• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Apartment residents told to take down U.S. flags | KATU.com - News, Weather and Sports - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional

ALBANY, Ore. - At the Oaks Apartments in Albany, the management can fly their own flag advertising one and two bedroom apartments - but residents have been told they can't fly any flags at all.

Jim Clausen flies the American flag from the back of his motorcycle. He has a son in the military heading back to Iraq, and the flag - he said - is his way of showing support.

"This flag stands for all those people," said Clausen, an Oaks Apartment resident. "It stands for the people that can no longer stand - who died in wars. That's why I fly this flag."

But to Oaks Apartment management, Clausen said, the American flag symbolizes problems.

He was told to remove the red, white and blue from both of his rides, or face eviction.

"It floored me," he said. "I can't believe she was saying what she was saying."

Even long-time residents like Sharron White, who has flown a flag on her car for eight years, has been told to take it down.

White said management told her that "someone might get offended."

"I just said to her 'They'll just have to get over it,'" White said.

Resident we talked to who had been approached to take down their flags all told us the same thing: that management told them the flags could be offensive because they live in a diverse community.

Attempts to find out for ourselves why management would ban flags were unsuccessful. KATU wanted to talk to management at Oaks Apartments, but no one has returned our calls. The woman we were told had made the decision said she was "not going to answer any questions."

The mother of one soldier fighting in Iraq put up a poster in her son's apartment window when she learned of the ban. Her son's roommate said he'll risk eviction to make sure it stays.

Another Oaks Apartment resident, Judith Sherer, doesn't have a car. Instead she carries an American flag around the complex to protest the ban, and wonders if the flag pin she wears is next to be "singled out."

"If I put it on and I walk outside, what's going to happen?" Sherer muses. "Am I going to be confronted by a manager about this?"

We're told the ban includes sports flags and even flag stickers on cars.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Screw that. This is America, get used to it. It irritates me when people get all in a bunch about the American flag being flown. It's a symbol of what we stand for and those who died to give us our freedom.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    How stupid.....if people get offended by this country's flag, then they should leave.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Wonder if these good citizens can handle this the American way?

With a lawsuit against the landlords.

And I betcha thought I was going to imply they use their 2A rights, didn't ya. ;)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Like it or not, it's private property and the owners get to set the rules. Doesn't matter how we might feel about it. The best thing the people can do is vote with their wallets.

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I thought flying the colors was protected by the first AMEN? :dunno:

I know that they can regulate how large it is, but flag stickers on cars??? I don't think so! :fawk:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    How many apartments are in this complex?

Wonder how hard it would be to get together enough American flags for EVERY LAST CAR IN THAT COMPLEX, and send them to them!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I seriously doubt they could actually DO it, at least not without some fairly serious legal repercussions. If it was me, I'd let 'em evict me....and I'd be on the phone with a lawyer within 15 minutes.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Like it or not, it's private property and the owners get to set the rules. Doesn't matter how we might feel about it. The best thing the people can do is vote with their wallets.

Bingo. Plenty of desperate apartment complexes looking for decent renters.

Instead people get stuck on stupid wanting to support anti-American businesses. :dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Not if it's not in the lease, they can't. Within the terms of the lease, that apartment is the tenant's property.

And so are their cars and motorcycles.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Eat caca and faint?

No, it's eat caca and die!

I would tell them to kiss the fattest part of my
    donky.jpg

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm going to pretend to be Jack Ryan here and say the SOB deserves eviction for purposefully throwing his American beliefs and blatant patriotism in the face of the management when he knows full well it's not welcome. :):

Top Bottom