• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I am getting into trapping this year and was wondering if anyone else trapped? If so what do you trap and what kind of traps do you use? I am leaning towards water trapping only this year. I just got 12-220's, 4-160's, and 6-110 canibears. I also picked up 12-1.5 foot holds and 12- #1 long springs. I did a little coyote snaring last year with my buddy and loved it so I am sure I will do that also. Thanks

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    do a little when i can find the time love to do it. i got alot off duke traps they where cheap and they work pretty good.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I shared a trap line with a friend when I was 12 thru about 15 years old. We mostly water trapped for muskrat back then we got $5 a piece for them. we also got the occasional coon they were worth around $35 to $45... We always Dove hunted keeping only the breast and saving the carcasses to use in our traps. It was a lot of fun and a great expirience. We would get up around 5am and run the trap line before School every two or three days. Then on alternating days we would check it in the evening after School...It was more fun than a paper route and made about the same amount of money...

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    This year will be a good year to learn how to put up fur with the prices expected. I mainly put out a water trap line. Usually 25-35 #11's, #1.5's, #110's, and a small beaver line. Small potatoes but good fun. It is the only hobby I have that returns any of my investment which is a nice bonus. Used to do more coyote/fox stuff but I prefer water lines. Buckets work really well with the coni's and aren't affected by freezing and water levels. Good luck.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Do you know what the prices are going to be around this year?

This year will be a good year to learn how to put up fur with the prices expected. I mainly put out a water trap line. Usually 25-35 #11's, #1.5's, #110's, and a small beaver line. Small potatoes but good fun. It is the only hobby I have that returns any of my investment which is a nice bonus. Used to do more coyote/fox stuff but I prefer water lines. Buckets work really well with the coni's and aren't affected by freezing and water levels. Good luck.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    I would GUESS about $4-$8 avg. for coons, $3 avg. for rats, $10 avg. for mink, coyotes ? (might not be able to give them away), $10-$20 beaver. In the late 90's we averaged $24 on coons one year. The market is down pretty bad but it has fluctuated like this before. 1987 I think was the last big drop. Putting up fur properly takes time and practice so better practicing on $5 coon than $20 coon. Beaver and muskrat are the safest bet this year from what I have heard.

Last edited:

medic67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Columbus IN
    Properly put up and tanned furs can be sold at flea markets, ebay and so on for far better prices than selling green or raw. Does take a lot of time but can be enjoyable and profitable.

Top Bottom