• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmgreen13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Parts Unknown
    I want to add an AR-15 to my collection, but I think I am going to buy the parts separate and piece it together to save a little money and to have it how I want it and not have to upgrade later. I am still in the early stages of doing my research and wanted to get some opinions on what some good brands are, and good places to buy from. It will be in 5.56, with rails for optics, foregrip, and tactical light. I would like to keep this project under $1000. Thanks.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    buy the parts separate and piece it together to save a little money

This will not happen, though you may be able to spread the purchase(s) out over time rather than laying out one lump sum.

to have it how I want it and not have to upgrade later.

Valid reasoning. :yesway:

I am still in the early stages of doing my research and wanted to get some opinions on what some good brands are, and good places to buy from.

LOTS of prior threads on this; you may want to do a search. Also bear in mind that everyone has their own preferences or favorites, for reasons that may or may not apply to your mission/tastes/budget.

Here's a little light reading from a couple other sites, which have been previously referenced in threads here, to get you started:

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?81462-So-you-want-to-buy-an-AR-15-huh

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=493

I would like to keep this project under $1000.

$1000 for everything (gun, rails, optic, VFG, light)? That would be quite a challenge, assuming you want to maintain some level of quality.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    midway had dpms uppers for sale at 375.00 ish (+ shipping and ffl fees) = 415 tops. then buy a complete plum crazy or whichever flavor you want lower receiver for 100-250 bucks (plum crazy being cheaper side). so far you have 520-550 in a flat topped AR thats not too bad on quality. the sights are personal flavor. eotechs at 500 bucks, decent quality holographics are easily found for 200 bucks though.

bmgreen13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Parts Unknown
    Sorry, I guess I didn't word that the best. I would like to keep the gun under $1000. Optics and light aren't included in this. And if I have to go a little over for quality so be it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    So, you want a flat top 5.56 and to be able to mount a light and fore grip?

Any of the following with a Magpul Moe handguard or a quad rail would be fine.
    PSA
    Stag
    Spikes
    S&W M&P

Or you could spend a little more and get a Colt 6940.

bgray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I just bought my first AR about a month ago. Did a lot of research prior to doing so. I agree with the previous comments. If you take your time, you can find what you're looking for close to your price range. I'd go to a gun show like the 1500. You will be able to see first hand the different products and their quality levels.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    midway had dpms uppers for sale at 375.00 ish (+ shipping and ffl fees) = 415 tops. then buy a complete plum crazy or whichever flavor you want lower receiver for 100-250 bucks (plum crazy being cheaper side). so far you have 520-550 in a flat topped AR thats not too bad on quality. the sights are personal flavor. eotechs at 500 bucks, decent quality holographics are easily found for 200 bucks though.

Except you dont pay FFL fees for a "gun part" (the upper). Only the lower needs to go to a FFL. all the rest is parts and can be shipped where ever.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Except you dont pay FFL fees for a "gun part" (the upper). Only the lower needs to go to a FFL. all the rest is parts and can be shipped where ever.

11% excise tax on a complete long gun, or as has been interpreted by a lot of dealers (assumedly at ATF's suggestion), all the pieces to assemble one.

OP, you have the whole interwebs to guide you. On them innerdwebs, are a lot of opinionated peope, AKA "fanbois", who are blinded by brand loyalty, usually attributable to a homoerotic man-crush on a particular spokesperson, or blind allegiance to what "Tier 1 Operators" use. Truth be told, there are rifles on the market (maybe not for $1000), that are of better quality than what is issued to GI's.

What are you going to do with this rifle?

$1000 for the rifle only, opens your options, to beyond "entry level". There are a couple of makers you're going to hear a lot, but only because many folks have drunk the kool-aid.

You will get a lot of recommendations for PSA. They're not bad, just unproven, and the business is in the midst of major growing pains, which result in a lot of imperfectly shipped orders. IMHO, PSA is good about making things right, but it's trying on your patience. There's an unprovable likelihood that PSA's barrels are made by the same supplier, of the same material, on the same equipment, by the same people, as those of another rifle company whose rifles command 3-4x the price of PSA's.

Colt, which some shooters (a lot of fanbois) believe sets the standard, has a couple of offerings within your budget. Colt was, at one time, the rifle everyone else emulated, but that role has diminished, as multiple quality manufacturers have sprung up, also offering a much broader variety.

Beyond these, there are oodles of quality manufacturers. There are also oodles of configurations, and I urge you to learn more about what you might want. For example, a rail adds weight and expense to your rifle, and the benefit is negated by (reasonably priced) modular picatinny panels on Magpul MOE furniture.

The most important thing is to get all matching furniture and PMags. I believe the current popular color is FDE. I believe it gives you more damage points, and pretty good accuracy.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    The most important thing is to get all matching furniture and PMags. I believe the current popular color is FDE. I believe it gives you more damage points, and pretty good accuracy.
    :):

You can definitely build a quality/accurate rifle for $1000. I am a fan of YHM products, Magpul, Rock River, Spikes, etc, all of which I found to be a great value and have had good customer service. Just like with everything, there are name brands that cost more just because of the name recognition. It all depends on what you are looking for. Check out some of the picture threads here and on AR15.com to get an idea of what you want. Once you figure out the components you want, search the Web for the best prices. The 1500 is also a good place to check out components/rifles in person. Usually some pretty decent AR suppliers are there as well. I know Model 1 Sales, J&T Distributing, and PK Firearms have all treated me well at the 1500 in the past. Good luck!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Honestly, if you want to see a lot of different options and how they look to get an idea of what you might want, just look through the AR15 Picture thread on here.

It'll be the best way to see a lot of different configurations and furniture and how it looks on an actual gun.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Smith and Wesson M&P is a great rifle. I would then upgrade to Magpul grip, stock, verical grip, etc. A good quality quad rail is a must. I prefer Yankee Hill Manufacturing. You should be able to do this for around $1K or so. From there, you can choose to add a light, laser as well as the optic. Depending upon what you're looking for and willing to spend you can get a red dot sight for less than a hundred or spend several hundred on an Eotech or similar. Also, think about adding a good sling. Tactical rifles are so much fun to build. Take your time and enjoy. As for the 1500, that may be a good place to find the parts but a complete rifle for what you're looking to spend may be a stretch. I was there today and many of the tac rifles seemed a little high. Good luck!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Once you figure out what you want, make sure to check out the site advertisers and the "good, bad, and ugly" forum before making a purchase.
    I have dealt with Orion Arms and Front Toward Enemy firearms (both advertisers) and would gladly recommend either.

Top Bottom