• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Looking around a bit, Del-ton seems to be an economical way to go to build an AR-15. I can't seem to find much in the way of A1 build kits, so have decided to go with a 16" CAR-15 build instead. The longer buttstock of the A2 simply doesn't fit me, certainly won't fit Cathy, and I think the adjustable buttstock will make it nicer for Cathy and Sean to both use. Cathy handled a Bushmaster and S&W M4s at the store tonight, and was initially concerned by what she felt was the "cheaper" feel of the adjustable buttstock compared to the fixed A1 buttstock on the Century AR15 we have. I assured her that the stocks are plenty rugged.

While I always preferred the full sized M16s to the CAR15s in the service, I think the carbine length gun may also be better suited to use in the home, and in the shorter range, mostly defensive, needs we'd face in a SHTF situation. I have pretty much decided on a lightweight barrel, but would welcome input on the advantages of a lightweight vs heavyweight 16" barrel.

Anyone have any input on the quality of Del-ton guns and parts? Their 16" Lightweight Rifle Kit with A2 upper only runs $475, and a stripped lower is $120. I haven't yet added up what it would cost to buy all the parts seperately, but I figure it would be even less. I'm kind of balancing, and trying to decide between, the hassle and time of building the thing from the ground up instead of just buying the whole kit, vs the learning opportunities and fun of building from ground up.

As mentioned elsewhere, my goal is to end up with a basic, no frills fighting rifle, with functionality, dependability, and durability as prime requirements. Budget is under $700.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Joe for your budget you can find a decent used brand name rifle or buy a new basic rifle. There was someone saying that CDNN (I think) had Flat Top S&W rifles for $699 plus a $100 Rebate. Unless you just want the pleasure of building your own rifle I'd look for a deal on a name brand gun. Just my $.02

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I would like to hear from some Del-Ton customers on what they think of their products and what not. I like the 16" Dissipator kit! probably be the one I get here soon.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    when i made my delon order i considered the disipator but went with a plain jain light weight 16 in. it functions perfect and is as accurate as i need it to be. if i had the choice to make over id chose delton again. pm indygunworks, somtimes he is a delton dealer

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Del-ton seems to have good rep over at AR15.com..... but even as someone who usually assembles my own ARs, these $700 +/- S&W ARs sound pretty good too.

Or the CMMG bargin bin rifles when they are available. I have seen some of the CMMG rifles and most have looked absolutely like new. The others had a nick or scratch here or there.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I have a 16" delton upper and it has been great. I have ran it with both .223 and a cmmg .22 conversion kit and it has functioned flawlessly. The only problems I have encountered were caused by cheap/old ammo (wolf steel cased).

For the price Delton delivers and excellent product. If you would like to check out one of their uppers and find yourself around the westside of Indy drop me a PM.

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    I would pass on Del-ton as long as the super deals from S&W are available. Actually, I pass on Del-ton even when S&W deals aren't available. Pat Rogers, among others, generally recommend S&W ARs as their budget choice. Sadly, you will be stuck with a 1 in 9" twist but at least it will be reliable, durable, and have the backing of S&W's world class customer service.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I am a Del-ton customer, and pleased. For comparison, I also have a factory Smith and Wesson M&P15 that is a very nice carbine.

The finish on the Del-ton upper is a little more "Purple" than the flatter black on the M&P15, but this will only be noticeable if you have a lower that is more black than purple.

As far as internals like bltt, carrier, etc. I really don't see any difference right now in wear on either rifle. Both have probably a little over 2k rounds through them, and are showing some light polishing on the surfaces that you would expect. I do think that the S&W does a bit more in quality control than Del-Ton with regards to MPI on their parts.

The gas key on my Del-Ton bolt carrier is properly staked, and if you set the two side by side it would be tough to tell them apart.

Both of the rifles have 1-9 chrome lined barrels. Believe it or not, I give a slight edge to the Del-Ton upper in terms of finish on the exterior of the barrel itself. The finish is much more even and smooth on the Del-ton, and after a light coat of oil looks a little better to the eye.

As far as lower parts go, I think Del-ton uses LPK's from another manufacturer (DPMS maybe?) but can't say that for sure. The trigger on the Delton was actually a little better than the M&P15, but after a DIY hammer and sear polish on the M&P their both running the same now.

The AR15.com feedback was what convinced me to go with the Del-Ton complete kit, and I was not at all disspointed.

My only word of caution would be to check into the current Del-Ton backlog and lead times. Because of their quality and reputation, they seem to always be running at capacity and have backlogs. I bought my kit back in Nov 08 (anyone remember what happened then? ;)) and got it about 3 months later. They do have a good customer service dept and are good about keeping you updated.

So, would I buy another kit from Del-Ton - YES! Would I buy another M&P15 - YES! Both have been great EBR's for me and all this talk is giving me the itch to get another! I think you will be happy with either. The advantage goes to the Del-Ton kit if you want to have the pleasure of building your own.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Forgot to comment on the light vs. heavy barrel. I did some reading on this, and convinced myself to go with the 16" HBAR midlength gas system. The extra weight is noticeable, but not to the level that would make me any less comfortably using it vs. a lightweight carbine barrel.

An advantage of the midlength HBAR is that the already mild recoil of the AR is made even more tame due to the slightly longer gas system and extra barrel weight. I run mine with and H2 buffer and it really doesn't have much more recoil than a .22 mag.

For a general purpose carbine I think the lightweight barrel and carbine gas system will be just fine, with maybe just a bit snappier recoil than the midlength gas system or rifle length guns.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    I have been very happy with Del-ton. Product quality was very good. Only problem i had was how long the wait was.

Top Bottom