• ...and so much more!
  • windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yeah ima clean the hell out of the bolt carrier and see what it does

The chamber is the problem if the cases are sticking. If it is just not getting enough pop to fully cycle the bolt then it is a different problem although Tula is kind of weak and I have a rifle that does not like to lock back on the last round of Tula.

From my experience FN 5.56 barrels do fine on steel. Those are the only ARs I have tested with steel, but I have tried 6 or 7 of them.

Has anyone seen a difference in function between chrome lined or unlined chambers with steel cases sticking?

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Has anyone seen a difference in function between chrome lined or unlined chambers with steel cases sticking?

From my experience this is a big YES. I had a 20" govt profile non-lined Delton upper that would get very sticky with steel. I had a chrome lined middy from Delton that was 100%. I have since sold both and now have a 20" Bushmaster chrome lined govt profile and a CMMG 18" SPR chrome lined upper and both are 100% with steel. Others' experiences may be different, but mine do seem to reflect a correlation.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Does your Orical have the factory gas block on it or have you swapped parts?

When the gun would malfunction what exactly did it do?

Was the fired case still in the chamber?

Or had it been extracted but didn't clear the ejection port and the bolt closed on it, trapping it while cocked at an odd angle?
    If that were the case, did it also strip the next round from the magazine?

Do you have a chamber brush, and is the chamber clean?

Your Orical should have a generous gas port so unless the gas block isn't properly alined that shouldn't be the problem.

When you get a chance take the same brand of ammo and load one round only in your magazines, fire each shot and see if the bolt locks back.

You need to get this figured out. You saved some money by buying a DPMS but if you can't shoot steel ammo the added cost of having to shoot brass exclusively (if you shoot very much) is going to eat up/offset your savings to the point that you could've spent more for a gun and just kept on truckin with steel.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    I have a Yankee hill gas block and gas tube, and it was just acting like the extractor wasn't grasping the shell in the camber hard enough to extract it. I don't have a camber brush and I usually clean it after every 300 rounds just cause

jtmason15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Grant County
    On my bushmaster AR i shot steel through it several times and it was pretty much hit and miss. If you are planning on shooting steel most of the time I would suggest replacing the extractor with a heavier one like AD Marc said. Plus with all of the lacquer and polymer coatings that they put on the shells, they leave residue in the chamber. Especially after rapid fire and long shoots. They flake off and cling to the chamber. You then have to use a wire scrub brush to get it out. It sucks. It all just depends on the gun if it likes it or not. I would just beware of it.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I have a Yankee hill gas block and gas tube, and it was just acting like the extractor wasn't grasping the shell in the camber hard enough to extract it. I don't have a camber brush and I usually clean it after every 300 rounds just cause

You're saying it didn't extract, the fired case was still in the chamber?
    With the extractor upgrade and a clean chamber you will probably be in business provided the gas block is alined properly.
    Buy some chamber brushes and make that part of your cleaning routine. It is important, especially when using steel case ammo due to the soot/carbon buildup in the chamber.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    My AR will do the exact same thing with steel cased ammo, 5-10 rounds into the mag and it'll jam, I clean it, i can do 5-10 rounds again. I took mine to a gunsmith who concluded that it is because I'm running a real tight match chamber and the coating on the steel is building up and causing my jams. I stopped running steel cased ammo in everything but my AK and Mosin platforms. Steel cased in general just didn't measure up in my guns in terms of reliability and consistency.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Plus with all of the lacquer and polymer coatings that they put on the shells, they leave residue in the chamber.

I took mine to a gunsmith who concluded that it is because I'm running a real tight match chamber and the coating on the steel is building up and causing my jams.

Lacquer and polymer DO NOT build up in the chamber

:rolleyes:

CARBON builds up because the steel doesn't expand as well as the brass case does, this allows the carbon to build up in the chamber. It is not melted lacquer or the polymer coating. Stop repeating BS.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Lacquer and polymer DO NOT build up in the chamber

:rolleyes:

CARBON builds up because the steel doesn't expand as well as the brass case does, this allows the carbon to build up in the chamber. It is not melted lacquer or the polymer coating. Stop repeating BS.

Agreed. This needs to be repeated again and again, because this nonsense keeps popping up.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    :):

but my friend knows a guy who said his buddy knows a guy that works in a gun store said...............

But I thought it was from your uncles best friend who's cousin had a grandfather who knew this guy from Texas who had a son-in-law that had a niece who had a father that owned a gunshop that had a dog that sat in the shop and listened to all the stories who told you that. Now anything that dog says should be gosphel...right?

And for those who would like additional proof...

ComBloc Ammo FAQ

Last edited:

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yes it was still in the camber

Pull the bolt out and see if you can move the extractor with your finger. If you can budge it out it needs a new spring and will do exactly what you are saying is happening. Let the chamber get dirty enough, and it will probably do it with brass too.

Top Bottom