• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I wouldn't shoot a 5.56 indoors. The risk of over penetration is way too high.

I would go with a Rem 870 or Moss 500 20 gauge with light recoil rounds.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    1: You're not an old woman if you're in your early 50's.
    2: If you shoot the FNS and like it, that's your gun, go with it.
    3: If you want more gun than the FNS, go for an AR or 20 gauge pump gun (like 870 youth model that everyone is suggesting). You get nearly the same amount of devastation with the 20 that the 12 gauge gives and less recoil.

4: I have a judge, 9mm, AR and a 12 gauge 870. The 9mm does bedside duty with the 12 gauge backing it up nearby. I really like my AR and I think everyone should have one, but it's not my "go to" long gun for home defense (the shotgun is, not because it "spreads" but because it brings so much force and multiple wound channels). I also like my judge, but it's mostly a range toy.

5: Whatever you go with, shoot the heck out of it and consider training classes. I have taken a few and they were great investments of my time and money.

6: If you're looking for an excuse to buy an AR, just do it.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    There is a Co. that makes a carbine in 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 460 Rowland. The Co. is called Feather U.S.A.. The base carbine goes for around $600. My Son has the 45 and likes it. He tells me that it is good out to 100 yards. It will hold a five inch group at one hundred yards off hand with the iron sights. Oh, they use Glock mags.

The information I get from my Son is that it is light recoiling and a lot of stopping power in a small package. It is smaller than a AR.

Kel Tec and Hi Point also make carbines in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. They are in the $400 range.

Beretta makes one called the Cx4 that is in the same calibers as the Hi Point. It is a very nice carbine but it is very costly also. It goes for around $900.

Then there are a lot of lever actions that have been used to protect home and life for many years. They can be had from the $200 to well over a grand range used and new. If I was going with a lever action it would be hard to beat a trapper in 357mag with a 16" barrel for use in doors.

If I was looking for something to use in the home and wanted more than a hand gun I would pick a shotgun. The Remington 11-87 works for me. If I was looking for something with less recoil I would go with one of the carbines from above.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    AR15 would be your best bet. The only thing you would want to consider to put on it would be a light.

Its easy to shoot, low recoil, high round count, accurate and more stopping power then any handgun you could handle.

The Judge/Governor guns are a snake gun novelty gun that for some reason caught on with the masses. Why people think .410 or 45lc in a revolver are the bees knees i don't know.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    All of your options will do the job as long as you do YOUR job. Pick one and train with it. A 12 gauge is no good if you fire it and can't rack the slide and get your sights back on target fast enough. If you use a pistol and hit the target mutiple times quickly, your odds are much better.

The point is find somewhere you can get some training. $300 in training and a $500 gun is much better than an $800 gun you don't know how to use WELL!

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Shooting the Winchester PDX shells through the Judge may change your opinion about them as a HD weapon. For those of you not familiar it, it has 3 disks and 12 pellets and the spread is relatively small at a reasonable range. I keep the Judge loaded with PDX as my camping/travel piece. For home, it is still at close range, but so is the 870 and a 9mm :)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Without a doubt, the FIRST thing you need for home defense is a PLAN!

What will you do when you think someone is breaking in or has broken in?
    If you don't already know what you're going to do when it happens, you won't magically acquire that knowledge when it does happen.

Make the plan first, then tailor the gun to the plan.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Without a doubt, the FIRST thing you need for home defense is a PLAN!

What will you do when you think someone is breaking in or has broken in?
    If you don't already know what you're going to do when it happens, you won't magically acquire that knowledge when it does happen.

Make the plan first, then tailor the gun to the plan.

Good point.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    HD shooting

I am convinced by some of the recommendations that many people have not considered the reality of shooting inside their home. Get out your tape rule, look at the shot possibilities, take a few measurements, and you will probably find you are talking about 20-30 feet maximum, more likely much less. Regardless of what you are shooting you want to be able to get the first shot on target. If it's only a .22lr bullet or a couple of pellets of #4 to 00 buck, the first shot counts more than any other shot you may need to take.

Use the gun which gives you the best chance to get a shot ON TARGET. That's usually the gun you are most familiar with regardless of caliber, magazine capacity, cool factor, or my opinion!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Shooting the Winchester PDX shells through the Judge may change your opinion about them as a HD weapon. For those of you not familiar it, it has 3 disks and 12 pellets and the spread is relatively small at a reasonable range. I keep the Judge loaded with PDX as my camping/travel piece. For home, it is still at close range, but so is the 870 and a 9mm :)

Still very poor penetration with these.

The Box O' Truth #53 - The Taurus Judge, Revisited - Page 2

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I do not mean to be argumentative, but how is it silly. From what I have seen it packs a punch. As far as creating new ammo, well perhaps that is how things improve? I like the fact that I have a pretty good chance of hitting something with the Judge regardless of other factors. I see that you are far more experienced on the forum and perhaps the reason I am arguing for the Judge is just because I have one. However, for a weapon to take camping I think it is pretty ideal.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I should also say my EDC is a .45 and I have an 870 in the bedroom. I just like the Judge when a shotgun can't be brought along.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I do not mean to be argumentative, but how is it silly. From what I have seen it packs a punch. As far as creating new ammo, well perhaps that is how things improve? I like the fact that I have a pretty good chance of hitting something with the Judge regardless of other factors. I see that you are far more experienced on the forum and perhaps the reason I am arguing for the Judge is just because I have one. However, for a weapon to take camping I think it is pretty ideal.

In order to not be qualified as an "AOW" and be subject to a $200 NFA stamp, the judge is required to have a rifled barrel. Imparting spin on a column of shot creates a very undesirable wide pattern even at close ranges. Not only is it less than ideal to miss your intended target, you are still responsible for the pellets that did miss. The judge doesn't have a long enough barrel to gain useful velocity out of a .410 slug and there are far better options for .45LC revolvers. Add to all this the fact that they are big, heavy chunks of gun and I really can't find a use for them that wouldn't be better suited by something else.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Well. I don't have an AR, but I do have a Judge and other rifles and shot guns. Any gun can be a home defense weapon if you learn how to use it, and use it well. Consideration to if you are in an apartment, or house. What would happen if you have a 45lc or 410 and you are in an apartment. I`m sure the 45lc would probably go right thru a person at close range and probably even thru a thin wall like apartments have. Miss the person, and I know it would go thru. So maybe a smaller caliber like a 9mm or a 38sp. Anyway all I`m saying is go to a gun shop and handle some different calibers to see what feels good, shoot some of them and decide. But whatever you do decide on, PRACTICE with it. Practice and keep practicing with it, and it will serve you well. Regardless of caliber.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    One good thing about the judge, ammo company's
    are make more 45 colt rounds for defense that I can
    use in my Ruger Blackhawk.:D

Jimmy

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    I have a judge with 45LC in it, I would not want to get hit with one, it will blow a chunk off of a cement block at close range. Can also put .410 slugs in it.

Top Bottom