• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Of course they were dead on... she was just expressing an opinion and the comment accurately reflected her opinion. The sentence started with the first person... "we are ashamed..." I just never got what the big deal was! Certainly not something that deserved death threats. The thing that piseed ME off about it was that the boycott and uproar gave President W something else to smirk about. I hated his smirk..... :xmad:

Do you think the guy who said she was dead on was commenting on the accuracy of her reporting of her own opinion? Or do you think he was agreeing with the content of her opinion? Come on.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    The band didn't just deliver a kick to President Bush, but to country music and country music fans in general:

"I'd rather have a smaller following of really cool people who get it, who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith. We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

And,

In June 2006, Emily Robison noted the lack of support from other country music performers: "A lot of artists cashed in on being against what we said or what we stood for because that was promoting their career, which was a horrible thing to do. ... A lot of pandering started going on, and you'd see soldiers and the American flag in every video. It became a sickening display of ultra-patriotism."

And,

Maines commented, "The entire country may disagree with me, but I don't understand the necessity for patriotism. Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country ... I don't see why people care about patriotism."

Dixie Chicks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Such insults chased the Dixie Chicks off radio, not just their spouting off overseas.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    In June 2006, Emily Robison noted the lack of support from other country music performers: "A lot of artists cashed in on being against what we said or what we stood for because that was promoting their career, which was a horrible thing to do. ... A lot of pandering started going on, and you'd see soldiers and the American flag in every video. It became a sickening display of ultra-patriotism."

And,

Maines commented, "The entire country may disagree with me, but I don't understand the necessity for patriotism. Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country ... I don't see why people care about patriotism."

However you can't tell me that many Country artists don't milk the American flag for all the dollars it is worth. I have to agree with them there.

The definitely burned their bridges. This was long after lobbyists made sure that they were dead to the non-thinking portion of country music fans. (And like the general public, this is the majority.)

Patriotism today is only allowed if you are not saying something critical of the government or country. Founding Fathers would turn over in their grave. The highest form of Patriotism is challenging the government. This challenging is the only way that a Republic can be kept.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Not mad, I just will not listen or buy their songs. They can say what they want, I can choose to spend my money how I want.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Not mad, I just will not listen or buy their songs. They can say what they want, I can choose to spend my money how I want.

President Bush showed more grace than the Chicks did at the time:

President Bush responded to the controversy in an interview with Tom Brokaw on April 24:
    The Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say ... they shouldn't have their feelings hurt just because some people don't want to buy their records when they speak out ... Freedom is a two-way street ... I don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America. It stands in stark contrast to Iraq .. (courtesy the wiki article I linked above)

Death threats are too much and deserve jail time. Not buying their music is a legitimate form of disagreement and should not have produced their endless wails of self pity.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Dixie sluts were dancing chickens . Pepole listened to them not for thier political views.
    Let them play to Lilth Fair lesbos and leftists their real audience , since they didn't have a clue to as who was thier first one was.
    Very well spoken.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Let me clarify my stance on the chicks, it is not that they made a statement about Bush it was the fact that it seemed very unpatriotic. Right or wrong our Men and Women go to war whether they agree with it or not and put their lives on the line and for someone to be overseas shaking their head at the fact that we are going to war. Granted at the time I was still in high school so as to what was actually said I am sure was completely blown out of the water as to the quotes I am looking up now. As far as what was said I think it was a lot more disenfranchising because of where it was said. You have troubles at home, you keep them at home just my :twocents:
    They said nothing derogatory about the armed forces, just the president.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    For those upset about the Dixie Chicks' comments being made in a time of war, technically we haven't been at war since WWII. That was the last time we made an official declaration of war.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm completely lost. I never really heard what they said or did anyway. The one quote I've read is that Natalie Maines said she was ashamed Bush is from Texas. I've read much worse things said about our current president on this forum.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm completely lost. I never really heard what they said or did anyway. The one quote I've read is that Natalie Maines said she was ashamed Bush is from Texas. I've read much worse things said about our current president on this forum.

But that's okay, because it's different.

So, you get my point:)

I find it pathetic when someone just ignores the point made by the other side in order to argue a point with which they think they can win.

So you two just pat each other on the back in your sad little smugness and pretend that someone was arguing that you can't criticize the President.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I wasn't arguing anything, just making an observation.

Interesting that you avoid the fact that we officially aren't at war with another country and haven't been since WWII. So your statement about criticizing the president during a time of war is rendered moot and baseless.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Congress has the power to declare war. The Constitution does not specify the procedure by which they must do so. Congress authorized both of Bush's wars, but not Clinton's or Obama's. There are no magic words that must be uttered. Congress has the power.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    I think they got what was comming to them. John Lennon screwed himself when he stated that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ. Pride always comes before the fall.
    He said that long before the Beatles fell apart and before he was assassinated. Not a very good point....

I was never mad at the dixie chicks. I just didn't like their music in the first place. Honestly, there are a lot of business owners that are dumbasses around here. I don't quit going to their business because they said something dumb. I just ignore them.

I find it ironic that a lot of right-wingers complain about lefty's and their PC but when some girls open their mouth they're surprised something dumb comes out and get all butt hurt. :Maybepurple?:

Top Bottom