Are you adding any specific preps for Ebola?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    For people like you (who think ahead and prep), your chances of contacting a virus like this are very tiny. Worst-case scenario, it's not a fast-spreading disease and you know about it in time to stay home.

More likely scenario, the real problem here is panic and people's reaction. And most likely you'll have some basics so you don't have to go to the grocery store and gas station when everyone else is.

If I really have to bug in, we probably have enough of the basics such as food, water, firewood, etc.

What I would be concerned about is if we have all bills paid and/or enough necessary accessible methods to pay necessary bills such as mortgage and electricity if a bug-in gets extended.

In the interest of being able to STAY home, the most important prep is to be healthy. We are scheduling checkups we have otherwise postponed. I'm also getting extra work gloves, good shoes, etc to minimize the chance of injury.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    More likely scenario, the real problem here is panic and people's reaction. And most likely you'll have some basics so you don't have to go to the grocery store and gas station when everyone else is.

If I really have to bug in, we probably have enough of the basics such as food, water, firewood, etc.

What I would be concerned about is if we have all bills paid and/or enough necessary accessible methods to pay necessary bills such as mortgage and electricity if a bug-in gets extended.

I think this^^ is the most prudent plan of action. Regional quarantines and emergency declarations would be a likely response by our govts if the cases develop into large waves.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I heard from a reliable source that their hospital cannot get the proper PPE for Ebola. Of course, we hope that the US only has a few cases and they go to the few well-prepared treatment centers.

Meanwhile, I think it is best we don't try to buy the likely gear. The fact is that if Ebola becomes more contagious, you'll need to bug-in. If you do end up approaching someone with Ebola, that gear is only going to work for you once unless you have a dilute bleach shower to use before you remove it, another set of gear to handle the dirty gear, and an autoclave. Doesn't look autoclavable anyway.

At this time, the hospitals need the gear and even if you find it, it will be expensive.

Wait until this particular scare dies down, then get gear appropriate for caring for infectious disease in general, even if you can't get the perfect gear for each disease. You then have something to use if you have to approach or care for someone with a contagious disease. You'll get a better price, and you won't be keeping it from where it is needed now.

The epidemic needs to be fought in west Africa to keep it from spreading. I'll venture a guess that a donation to Doctors without Borders might be as good an investment as your personal preps are.

Top Bottom