AR-15 illuminated front sight post VS regular front sight post.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm getting closer to starting my first build. When I do, another little part I've been considering is an illuminated trijicon, XS, or tru-glow front sight post. I have every intention of using the irons sights on this rifle with nothing else on it. Having said that, I want a very functional front sight post and I intend to stretch the gun out shooting as far as my abilities will let me.

What do you all think of illuminated front sight posts. I've never even had night sights on a handgun, but that’s mostly because I’m cheap as I can be. I’ve never had them on an AR either, but with building my own it’s something I’m considering trying out. The problem I see is that most of the reviews on midway for any of them really aren’t that flattering.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think you'd be better off getting "normal" sights for your AR. And spending the extra money to put night sights on your EDC pistol instead.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    All my guns that I use and carry have night sights on them, and the vast majority are XS sights. I like Big Dots for handguns, small dot for AR's, and the stripe for AK's. There is a greater chance that something bad will happen at night and that is when you will need to use your firearms. Sights you can't see in the dark will not allow you to engage the threat effectively. Also, the white outline on the regular dot AR front sight is very fast to use.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Do you also have the iluminated rear sight too then?

The XS system uses a larger rear aperture that is not illuminated. I know you were trained from Uncle Suger to put your nose to the charging handle to get the same cheek weld, if you do this then there is no need for a rear illuminated aperture. I have used Trijicon sights in the past that had two small dots on the rear aperature, since your eye is so close to them they are hard to pick up and pretty much useless. The key is the front sight, if you add rear illuminated sights it get's confusing and reaction time drops.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    LOL, yeah I still keep my nose on the charging handle. I was wondering about that rear sight because I wasn't convinced that it would be of any help. I appreciate your advice on this. I think I'll be buying one of those XS front sight posts. Do you guys stock these?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hey, no problem. I actually got in contact with Jared and asked him if you guys had one in stock. I saw XS also had a verticle bar style of illuminated front sight post and I told Jared that whenever he gets one in just let me know what I owe him. I liked the idea of their new flat top front sight post for regular range work. Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!

I just got done with my first build last night and it feels incomplete without that illuminated front sight post now.

Top Bottom