Are lone Wolf Barrels worth it on a glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are Lone Wolf barrels worth it on a glock?

• Total voters

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm bebating on getting one for my G20SF in 10mm. The glock barrel I have now is just fine, but if I can get even better accuracy out of a lone wolf barrel then I think it'd be worth the $120.

What are your thoughts?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Need another option: Yes, if you want to shoot lead.
    I know, others will chime in and say they do it all them time in their stock barrels.

I thought about it, but I'm not concerned about shooting lead. Maybe I was just being selfish.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    If you placed a Glock with a stock barrel and a Glock with a Lone Wolf barrel in a vise and shot them at the same distance with the same ammo would one be any more accurate then the other?

I guess I would focus more on improving the shooters accuracy then attempting to improve accuracy by "upgrading" parts.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have always had good luck with barrels from Lone Wolf. Actually, I have had much more expensive barrels that gave me fits. Never any issues from Lone Wolf...

Honestly, I can't say I ever saw better accuracy from the traditional rifled barrel though... I bought them for a couple other reasons...

Didn't want to worry about keeping a close eye on leading even though I have never found it to be a issue with the cast bullets I use anyhow.

Biggest reason was for better chamber support, particulary in .40 S&W. Not so worried about a kaboom, but just figured less work at the bench and would also extend the life of the brass.

If you don't plan on shooting lead and if chamber support in that 10mm barrel you have is fine, I'm not sure it would be worth it... It all would come down to if it was were more accurate for YOU.....

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I'm bebating on getting one for my G20SF in 10mm. The glock barrel I have now is just fine, but if I can get even better accuracy out of a lone wolf barrel then I think it'd be worth the $120.

What are your thoughts?

Glocks, in general, are more inherently accurate than anyone can hold them. Replacing the barrel in a Glock for improved accuracy is, in my opinion, a waste of money. Additionally, I have witnessed many instances of Glocks malfuntioning with various "trick" parts.

Clint Smith said it well:
    If you cannot identify a specific problem that can be rectified by adding something to or changing something for, then don't do it. Additionally, even though a change might fix some "problem," the fix might very well create additional, more serious problems. The cure can, easily, be worse than the disease, if, indeed, there really was a problem in the first place.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Hilton yam of 10-8 perfromance fame hs recently taken to the smith and wesson M&P line. H invested in an aftermarket barrel as his m&P would only group 6" at 25 yards with 115-124 grain loads, but 147's grouped 3". this suggests accuracy in pistols will be very dependant on ammo type.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Lonewolf barrels are generally used for those wanting to shoot lead, have ports and put a suppressor on their gun.

Many who are looking for more use KKM, Storm Lake or Bar-Sto barrels.

The chamber on the Storm Lake I ran on my Glock 35 was so tight, I had to send it back to have them open up a little because it wouldn't shoot my reloads, chamber tolerances were just that tight. And that's after I ran brass through a resizing die a few times.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    If you want better accuracy, get a fitted barrel. The drop in stuff might help, depending on how the tolerances stack, but probably won't.

What a decent aftermarket drop in barrel will do, ESPECIALLY in 10mm, is extend your brass life. I used a KKM (generally reputed to be better than the LWD ones) in my old G20, as the stocker would leave leave bellies on medium loads and full on smilies on full power 10mm loads. It did not have any appreciable effect on accuracy though.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you want better accuracy, get a fitted barrel. The drop in stuff might help, depending on how the tolerances stack, but probably won't.

What a decent aftermarket drop in barrel will do, ESPECIALLY in 10mm, is extend your brass life. I used a KKM (generally reputed to be better than the LWD ones) in my old G20, as the stocker would leave leave bellies on medium loads and full on smilies on full power 10mm loads. It did not have any appreciable effect on accuracy though.

That's the thing, with my factory barrel I don't get any case bulges with full power loads. I'm using 200gr hornady JHP's over 9.2gr of bluedot. I did do some experimenting while working up a load to the point where I was getting a case bulge, but by that time the brass was flying 30' away and I was clearly over what the books were recommending.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    That's the thing, with my factory barrel I don't get any case bulges with full power loads. I'm using 200gr hornady JHP's over 9.2gr of bluedot. I did do some experimenting while working up a load to the point where I was getting a case bulge, but by that time the brass was flying 30' away and I was clearly over what the books were recommending.

I've heard Glock has tightened up their barrels a bit and added some chamber support. Mine was an early Gen3 and had a pretty generous feed ramp cut. If you're not getting bulge, my $.02 is that a LWD barrel would be a waste.

a 22lb recoil spring helps keep your brass from being launched into low orbit.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I use a Storm Lake Barrel in my 27. I reload and shoot a lot or reloaded ammo. I don't necessarily use the aftermarket barrel because of leading issues but also the bit more chamber support. I just prefer to use aftermarket for my style shooting. Do I really need to ..... Probably not, but I like too and got a super deal on the barrel. I can attest to my personal load that I use that I do see an increase in accuracy but mainly at longer ranges. For a primary SD pistol only I would probably leave it stock for use with factory ammo only.

dmax

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Played hooky today and went to the range. Droped in a new Wolf tube in my Glock as my original had a lot of miles on it. It was my duty piece for years. My groups shrunk 1&1/2 inch. In my case I don't shoot lead - just wanted to replace the barrel. When Bert Bastian ran Storm Lake in Washington before they moved, thier barrels were great. But lately, not so much. Have several in my 1911s. It's a good day at the range when you come home with more brass than you took. Bless those rich folks.:yesway:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    For different reasons..

I have bought 3 different Lone Wolf barrels for my Glocks for reasons other than accuracy.

The first LW I bought new, on sale for $99.95, was for my G-20-conversion barrel to .40 S&W, so that I could shoot some of the buckets of .40 S&W brass that I had around.

The second LW I bought used, on INGO, for $70.00, was in 10MM (6"), so that I could shoot lead "Target" loads in 10MM in my G-20.

The third LW I bought used, on INGO, for $50.00, was in .40 S&W, so that I could shoot lead loads in my G-22.

In conclusion, yes I do like the Lone Wolf barrels-more so for the more supported chambers, and extra "Peace of Mind" on running cast lead down the tube, than accuracy.
    Yes, I have heard of more than a few shooters that will run cast lead down the pipe of a Glock Factory barrel, but I have also read of more than a few shooters that have had problems (Read Kaboom) in shooting lead in a Glock Factory barrel.

And LW barrels can be had on the used market, in great shape, for less than new price..

As always...That's My story+I'm sticking to it..HA HA...Bill..

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    No need to buy an after market barrel unless you're wanting to get better accuracy out of cast bullets, or you intend on reloading.

With standard ammunition, the factory barrel will shoot better and at a higher velocity.

I've put 5 after market barrels in glocks, most of which KKM, and I didn't notice any accuracy difference at all.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've heard Glock has tightened up their barrels a bit and added some chamber support. Mine was an early Gen3 and had a pretty generous feed ramp cut. If you're not getting bulge, my $.02 is that a LWD barrel would be a waste.

a 22lb recoil spring helps keep your brass from being launched into low orbit.

They have tightened them up. All barrels with a dot in the center of the pentagon marking have the added chamber support. Typically they'll have a duller or grey finish.

Top Bottom