• ...and so much more!
  • Which one would you take into combat?

• Total voters

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Me and my dad have been having a argument for alittle bit. He says the M1 garand is better than the AR15. I keep saying its outdated. (I know you told me this about the mosin and I finally had to bit the bullet (pun intended) )
    So which would you take into combat today? Full loadout 210 rounds of ammo rifle, cleaning kits, mags/clips. Urban combat setting

Last edited:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    The M1 is awesome, but IMO, the nostalgia surrounding it is its greatest strength in today's world. It was great for its time, but the AR pretty well whips it in today's modern world. I'd love to have an M1 though. I've got a M1 carbine and it is also a very neat piece.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I'm talking modern combat. Clearing buildings and Urban setting.

Then definitely an AR-15. If I needed something .30 caliber, it would be an M1A (or AR-10 if I'm required to stay with the AR platform), but I'd definitely stay with something shorter than a Garand, and semi-auto.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have both, shoot both, and love both. M1 has a lot more power at distance, sights are pretty close, M1 is heavier but feels just right against your shoulder. M14 would be a better comparison since it's box fed. Give me an M14 in one of those fancy Mod stocks, oooh yea. :thumbsup:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I LOVE the M1, but all it has on the AR is a larger caliber and nostalgia. Have you seen 30-06 prices recently? :n00b:

I have neither but I'd rather have an AR with a collapsible stock and permanent A2 carry handle/sight with 20" barrel.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Depends on area of battle. Urban, jungle, areas where you'd expect close shooting an AR. Areas where there are rolling hills, long open vistas, mountian to mountain fighting an M1, even though an M14 would be more gooder! ;)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If I was a member of a tactical team, I would be carrying whatever the team needs to accomplish the mission. Which would probably mean an AR15 or similar for room clearing and all that fancy stuff.

Since it just me, and I realize that room clearing for a solo operator is suicide, I opt for the power, range, and accuracy of the Garand. Or a scoped bolt gun....

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    I voted for the AR-15 due to the capacity of the magazine and the adaptability of the AR platform to a variety of applications. Patton was right when he called the Garand the greatest weapon ever conceived, but then again, Patton didn't live very long after World War II.

That being said, I'd rather have an M-1A or an F.A.L. over either the AR or Garand in a combat situation.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Or OC vs CC

Lets see how long it takes for ATM to show up

This was a test of the emergency debate broadcast system. It was only a test.

In the event of an actual OC vs CC question or discussion my response would have been swift and decisive.

We now return you to your normallly scheduled programming.

I'd favor the AR for 0-300 yards.

Top Bottom