• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Which do you guys prefer poly mag's or metal? I have a dpms .223 carbine and also a dpms .308 and I hate the way that the metal mag's fit so I went to all poly's. Which do you guys like better?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Big fan of Pmags. Cheap, light, strong, and they always work.

Lancer mags are popular too.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I use whatever :D

P1150522.jpg

P1150253.jpg

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    I would say we have about the same amount of mag's lol but I bought a bulk case of them at the gun show in Louisville about two weeks about bought 50 new pmags off a guy for 60 bucks because he didn't want to take them home lol sold 46 of them to my brother in law for 80 bucks and have the rest for my .223

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Love my pmags! Like stated earlier, light, durable, and inexpensive. They also don't rattle like my gi mags used to. I have a Lancer L5 and a Troy Industries Battlemag but they don't like to seat properly without a hard slam. I have a few pmags and would love to get more!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    i personally like metal GI stuff.. nothing against a pmag but its kinda like a glock, plastic :wallbash:

^this.....I like things that can take a beating and keep going.....plus they're cheaper...but 3 GI's for the price of one "upper name" plastic thing that does the same job................................:twocents:

now this is going to open up the door for the "anti-GI stuff" guys to say it all malfunctions, jams, etc,etc....but for all the "bad rep" the AR platform and GI stuff gets around the civilian shooters...I've not had anywhere near enough gear mishaps, misfires, malfunctions, etc....to make me think twice about the gear the Corps gives me.....to be honest....I've had more jams/mishaps out of privately owned SKS's, AK's, brand name pistols than I have out of ANY of my GI weapons including the belt feds..and I take equally good care for all weapons I'm around

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    ^this.....I like things that can take a beating and keep going.....plus they're cheaper...but 3 GI's for the price of one "upper name" plastic thing that does the same job................................:twocents:

now this is going to open up the door for the "anti-GI stuff" guys to say it all malfunctions, jams, etc,etc....but for all the "bad rep" the AR platform and GI stuff gets around the civilian shooters...I've not had anywhere near enough gear mishaps, misfires, malfunctions, etc....to make me think twice about the gear the Corps gives me.....to be honest....I've had more jams/mishaps out of privately owned SKS's, AK's, brand name pistols than I have out of ANY of my GI weapons including the belt feds..and I take equally good care for all weapons I'm around

I'm going to get away from the GI mags, not because I think they're junk but because the ones I've got are questionable. I'm not really sure what happened to them but I have had an issue with mine. I'm not sure if it got pinched a bit but I have had to fight to get the mag free (the bolt hit the top of the mag and was a PITA to get free). My mags were pretty much donated when I got my AR pistol together so the previous owner may have tried using them as a hammer or something. If I had new GI mags, I'd have no problem running them but if I've got to buy some I'll probably just go with a polymer mag.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm going to get away from the GI mags, not because I think they're junk but because the ones I've got are questionable. I'm not really sure what happened to them but I have had an issue with mine. I'm not sure if it got pinched a bit but I have had to fight to get the mag free (the bolt hit the top of the mag and was a PITA to get free). My mags were pretty much donated when I got my AR pistol together so the previous owner may have tried using them as a hammer or something. If I had new GI mags, I'd have no problem running them but if I've got to buy some I'll probably just go with a polymer mag.

yeah. some of them the mag catch doesn't lock into place...a lot of time you can simply take a small screwdriver to it and bend the little hole in the mag out a little to catch...and then it will lock into place.....it's not biggie....

another issue with them is SOMETIME you'll get one where one side of the riser which holds the top round down in place is slightly taller than the other riser/too tall....and those mags are junk...they cause FTF consistently....those get tossed.....but I've only ran across two of those in my own posession......but all in all like I said....not enough issues for me to worry about them...they serve their purpose....and when I buy a personal group of them...I take them all out to the field to test their function

what me and a few buddies do is drill out the backs of the GI mags to provide a round indicator...doesn't affect their function any...and we can always get an idea how many is left in the mag.....I just prefer them cause they are metal and cheap.....not enough "bad luck" with them to be concerned about safety in a situation

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Love my pmags! I have yet to have an issue out of any of them.

I am not against metal mags though, and would not hesitate to use them or buy them if the price is right.

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    Answer is simple... Get both. I only buy Pmag's when the price is right and I don't care about colors. NIW USGI aluminum mags can be found as low as $8.00 shipped. Nothing wrong with either mag.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got a few PMags and they work great.
    I prefer the original Colt metal mags for the look of the original weapon. Mine's a stock Colt.
    I bought a bunch of the original mags at Elmores and got a heckofa deal at a gun show last fall.
    NO problems out of either.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Awesome seems like most like pmags for sure lol and yeah i don't care the color since my quad rail quarts are tan and the rest of my ar is black, idk of I like the tan or not but I'm not trying to be like everyone else I know and have a all black ar lol

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood

Pmags are around $12 shipped if you know where to buy them. Where are you finding metals mags for $4 each?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    To be honest, I get whatever has the best price or value at the time. I haven't had any problems with the metal or polymer mags. The polymer mags are overpriced for what they are though. I mean seriously, eighteen cents worth of plastic for how much?

Top Bottom