• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    I've read many great responses on this topic so I will just put in a little info from one of the OP comments, you said you are looking to spend $1000 for complete gun/optic setup, so with that being in my mind I would lean towards a Stevens rifle for the action and build from there. Action $300 providing you get right boldface for the round you choose, $200 barrel, $200 stock, leaves you $300 for a decent mid priced Nikon or Redfield scope or whatever flavor you like.

You could also find a used Savage or Remington or CZ or Tikka or Howa that would also do the ranges you're after. Really there are many options out there but a few select manufactures like the Savage/Stevens or even the Marlin X guns are easily configured to other calibers by the average mechanically inclined guy.

Caliber wise their is so many selections to get to those ranges accurately it really depends on you, don't count out the good old 243 either.

Bottom line one I don't have the answer for you just some opinions as well but in the end find what makes you happy, handle as many guns at stores as you can and decide which one is already how you want it or which one is cheap and you want to modify and go from there, myself I like to modify all my guns without having to pay a gunsmith.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I am definately sticking with a NATO round, 7.62x51 most likely for availability and cost. As for the rifle, I am going to shoot some of my buddies and handle as many others as I can before making a purchase. I am in no hurry to buy / build this rifle so I plan on taking my time and doing it right from the beggining.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Remington 700 if you were closer id invite you over. The 700 platform will yield you with the best results. They also have limitless upgrades. I have a sps tactical AAC. It has all sorts of stuff

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    For the distance he wants to shoot and his budget he can get a 700 and some decent vortex viper glass and be happy as a clam. If its gonne be your first time out to 800m go with a bolt gun over semi. Save some $$ on ammo. Ammo is all over the place easy to find. To be honest look into building a SPR. May be a little out of budget but it uses .556 and with 77gr black hills 600yrd shots are doable.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I agree with the going with a bolt action be it a 700, or savage. With a 1000 dollar budget that doesnt leave room for a precision AR, and Optics. Im not saying a AR can not be accurate, Im saying for 1000 bucks it cant be done in the AR platform.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    On an ar a precision platform is gonna be over budget. If you had a budget of 1500 maybe a little more you could build one. Ps 427 up there is the man on vortex optics. You give him a budget and he will let ya know the best bet for your hard earned $$

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Lots of range time means lots of money no matter what you shoot. My experience also tells me that taking the least expensive route with 5.56 or 7.62x51 commercial ammo does not equate with the kind of accuracy I want. If you are stuck on those calibers, give up the metric mindset and either reload or shoot commercial match ammo in .223 or .308. The real bottom line is entirely dependent upon your definition of accuracy. If you're happy with 2" groups at 100 yards, you have many options. If you want 1/2" at 100, you need decent equipment, decent ammo, and lots of practice. Either way, it's gonna' be fun. :)

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I'd find a used Savage with an Accu-Trigger, high round count and low price tag. Call up Jim at NSS and get a nice Criterion barrel chambered in .308Win. Find a decent piece of glass from SWFA and buy some good rings. You'll have yourself a bad-to-the-bone rifle there.

I have, and love, a 6.5CM. I would NOT recommend it for a newbie to long range shooting. It's cheating. If you can accurately and repeatably put that 308 where you want it to be at a long distance, then you can actually shoot. Using the 6.5 is like hitting from the ladies tee. 308 will require you to actually learn how to shoot.

Last edited:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    flashpuppy said:
    I have, and love, a 6.5CM. I would NOT recommend it for a newbie to long range shooting. It's cheating. If you can accurately and repeatably put that 308 where you want it to be at a long distance, then you can actually shoot. Using the 6.5 is like hitting from the ladies tee. 308 will require you to actually learn how to shoot.

I don't understand this line of reasoning.

A better golf analogy would be teeing off a Par 5 using a driving iron (308) instead of a Callaway FT-5 (6.5 Creed).

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Sorry quick question, what is Moa and sub Moa?

MOA = minute of angle, about 1.047" per 100 yards.

So if your rifle averages about one-inch groups at 100yd, it has MOA accuracy. If it averages 0.75" groups at 100 yards, it has sub-MOA accuracy. Same deal when you extend the range - at 1000 yard a 8" group is sub-MOA.

Top Bottom