• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Does anyone have experience with this stuff? I want to shoot it out of a rifle. Is it accurate? Is it really quieter than a pellet gun?

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I have shot some through a Marlin M60 before. I don't know that I would do it again. They are very quiet and pretty worthless. It has been awhile but I remember a pellet gun having more knockdown power.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I stick with CCI cb's if I want to go poof. I have heard of the Colibri sticking in some barrels and causing a mess or worse.

I've shot Colibri's and Super Colibri's out of so many different .22's i can't keep count. Never had one lodge. The old boxes did not contain this warning. Shot them out of barrels all the way up to 27" long - new and old rifles.

Its not something I would worry about. I'm reasonably certain that the warning is due to the fear of litigation and nothing more.

CB's do have more energy, but colibri's are SILENT. The only noise you'll usually hear is the firing pin hitting the primer and the bullet impacting on your chosen target.

I have shot some through a Marlin M60 before. I don't know that I would do it again. They are very quiet and pretty worthless. It has been awhile but I remember a pellet gun having more knockdown power.

I've shot countless squirrels with one shot at ranges of 50-75 feet.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Yes the Colibris out of a rifle are silent. I don't have any rifles with long barrels but 18-20" barrels are fine, never had one stick.

The Super Colibris sound like a pellet rifle.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The Super Colibris are not silent by any means. At least as loud as a pellet rifle. No trouble with bullets getting stuck. This was out of a Marlin lever-action (sorry, can't remember the model).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you've got an exceptionally long-barreled rifle, check to be sure that they make it out of the bore before touching off subsequent shots.

And if they're the 60grainers (sorry, I can't keep the products straight in my head?), most rifles won't stabilize them due to twist rate. And I know at least my suppressor manufacturer (Tactical Innovations) doesn't recommend them be shot through the can due to stability issues and the higher incidence of of baffle strikes.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The super colibris are not worthless. I have killed a raccoon with a single shot with one from a S&W 317 with 3" barrel, he died instantly. The report was very low, less than hitting a claw hammer with light force on wood. I have never tested the accuracy, but it was more than needed to kill old soda cans.

Terry

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    I have used super colibris in a Mossberg 144 LSB (27 in bbl) and a browning bl-22 levergun and never had problems. very good on birds within their range limitations. Still got a brick or so downstairs for my son's chipmunk rifle.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have used the Supers and had no problems. I do believe they are reccomended for handguns. But I have shot many out of rifles.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    They definitely warn against rifles; experience may indicate otherwise, but I'd reckon there's a reason. They have no powder, just the primer. I haven't fired any yet, but plan to, just out the MkX pistols, though.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Just bought some CCI CB Longs.

Wow! Why have you people been keeping this stuff a secret!

A suppressor was on my list for the sole purpose of being able to shoot in my back yard. That expense is crossed off the list!

So far these are more accurate than 22 full power rounds. I first tried a potato at about 10 yards. Put 5 rounds through one 22 caliber hole. Started shooting the cattails that are 17 yards from my back door. Shooting the heads was no problem, so I started shooting the stems. Two out of three shots I'm hitting the stems at 17 yards.

THESE ARE AWESOME!!!

I was also thinking about a PCP airgun. That's out.

I tested the sound against my Benjamin pump airgun. It's louder than three pumps but not as loud as eight. It's appears to be about as loud as five pumps, though the sound is sharper.

Sliced bread, chipped ice, and cooking with gas move aside.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Just bought some CCI CB Longs.

Wow! Why have you people been keeping this stuff a secret!

A suppressor was on my list for the sole purpose of being able to shoot in my back yard. That expense is crossed off the list!

So far these are more accurate than 22 full power rounds. I first tried a potato at about 10 yards. Put 5 rounds through one 22 caliber hole. Started shooting the cattails that are 17 yards from my back door. Shooting the heads was no problem, so I started shooting the stems. Two out of three shots I'm hitting the stems at 17 yards.

THESE ARE AWESOME!!!

I was also thinking about a PCP airgun. That's out.

I tested the sound against my Benjamin pump airgun. It's louder than three pumps but not as loud as eight. It's appears to be about as loud as five pumps, though the sound is sharper.

Sliced bread, chipped ice, and cooking with gas move aside.

i live way out in the sticks and i can shoot any thing out the back door and i have used Long's for year to keep the chippy's under control and the bluejays out of the feeders....my Winchester 62A pump seats at the back door loaded with Long's.....when i buy i buy 1k at a time.....just search the net for the best deal at the time......@ a little over 700fps there quite and enough power to get the job done....

4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    I have used a lot of the super colbri's out of my old savage sporter. Make sure your barrel is somewhat clean or you could have a stuck bullet or two, it HAS happened to me a few times. If your not aiming at some kind of backstop so you can hear your rounds hit you can't even tell if they left the barrel. I had three stuck (WHAT!!!) in my barrel, luckily with no powder there's really no risk of over pressure.....I think. The bullets came right out with a wooden dowel that I had with me though.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I've shot more boxes of the Colbri's than I can count out of both .22 revolvers and my Marlin 39 with no issues. They are weak, but not weak enough that when I inspect the bullet after it hit my bullet trap to see that they're smashed flat, and I do mean flat.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've shot quite a few Super Colibris out of a Ruger 10/22 without having any of them stick in a barrel. They aren't super accurate, although I'm sure that accuracy will vary from gun to gun. They seem to be minute of cottontail at about 25' for me and are quieter than my pellet rifle.

Top Bottom