wish. I also have the right to tell you what I think of your comments.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Stop it! Stop trying to shift the argument to better ground for you.

I might disagree with my government in a house, I might disagree with my government with a mouse, or with a fox or in a box, or with Sam I am.

For some it will be acceptable, for others it will not. For those to whom it's not acceptable, they are free to:

1. Speak out against me
    2. Talk about me like a dog
    3. Purchase and burn my CDs
    4. Protest at my place of business
    5. Refuse to buy my products
    6. Denounce me on a soapbox in the park

What don't you get? Having a right to do something doesn't mean it's okay to do it. If you think it's okay, that's your right, too.

You keep acting like THEIR exercise of freedom is okay, but OUR exercise of freedom is somehow tainted.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

This post of mine was NOT sarcasm, it was not typed in pink and a :rolleyes: was not added. I did a little reading and realized why they were called out for what they did.

Stop it! Stop trying to shift the argument to better ground for you.

I might disagree with my government in a house, I might disagree with my government with a mouse, or with a fox or in a box, or with Sam I am.

For some it will be acceptable, for others it will not. For those to whom it's not acceptable, they are free to:

1. Speak out against me
    2. Talk about me like a dog
    3. Purchase and burn my CDs
    4. Protest at my place of business
    5. Refuse to buy my products
    6. Denounce me on a soapbox in the park

What don't you get? Having a right to do something doesn't mean it's okay to do it. If you think it's okay, that's your right, too.

You keep acting like THEIR exercise of freedom is okay, but OUR exercise of freedom is somehow tainted.

What ground am I trying to get? I couldn't care less what the Dixie Chicks or any other musicians say or where they say it. I'm still an American though and I love it here.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Did you even read what you quote?:dunno:

Continuing to support said band IMHO is continuing to support her political stance...

I made it bigger so maybe this time you might see it:
    ...speaking for most real country music fans, we would NEVER support the political stance of Natalie Maines with our $.

I can't speak for the sisters Martie and Emily, but I still won't throw money at them...

I still like a Mellencamp song or two. Totally different circumstance but the same reasoning applies. I would never support his music with my dollars due to his openly stated politics.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I made it bigger so maybe this time you might see it:

I still like a Mellencamp song or two. Totally different circumstance but the same reasoning applies. I would never support his music with my dollars due to his openly stated politics.

Making it bigger, and slightly insulting, doesn't make it any less misleading in saying most country music fans love the Dixie Chicks in which your submitting your own opinion as fact and then stating that you don't support her opinion. Like I said in my own opinion continuing to support them is supporting her opinion.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Hmmm

I'm anti- Ditsy Twits. Pro Toby Keith.

They both sing pretty good but Toby isn't tone deaf to his audience.

If I ever go to another concert, (unlikely) I'll be taking a sign that says "SHUT UP AND SING!"

Most people don't go to a concert to listen to poilitical speech.:twocents:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    How the F did "legal" get into it? Who said the DC were illegal? They legally violated a tradition, their fans legally boycotted them. Hello, anyone in there?

Tradition doesn't bind anybody to anything. Claiming it is tradition to not speak against the president in time of war is grasping at straws, at best. For you it's tradition. For someone else it isn't.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Making it bigger, and slightly insulting, doesn't make it any less misleading in saying most country music fans love the Dixie Chicks in which your submitting your own opinion as fact and then stating that you don't support her opinion. Like I said in my own opinion continuing to support them is supporting her opinion.

The fact is the Chicks were at the top of the charts in record sales, concert attendance, awards, and everything associated. Most country music fans loved them is totally supported by their documented success.

Since the mentioned announcement, they are a lit match in comparison to to the forest fire they once were. This is only due to their lack of support. How long has it been since you heard a new or old Chicks song on the radio? You don't. They are not supported by the listeners, stations or advertisers.

Your insinuation that liking and supporting the music are the same is incorrect. Liking one's music has nothing to do with supporting it. Support is financial, its as simple as that. The downtrodden Dixie Chicks are proof of that.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm curious. People have said they still won't listen or buy any of the Dixie chicks music because what She said.

It's been awhile back, but there was a thread about anti-gun celebs. And A LOT of people said they would still watch their movies, because it was both good and entertaining.

How is that any different?

Neezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    i know this happened a long time ago, but Natalie got what she deserved. i mean when you are famous..........at what point does it seem like a good idea to use your microphone a your political sounding board. for example, i think Alex Baldwin is funny, but i dont like his political views. when i hear his comments, it makes me want to shy away from his programing.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sometimes it strikes me funny that people will fight tooth and nail for their rights and not care if someone is made uncomfortable by and then that same person will get ten kinds of pissed off when someone else excercises their right to say what they feel becuase it made them uncomfortable. You are either for people having rights or you are not. Pick a side and get on it. I don't care what the Dixie Chicks said, they are not asking me to agree with it. They are not forcing it upon me so therefore they have the right to say what they want. Don't like it, don't listen but it is not your place to condemn them for excercising a right anymore than someone making you take your gun off because you are bothering the sheeple. Hypocracy is a *****.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Sometimes it strikes me funny that people will fight tooth and nail for their rights and not care if someone is made uncomfortable by and then that same person will get ten kinds of pissed off when someone else excercises their right to say what they feel becuase it made them uncomfortable. You are either for people having rights or you are not. Pick a side and get on it. I don't care what the Dixie Chicks said, they are not asking me to agree with it. They are not forcing it upon me so therefore they have the right to say what they want. Don't like it, don't listen but it is not your place to condemn them for excercising a right anymore than someone making you take your gun off because you are bothering the sheeple. Hypocracy is a *****.

Of course it is my place to "condemn" anyone I want. They condemned Bush as was their right, others condemned them, which was their right.

Who, anywhere in this entire thread or anywhere in any of their criticisms argued that the Dixie Chicks didn't have a right to say what they said?

This strawman isn't even made of straw, it's made of downy feathers.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I use to like the chick that played the banjo....after the big mouth one opened her mouth, I tuned them out forever...not mad...just don't like them.....how come they aren't protesting obama now????? bonehead chicks

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Never was mad, still support what they said.

Just curious if you support the dems how you feel about them initiating every bit of gun control legislation in recent history?

And are you a fan of dick lugar?

Top Bottom