• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Locked&Loaded

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Morgan County Indiana
    I am new to the scope/ sight world. I have an AR-15 that I am wanting to get a sight for. I have heard of the Aimpoint Pro and EOTECH. I am a LEO and will be using this rifle for my on duty rifle so I need something that I can pick up a target quick with. Any help would be much appreciated.

:ar15:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Depends, some people love the Aimpoint cause you can leave it on for years. I like the EO Tech cause how the sight is, and mine runs off AA batteries. I know you are looking more for a duty one, and I carried the EO Tech model 552 overseas for a year, beat it, and abused it, never had any problems and its what i have on my home defense rifle. Good luck.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I debated the Aimpoint Pro v. Eotech 512 question for my own rifle. In the end, the 1 MOA dot of the 512 as well as the ability to use standard AA batteries caused me to pick the Eotech. Yes, the 512 is larger and clunkier but it does what it's supposed to do. Midway had a $30 coupon and fee shipping so I got it for a decent price too.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Either will serve you well. The Aimpoint PRO is tough to beat for the price. The X series of Eotech's have remedied many of the older models short comings. I'm a big fan of the EXPS Eotech.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I got one of those silver aimpoint 299 micros last year, spray painted it dark earth and I do enjoy it.

Wouldnt pay more than 3 bills for a red dot tho.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Don't feel like you need to spend a lot on an optic. I know some eotech and aimpoint fans will get their panties in a twist. Be honest though, are you going to use the rifle in combat, no. You can get some decent optics for under $200.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Don't feel like you need to spend a lot on an optic. I know some eotech and aimpoint fans will get their panties in a twist. Be honest though, are you going to use the rifle in combat, no. You can get some decent optics for under $200.

Hes not using it for combat, but as a patrol rifle, so always better to spend the money, since his life will depend on it. Especially if its a trunk gun, getting banged around, things put on top of it, etc.

Locked&Loaded

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Morgan County Indiana
    All of you make such great points and yes it is a trunk gun that I may have to use to save my life as well as others so I don't want just a joe shmo sight for the rifle, with my luck I would need it and the sight wouldn't work. Ugh, so many decisions and these damn things aren't cheap! lol. Thanks all for your input. BTW, does anyone know where one could check out an Aimpoint and EOTECH in person here in Indiana? Thanks again.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    All of you make such great points and yes it is a trunk gun that I may have to use to save my life as well as others so I don't want just a joe shmo sight for the rifle, with my luck I would need it and the sight wouldn't work. Ugh, so many decisions and these damn things aren't cheap! lol. Thanks all for your input. BTW, does anyone know where one could check out an Aimpoint and EOTECH in person here in Indiana? Thanks again.

If you are close to the NW Indiana area, I have both of them. Granted, might not be the specific ones that you are looking for, but more then welcome to give them a test run. I have an Aimpoint on an AR and an EO Tech on my SCAR. I usually go to the Winamac or Kingsbury ranges for rifle shooting. Be glad to help you out.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I have used both sights (as well as several others) in combat. Both have their pros and cons.

Aimpoint
    The Aimpoint pro, has a 38mm tube and a 2MOA red dot. The 2MOA dot is small enough to make a semi precision shot at distances that a LEO may have to make and the 38mm tube is big enough to quickly acquire targets through.

One issue I have with the aimpoints is the "thickness" of the tube. The tube dominates my sight picture unlike the Eotech. Battery life is awesome but sometimes over hyped on the internet. I had to change the batteries several times while deployed.

The Aimpoint is quite durable and can be counted on to work even after being banged around in the trunk of a squad car. The mounting system with the QRP mount is solid but relatively heavy compared to aftermarket offerings.

EOtech
    I use an EOtech 553 on my duty rifle (I am also a LEO and carry a 10.5 MK18 mod 1 as my duty rifle) and I love it. The EOtech is a great optic as well. The reticle, in my opinion, what makes the optic. is a 65MOA circle with a 1 MOA dot in the center. The 1MOA dot makes precision shots at medium ranges easy and effective. The 65MOA circle makes it easy to acquire targets during reflex style shooting.

The mounting system is 2 arms throw levers that lock down nice and tight. The EOtech is also very durable and can be counted on to work after riding in the trunk of the squad car. The battery life is not what the aimpoint is, but it is a far cry from older EOtechs and, in my opinion, plenty good for a duty rifle.

Hope this helps brother.

Edit: For your duty rifle, you should buy new. Price will be a big purchasing point. For this point, the Aimpoint PRO is a industry leader for what you get. If you are comfortable spending a little more, the EOtech 553 is a great option. Also the Aimpoint T1/H1 micro series. Great, lightweight optics.

Last edited:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I agree with Socomike's assessment on the EOTech reticle. For me, the circle makes close range target acquisition much faster than just a dot. Then, when you need precision, the center dot is only 1moa which makes a 100yd shot pretty easy on a soda can if your eyes are good enough to see it. Of course, your results may vary, and you should try all options available before you buy. :twocents:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

I'm a fan of Aimpoint (at least mine) and the Eotechs I've checked out but I'll agree. Take a look at the conditions it'll be used in and the abuse it will take. You may be able to get away with a Primary Arms or might get lucky finding a Bushnell Holosight (very similar to Eotech for a fraction of the price, but not quite as durable).

I don't have a duty rifle, a shtf rifle, or a high dollar AR platform. I built my rifle to be quality and I wanted to make sure that my optic was quality and rugged. Aimpoint PRO fits that bill very nicely and the price isn't bad. I've tossed mine around a bit and the mount that comes with it hasn't moved at all. No issues with the dot. No finish issues. Eotech would have worked fine though (I've got vision problems so the Aimpoint 2 MOA dot worked better for me).

Top Bottom