• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunnerkc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I'm new to the world of ar-15s and have a few questions about different for end combination and sights.
    First of all the gun is a DPMS AR-15 flat top.
    I would like to have a continuous rail from my flat top throughout the for end which I thought was possible, but was recently told otherwise. I know Daniel defense makes quality products, but I would like to hear some personal opinions about Daniel defense and other brands.
    I am also looking for good flip up sights and would really appreciate any help. Thank you,
    Casey:patriot:

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    hog wash! yes you can have a railed handguard that is the same height as your flat top upper Daniel Defense AR-15 DDM4 A3 Flattop Upper Assembly 5.56x45mm NATO 1 in 7" Twist 16" Barrel Chrome Lined Chrome Moly Matte with Omega X 12.0 FSP Extended 4-Rail Free Float Handguard, Pre-Ban - MidwayUSA

Daniel defense has a great reputation for quality but you will pay alot for it. Look at troy or bcm or yankee hill maching for the the railed foregrip. For flip up sights i would recommend magul buis or troy. but you will get good results from any of the top brands around.If you really want to know alot more about the ar try hear M4Carbine.net Forums - Powered by vBulletin they are a great group and there is alot of very good info on here.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This process is aking to selecting a holster: first, get a cardboard box.:D

I like Troy. Big ghost ring and positive adjustment when zeroing. However, the subjective is objective.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I have YHM Diamond Free Float Spectre Rails. They are continuous, but not all rails are. You have to look at the description to see. Also look to see if they need any gunsmithing because if you dont know what your doing, it could be a pain, if you do then its pretty easy.

A lot of people on here like the DD Rails, but they are a bit more $$$. Look at DSG Arms or VTSupply.com for some ideas on rails.

On the BUIS, I have the YHM QDS combo. They work great. $145 for both at VTSupply

IMG_0107.jpg

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    vltor makes a true continuous rail its around $350 i believe. you can see a picture of it, if you click on my username. its on the AR-15 pic on my user details page. I like it because it has detachable and modifyable rail points, so you can drop some weight if your not using the rails.

i use military issue rear sights ONLY, because i know they are tough.

sonrider657

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    I have a Magpul MBUS rear sight on this gun only because I wanted to make it as light as possible. If I was not looking for light weight, I would go with something else. I am not overly impressed with the performance of the MBUS, especially the fact that the only thing that holds it up is spring force.

magpul.jpg

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a set of Troy Battle flip up sights (Front and rear) sitting around. PM me if you're interested. They have Smith&Wesson M&P stamp on tho.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I don't have any personal experience with the YHM flip-ups, but looking at the picture I think yours are both backwards.

Uh...No...They are correct. I may be a dumb ol grunt but..yeah

Here they are non-deployed. The mil type (on left) spring forward and the YHM (on right) springs rearward.

IMG_0107.jpg

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Uh...No...They are correct. I may be a dumb ol grunt but..yeah

But isn't the YHM logo facing you? That's not the same form-factor as other BUIS setups I've seen.

Like Troy:
    CoverTitan-600_50.jpg

Midwest Industries:
    3965389266_a8f5399415.jpg

Are these the same as yours?
    FORUM1.jpg

I'm not trying to bust your balls-- I've just never seen flip ups in that orientation and it caught my eye.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    But isn't the YHM logo facing you? That's not the same form-factor as other BUIS setups I've seen.

I'm not trying to bust your balls-- I've just never seen flip ups in that orientation and it caught my eye.

Wow you are correct. Told ya i'm a dumb grunt.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Wow you are correct. Told ya i'm a dumb grunt.

Like I said, I certainly meant no disrespect. I wasn't even sure myself, but I wanted to make sure your gear was set up for its best possible use.

I'm still waiting on shooter521 to weigh in with a formal 'yay' or 'nay'. :D

Learning something new is what INGO is all about! :ingo:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'm still waiting on shooter521 to weigh in with a formal 'yay' or 'nay'. :D

Yep, backwards. Both the front and rear sights should flip toward the muzzle.

That said, evidently not even YHM knows this; check out this pic from their website:
    YHM-8820_bg.jpg

The front sight is set up correctly, but the rear sight is backwards... :n00b:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Yep, backwards. Both the front and rear sights should flip toward the muzzle.

Yeah i found that out. I just didnt think you would want the logo facing the target, plus worked fine doing drills. Oh well offense taken, thanks for pointing it out though. Changing now and i'll see how i like that.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Check with CWood at Indiana Supply Depot. I picked a set of Troy sights up off him earlier this year for less than I paid for cheaper sights earlier. The Troy sights are great and the Indiana Supply Depot is a great place to get them. They run a quality shop.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Yeah i found that out. I just didnt think you would want the logo facing the target, plus worked fine doing drills.

I'm sure it would work OK; it's not like you've got a scope mounted backwards or something. ;)

As to the logo, I'm pretty sure YHM wants it facing out, so everybody - even the badguys - can tell what kind of BUIS you have. :D Me, I'd blacken or spraypaint over the friggin' thing, just to spite 'em.

Top Bottom