• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The sky is the limit. It depends on application, and budget.

Personally I do 2 things to every personal AR I own. Make sure it has a free float rail, and put a geisselle trigger in it. I prefer to keep my AR pretty simple, and don't need spotlight's, laser's, fax machine's, etc.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I run a weapon light so I can see what I'm shooting at in the dark. I run a sling because I don't always want to set my rifle down when I need both hands. Don't use nods or gas masks so no need for lasers. I don't use a fore grip/grip stop. I don't have back up irons because I run a 1-4x scope. I wrap tape around my rail where my had sits because it makes it a little more tacky and I can grip it easier. I have geiselle trigger (3g flat) because it's awesome. I like the magpul str stock because it's a comfy cheek weld and I don't get dirt and debris inside my stock. I already have a stag 3g upper so I already have the free float rail and an ok compensator.

I think the big things would be
    light (depending on usage), Inforce, Surefire, Streamlight etc.

sling (depending on usage), I run a viking tactics. Blue force, vickers etc.

Sights. Whatever works. or just run your irons

compensator/brake/flash hider. whatever floats your boat

trigger, Geiselle

rail, I like the smooth rails because quad rails aren't friendly and the little cover things aren't cheap Why buy something so you can buy more things to cover up what you just bought?

stock, Whatever floats your boat and meets your needs

somewhat in that order.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The sky is the limit. It depends on application, and budget.

Personally I do 2 things to every personal AR I own. Make sure it has a free float rail, and put a geisselle trigger in it. I prefer to keep my AR pretty simple, and don't need spotlight's, laser's, fax machine's, etc.
    Okay, so that fax machine.... Does Magpul make it, and can I mount it on my octo rail? :):

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Okay, so that fax machine.... Does Magpul make it, and can I mount it on my octo rail? :):

It depends on how tactical you are. If your high end tactical you get the fax/copier/printer in 1. That's how you separate Operator's from non operator's, a true operator has it all built into 1 unit.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As the venerable INGO philosopher, Kirk Freeman, has stated (paraphrasing) "add what solves problems." Figure out what your 'problems' are on the platform and go from there.

Also, keep in mind that not all of your accessories need to be on the rifle at all times. I have things like optics, lights and a bipod that I have, but don't necessarily keep mounted. They are there for when I use the tool in specific ways.

Doesn't necessarily apply to things like triggers. But, I'm happy (Geissele) and satisfied (PSA) with the triggers I have on my 2 ARs.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As the venerable INGO philosopher, Kirk Freeman, has stated (paraphrasing) "add what solves problems." Figure out what your 'problems' are on the platform and go from there.

1. What do you mean "venerable"? Is that a crack about my age . . . again.:D

2. That's just me stealing from Clint Smith.

My threshold test (which is stolen from Clint Smith) for putting stupid crap on the platform is: "Does this stupid thing solve a problem for me?"

My test is this: if it does, put it on. If it does not, leave it off.

Your gun, your baggage, your choice. Have it looking like Bobby Brownell threw up on it if it's your thing.

My ARs are very clean, sling, sights, slicked up triggers and non-goofy stocks that lock up like stone. I like stuff light and handy, but above all I want it to run, that's just me.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    [video=youtube;GQpfQd1397E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQpfQd1397E[/video]
    Your not cool if it doesn't look like this.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oh, yeah, one thing I always "add on" replace is the pistol grip.

I have thickish fingers for an averagish frame dude and I despise the gap.

I use the Duckbill and the Tango Down pistol grips.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    [video=youtube;GQpfQd1397E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQpfQd1397E[/video]
    Your not cool if it doesn't look like this.

How can you even shoot in the dark with that thing? It doesn't have the minimum requirement of 5 tactical ninja-lumen lights on it. What good is all that on-board ammo if you can't see your target?

1333065417378.jpg

:rolleyes:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I think the above suggestions are spot on. Define your needs and add the accessories that address those needs.
    Also agree that not all accessories need to stay on the weapon all the time.
    For me: I live in a rural area so my rifle is called on to deal with four legged varmints, as well as two legged. A flashlight is absolutely necessary. 3-9x 32 scope with 600 yard BDC because I also varmint hunt with it in the day time. Quality BUIS because scopes can/will fail plus I train to stay proficient with my iron sights. Sling.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    My ARs have Hogue grips, and Troy or POF free float rail systems. Two of them have JP triggers. All have BUIS, two have Aimpoints. I don't consider this stuff "add-ons", just part of the build.

Now for "add-ons" I like a light. I can not state strongly enough how important a weapon light is. Is that noise a bad guy going through my stuff, or my teenage son stumbling in drunk for the first time? First off, it better not be! Second, if it is, I want to know BEFORE I engage. Get a light.

I also like a good two point sling. My SBR has a vertical foregrip, but it is the only gun so equipped. One day I'll have the best add-on... a suppressor.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    All my ARs get a free float rail, magpul stock with a qd point for slings and buis, red dot, and magpul moe+ grip. To me those are necessities. My HD AR gets a weapon light in addition to those other things I mentioned.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    1. What do you mean "venerable"? Is that a crack about my age . . . again.:D

haha

Dude, I think we're the same age, or within a couple years. :D

Second, I would add that for my own AR builds, I found that BUIS were a necessity for me. Not because I'm such a great shot with them, but because without them it just didn't feel like a complete build.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    It depends on how tactical you are. If your high end tactical you get the fax/copier/printer in 1. That's how you separate Operator's from non operator's, a true operator has it all built into 1 unit.

The thing about an MFP is does your brand provide good service. Are you calibrating with pantones? Is the mounting systems capable of quick detach and will it return to the original page register when reinstalled? How much is the toner?

It matters. Other than that you need a sight system you actually understand how to use, a grasp of the fundamentals, and an ability to avoid overwhelming gear d-baggery

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Just an opinion. I'm not an expert by a long shot but I've taken a few classes. Take a carbine class, take an Appleseed class, take a long range class.... there's so many little things you will learn about all the AR add-ons.

I really like the medium Vtor / BCM charging handle but it jabs you in the chest during a carbine class when you switch to pistol. Maybe I should switch all mine to Raptors.
    I really like my ACOG but 4x is too much magnification for a CQB carbine class. It's almost perfect for a 400+ yard Appleseed though.
    My EOTech is really quick getting on target for a CQB carbine class. Add a flip to side and it's good out to 400+ but it add a lot of weight.
    I really like a BAD lever for clearing malfunctions during a class but it can cause the bolt to not lock back sometimes.
    I really like my Magpul MS4 dual QD Gen2 sling but you can't make a loop sling for Appleseed shoots.
    The GI sling is great for Appleseed but sucks for a carbine class.
    VFG get hung up on everything during a carbine class. They get tangled up in slings when transitioning to weak side. I ditched mine.
    Rubber style grips feel good but tend to grab clothing when trying to transition to pistol too. Ditch them and get a Magpul hard plastic.
    Things with batteries go down. Scopes can get damaged or loose zero. I have MBUS or BUIS on everything.
    Handguards??? My free floated ARs shoot better but my other non-free-floated uppers don't do too bad either.
    I'm a stock junkie and have several types. The Magpul STR is my favorite so far.
    Geissele triggers are awesome but expensive. RRA NM 2 stage aren't bad for the price.

Top Bottom