• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm interested in a .45acp carbine on an AR platform.
    Does anyone have one?
    What brand(s) are worth the scratch, or ones to stay away from?
    Not looking for pistol length.
    I want something 16"+.
    Another question is about mag well adapters.
    Do any of them work well, or should I consider a dedicated lower?
    So many questions...

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have one in an SBR configuration with a 5" barrel. Mine is built out of a Quarter Circle 10 upper, 45/10mm lower & 45 barrel with an Aero Precision handguard. QC10 is quality stuff. I have never been a fan of magwell adapters. I think dedicated lower is the way to go.

I have also had good luck with the Spartan lowers from Joe Bob Outfitters. I have two in 9mm and they work great. No experience with their 45 version.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm interested in a .45acp carbine on an AR platform.
    Does anyone have one?
    What brand(s) are worth the scratch, or ones to stay away from?
    Not looking for pistol length.
    I want something 16"+.
    Another question is about mag well adapters.
    Do any of them work well, or should I consider a dedicated lower?
    So many questions...

Due to the cartridge, its a -very- dedicated lower.

I think these people are in Indiana somewhere.

May not be active anymore.. site hasn't changed in ages.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Due to the cartridge, its a -very- dedicated lower.

I think these people are in Indiana somewhere.

May not be active anymore.. site hasn't changed in ages.
    I've found at least one company that makes a mag well adapter for these.
    Do you know if they work, or are they not worth messing with?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've found at least one company that makes a mag well adapter for these.
    Do you know if they work, or are they not worth messing with?
    Well I think the issue is with the width of the Ar15 magwell. Grease gun mags and glock mags are too fat. I think there was an old type of system with a clunky (chonky) dedicated mag that only holds 18.

Yeah I found it..

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    CMMG makes a radially delayed blowback upper in .45. I have one in 9mm and love it, so much so that I considered getting one in .45 as well. Looking into it, though, you either need a dedicated lower or a really expensive mag block for the .45. I decided to just be content with my 9mm that works perfectly with a mil-spec lower and Pmag conversions.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    CMMG makes a radially delayed blowback upper in .45. I have one in 9mm and love it, so much so that I considered getting one in .45 as well. Looking into it, though, you either need a dedicated lower or a really expensive mag block for the .45. I decided to just be content with my 9mm that works perfectly with a mil-spec lower and Pmag conversions.
    Yeah, I may go a different direction.
    I was considering turning my new Ingo lower into a .45 carbine, but it looks too expensive and too much trouble.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    If you don't already have a 9mm, I can't recommend that one enough. The pmag conversions will work with your standard lower, and it's an absolute blast to shoot. Cheaper to feed than .45, too.

I also just put together a dedicated .22LR upper, which has been remarkably reliable. My son and I have almost 1000 rounds through it without a single malfunction, which is crazy for a rimfire. I tried 4 or 5 different types of ammo and the only thing it wouldn't run was CCI Quiet, which was kind of an unfair test to even try. I built it as an M4 clone and pieced it together from parts. It was actually my first time drilling an FSB for pins, and I was thrilled with how that went. The windage is dead on...which is more than I can say for several commercial uppers I've bought. I can't wait for my suppressor to get out of jail so I can try it on this gun.

PCC ARs are awesome for shooting steel inside of 100 yards...low recoil, fast transitions, and they won't tear up your plates.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've built a .45 pcc when things were cheapish, but I've yet to shoot the thing to see if it actually works! Sad.

If recall, the most expensive parts were the mag adapter (stern def) to use m&p 10 round mags, and the whopping 10.5 oz buffer. They were on sale but still, the adapter cost more than lower, yet combined they were less costly than a dedicated lower for .45acp.

The barrel was cheap($39), the bolt was cheap ($69), the upper is midway/stoner cheap(can't remember, but was on clearance). Most of the other standard ar parts were already in my tackle box.

I have no idea if it will cycle with the counter weighted bolt carrier and super heavy buffer, but from what I've read, it made me look for those items for a blowback PCC.

I did the snap caps through it and all seems smooth - but that means little if it doesn't run well.

Maybe I'll take it out soon. It's embarrassing to admit that I have not shot it and I really want to know if it does what it is supposed to do.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you don't already have a 9mm, I can't recommend that one enough. The pmag conversions will work with your standard lower, and it's an absolute blast to shoot. Cheaper to feed than .45, too.

I also just put together a dedicated .22LR upper, which has been remarkably reliable. My son and I have almost 1000 rounds through it without a single malfunction, which is crazy for a rimfire. I tried 4 or 5 different types of ammo and the only thing it wouldn't run was CCI Quiet, which was kind of an unfair test to even try. I built it as an M4 clone and pieced it together from parts. It was actually my first time drilling an FSB for pins, and I was thrilled with how that went. The windage is dead on...which is more than I can say for several commercial uppers I've bought. I can't wait for my suppressor to get out of jail so I can try it on this gun.

PCC ARs are awesome for shooting steel inside of 100 yards...low recoil, fast transitions, and they won't tear up your plates.
    I have a nice PSA 9mm carbine, and yes, it is just plain fun, no two ways about it.
    I bought the dedicated lower designed for Colt mags and couldn't be happier.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I have a Wolfpack Armory ar45 that did not run perfect till I pulled the barrel a couple of times and polished the feed ramp a bunch, but now it runs. It has the Glock mag lower

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I will say that if you are in the suppressor game already, then a .45 carbine or SBR (or pistol) is great because .45 is subsonic. Makes for really quiet shooting. Some of my favorite PCCs are .45s.

Top Bottom