• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I was just pondering my next firearm purchase and I wondered if I should venture out or stick to the brand (S&W) that I just recently purchased. I will more than likely venture, because I dont want to limit myself on the number of firearms to own :D

I know there are people out there exclusive to just one brand (biggest example, which you probably didnt know about, is the Glock cult). Just curious who out there is dedicated to just one brand. What is that brand and how did you decide? Is it a family-history-sort-of thing? Don't trust other brands? Afraid of change? Just want to hear thoughts

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Depends. My first carry gun was a Glock 19. I wanted something a little smaller for summer carry, so I bought a Glock 26, just because the magazines are interchangeable, and was the same platform. It's the same reason why I just bought a Glock 17.

I believe in keeping all your self protection handguns similiar.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I don't consciously make brand specific purchases but it seems like I usually gravitate towards S&W revolvers and Remington Shotguns. Everything else is a grab bag.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I didn't start out that way - but it has ended up that way.

All of a sudden most of my meager "collection" belong to one major manufacturer.

Two of them to another major player

One to another major.

I USED to believe in "quantity rules" and had many more European models in the stable.

Now, though, (Again, through happenstance) - all are American.

It just so happened that the one I've ended up with the most of - had the most options for me to pick and choose from coupled with good availability & affordable prices at the time/s I was looking to buy.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Not brand loyal, but not against any particular brand either. My favorite pistols are American, Yugo, and German (BZZ! ISSC). That list can change by the day, or hour.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never considered myself brand exclusive, but when I start looking for a new gun, I seem to gravitate to S&W. I do however, have a Ruger Mark I that is a damn fine old gun. And I would dearly love to get a Ruger Vaquero, a new Hunter MARK III, and a Single 10.

I also have several S&W guns that I want, such as a 686 in a 3" barrel, a .44 magnum 629, and a Model 66 with a 3" barrel.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It depends. When it comes to something to compete with or carry I tend to stay almost exclusively with the same brand. Since I'm getting a lot of trigger time I want to be as familiar with my chosen guns as I can be and by keeping them as similar as possible I'm not spending time adapting to something radically different when I'm on the competition field or out on the town with my family.

Now, when it comes to collecting something it is wide open! I'll buy any brand or model if it is something I want to add to a collection that will most likely not be used for anything other than collecting to pass down to my son or daughter or range plinking fun.

My chosen brand came after watching others shoot both in real life and on TV plus a lot of trial and error. I've owned a lot of different brands of gun and genuinely like every one I've had the pleasure of owing...but I do tend to look at Glock first when considering a new pistol.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am not brand specific. If I am happy with a particular product, I tend to buy the next one with that in mind.

I still believe that Winchester Model 70's are the best production bolt guns, but that does not keep me from buying a Remington or Savage if a particular model has features that I like.
    I am partial to the 1911 chassis, and there are 5 or so brands of those that I believe do a good job. Since the great old COLT revolvers are now collectable, I am down to S&W or Ruger for shooting. I like the Beretta O/U shotguns but I have my eyes aimed at a Ceasar Guerini Trap gun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not brand exclusive. But I just wrote stuff down on a piece of paper and figured out most of our guns are S&W or Ruger. Of course these companies have multiple models or pistols and rifles.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Depends. My first carry gun was a Glock 19. I wanted something a little smaller for summer carry, so I bought a Glock 26, just because the magazines are interchangeable, and was the same platform. It's the same reason why I just bought a Glock 17.

I believe in keeping all your self protection handguns similiar.

I see the merit in that. I am too much of a visual person, aesthetics are what draw me in. They aren't the most attractive guns, to me, so I would hate having a Glock collection since they all look very similar. Nothing against you or Glock, just my preference. As far as protection goes, I don't really care about visuals. If it goes bang when it should, I don't care what it looks like

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There are some brands I really like and some not so much. But that's mostly because the companies I like best tend to make stuff I want to buy.

For example, from the most common brands, I like Smith, Walther, Ruger because I have those and I like what I have. I don't really care for Glock because they don't make anything I really want enough to spend the money. But if they came out with a gun I want, it would certainly be in the running. I never really cared for Springfield that much until they produced the xds. If they'd have introduced the 9 sooner I may have bought that instead of the shield.

I never considered myself brand exclusive, but when I start looking for a new gun, I seem to gravitate to S&W. I do however, have a Ruger Mark I that is a damn fine old gun. And I would dearly love to get a Ruger Vaquero, a new Hunter MARK III, and a Single 10.

I also have several S&W guns that I want, such as a 686 in a 3" barrel, a .44 magnum 629, and a Model 66 with a 3" barrel.

That S&W avatar looks awesome. I'm biding my time waiting for the right price on an E-Series SC.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I see the merit in that. I am too much of a visual person, aesthetics are what draw me in. They aren't the most attractive guns, to me, so I would hate having a Glock collection since they all look very similar. Nothing against you or Glock, just my preference. As far as protection goes, I don't really care about visuals. If it goes bang when it should, I don't care what it looks like

One reason to go with Glock: You can buy a bunch of them and if the wife asks, "is that another new gun?"

You can say, "no honey that's just the Glock. I've had it forever."

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I don't care how the gun looks. As long as it's reliable when I need it to be, that's what matters.

I tried the M&P, and while they look a lot better than the Glocks, the one I had gave me nothing but problems. So I sold it for another Glock.

I'm not a gun collector. My guns are to be used for shooting and protection and SHTF. Looks won't matter when the SHTF.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What a great country we live in where we have so many choices, eh?

I don't consider myself that brand loyal but in my meager collection, I've got more S&W's than any other brand--it's just the way things turned out, I guess. I just buy what I like.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I don't care how the gun looks. As long as it's reliable when I need it to be, that's what matters.

I tried the M&P, and while they look a lot better than the Glocks, the one I had gave me nothing but problems. So I sold it for another Glock.

I'm not a gun collector. My guns are to be used for shooting and protection and SHTF. Looks won't matter when the SHTF.

Fair enough. I dont mind the Glock looks, I just like variety personally. And I definitely agree with you, if SHTF then looks dont matter.

.......Unless its a Hi-point. Then I'd rather have the S-covered fan... :D

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just adding up. In my immediate family (father, sister, wife) we have 11 Smith and Wessons. 3 J frames, 3 M&Ps, 3 1911s and 2 rifles. All 3 households are currently using S&W for carry and home defense.

Top Bottom