• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am looking for some opinion on a new trigger for my AR. I have talked to a couple of people and they recommended some but I'm just trying to see what everyone else has and likes. I currently have a 4lb trigger and am wanting to go down to a 2 lb. 2 stage. Any help out there guys??

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I put a Timney in one of my AR15s and love it. Easy install, great trigger, good price. Some may be better but this is a very good balance of price, performance and ease of install.

2-6.jpg

3-6.jpg

4-3.jpg

6-2.jpg

5-3.jpg

7-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Triggers

I had 2 ARs with RRA 2 stage "national match" triggers and one with a standard trigger. I thought the NM triggers were pretty good until I got a Jewell. The standard trigger was beyond awful and the NMs were just bad by comparison to the Jewell. It's not a drop-in modular type but it's very good and easily adjustable. I'll get another soon.

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    mccormick and timney both drop in and are excellent, drob makes good point jewell is a great trigger but does not just drop in, ar gold also very nice dropin, have owned, installed or shot all of these, i wouldnt think you could go wrong with any of these

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a two stage in one of my Ar's.Its better than a factorytrigger, but I dont care for the two stage trigger(4/2).Like the crisp feel of the Jards and Jewels better. Never fired a Timney or mccormick. Had one 2lb trigger installed that fired 3 shot burst. I dont know if it was out of ajustment or milled wrong. I was at the range first time I fired it,scared me All the way home. They replaced it for me.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I just used a Gieselle Hi Speed DMR and a RRA NM 2-stage on my last two builds. Unfortunately I have not had enough trigger time with either to develop any opinions.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I really like Bill Springfield triggers. Quick turn around and a great trigger that will hold up to abuse. I've seen a Timney and a Jard stop functioning when exposed to the environments that a rifle will be exposed to from time to time. Might be fine for a bench rest gun but a real rifle no thanks.
    Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I am an advocate of single stage triggers, for the life of me I never understood why 2-stages triggers seem to be the norm.:dunno:

I have one of the first Timney 3lb single stage triggers, purchased within the first few days of its release and have quite a few rounds though ARs using this trigger group.

My conclusions on the Timney trigger, friggin' awesome when working correctly, the crispness of the trigger is suberb.

Now the bad, for some reason the earlier production triggers seemed to have a problem retaining there adjustment and would, at times, fail to reset.

The good news is Timney is an excellent company and stands behind their product. I am also of the belief that Timney has rectified any of the issues the earlier triggers had.

I also have JP trigger components in my game gun AR, these are not to be installed by some one that is not very familar with how the trigger group works in an AR. When installing and adjusting the trigger parts, you need to keep testing for function, this can be a tedious task.

Another one of my favorite aftermarket triggers is the CMMG two-stage, and although I am not a fan of two-stage triggers, the CMMG unit has a wide range of adjustment, so much so, that you can almost adjust out the two-stage nonsense altogether.

For now, and IMHO, the current offering from Timney offers the best bang for the buck.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    IMO, single stage for speed and two stage for accuracy.

If I was building a game gun, I'd agree with bigcraig and use a JP. For precision work, of the ones that I am familiar with, it would be a Jewell, Krieger/Millazzo, Geissele or CG Extreme.

Last edited:

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Ive been told I dont want a single stage trigger but I dont really know the difference what is the difference?? I will be hunting with it for yotes. I didnt mention that before.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Ive been told I dont want a single stage trigger...
    Why not?

I think what you don't want is a crappy trigger. Any trigger that breaks clean and crisp will be an asset to coyote hunting. Some people prefer the two stage, some prefer the single stage. But to be told you don't want a single stage doesn't make any sense to me. Now if the only thing they know is a single stage gritty military grade trigger and they are comparing it to a modest RRA two stage target trigger then I'd agree that the 2 stage RRA is better, but there are all sorts of better triggers than a mil-spec trigger.

Stoop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Yes the stock triggers on ARs are just awful. I am saving my pennies for a Jewell 2, but there are a few things ahead of that on the purchase list.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I love my Geissel and RRA two stage triggers. 2.5 lb first stage and 1 lb second stage for both.

I have a Jewell and you can tell the slowness of its locktime compared to the other triggers. I have a large pin Jewell I will sell, cheap....

I also have have a single stage JP that will not be used in a serious target or SD rifle because the release isn't the same every time I used it. I don't want a surprise break, I want it to go off precisely when I want it to.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    I am looking for some opinion on a new trigger for my AR. I have talked to a couple of people and they recommended some but I'm just trying to see what everyone else has and likes. I currently have a 4lb trigger and am wanting to go down to a 2 lb. 2 stage. Any help out there guys??

I have a Timney 3lb skelotonized single stage trigger in my AR. Breaks like glass at 2.75lb and very easy to install. No creep and very short reset.

Top Bottom