• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have a s&w mp 15 and I'm thinking about swapping the upper receiver out with one I got off del ton. It's like another hundred to buy tools though and there is pretty much no one around to do it. Also I'm pretty short on cash but my buddy is saying I should just get a whole new upper assembly because the barrel will be better. I just wanted to get opinions and advice. Thanks

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Accuracy? If you can hit a 12"x12" box at 100yards with it, your good to go. If you can't, then you got issues.
    That said, why do you really want to change it around. Sorta a lateral move if you ask me.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Really? My buddy told me that I need forward assist and dust cover cuz it'll jam easy. That's the only reason I bought another upper receiver. And yes I do have an m&p 15. I love the gun but I'm worried for a defense gun that it'll jam that's why I thought I need the forward assist. Is it good to go though with the stock receiver?

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    If your intention is to "buy tools" to build your "stripped upper" from Del-Ton, please do a lot of research on head-space issues. I have asked a lot of questions and have rarely received the same answer. IMHO, let the pros make the uppers, and buy a complete upper which has been professionally head-spaced. Otherwise, build it with your tools and let your "buddy" fire the first shot. Bet you he'll back off and say..., WTF?

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks I will check it out. Do I need to actually get a we upper though? The mp 15 I have is the sporting rifle so it doesn't have the forward assist. So I'm assuming for a shtf/defense gun I do. But I will be happy to be wrong so I don't have to spend 400 haha.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    go to the ar build party, if nothing else to learn all about ar's.

i changed out all my ar's to non bolt assist and dust covers to heavy wall dpms uppers. have had absolutely NO issues like your buddy is describing to you. now if you are taking it to the sand pit thats a whole different ballgame, but i doubt you are. google some reviews on your rifle and you will find that your concerns are not needed ....daryll

Top Bottom