Are you Good Enough to take a Travis Haley Adaptive Handgun Course?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Have you been through any classes at all? Local companies?

Home trained by myself and my dad. I Haven't taken any classes yet; though I am looking to do either carbine/handgun 1 which I understand are the beginner courses. I am by no means a expert, but I know my way around a gun.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I had the same question, was I good enough to take that class. As I learned I wasn't good enough not to take that class. We have access to some excellent training by dedicated professionals. If you take self defense seriously you owe it to yourself to get training.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    some trainers dont have a multizillion dollar company and employes to worry about and they follow Laws based off ITAR and other state laws etc...

I wasn't knocking any particular trainer. I just meant there are trainers out there who would allow him in class. Who a trainer allows or doesn't, for whatever reason, is their business. No one can serve everyone's training needs. Generally though, if you have a training need, someone out there provides a resource to fill it. I just wanted him to know that he might find what he is looking for elswhere.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Home trained by myself and my dad. I Haven't taken any classes yet; though I am looking to do either carbine/handgun 1 which I understand are the beginner courses. I am by no means a expert, but I know my way around a gun.

A local class or two in a multi-student environment might really open your eyes. There could be things that you aren't exposed to, especially in the area of safety, that could greatly enhance your learning (in the high dollar class) if put behind you.

No offense, but I have seen lots of folks new to a multi-shooter environment that are just unnerved at safety warnings that they have never been exposed to. The same would go for others around the "newby" who fear getting shot.

Muzzle awareness, finger off the trigger and guns not being handled until commands are given are just a few of the things that if second nature will make your class a learning experience as opposed to a safety concern for all. Some folks are even out of place wearing eye-pro for the first time.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you own a firearm then you should/need/want to be ready to take a basic intro training class, or a 101.

Owning a handgun for whatever purpose brings with it the responsibility of understanding the basic rules of safety of firearm

People that are afraid, ashamed to go and shoot in front of other people because they are a bad shot, or think they will embarrass themselves need to get over it.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    A local class or two in a multi-student environment might really open your eyes. There could be things that you aren't exposed to, especially in the area of safety, that could greatly enhance your learning (in the high dollar class) if put behind you.

No offense, but I have seen lots of folks new to a multi-shooter environment that are just unnerved at safety warnings that they have never been exposed to. The same would go for others around the "newby" who fear getting shot.

Muzzle awareness, finger off the trigger and guns not being handled until commands are given are just a few of the things that if second nature will make your class a learning experience as opposed to a safety concern for all. Some folks are even out of place wearing eye-pro for the first time.
    Will do; thanks for the advice.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I see someone write or hear them say that they're not good enough to take a class yet, it kind of reminds me of people who believe they sin too much to go to church. If you were already "good enough," you wouldn't need the class.

Top Bottom