• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I'm looking at getting one. Most of my deer does not last 6 months, but I have other meat that may stay longer. Just wondering who has what and any problems with any.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We use a Kenmore/Sears vacuum sealer and are reasonably pleased. I use Foodsaver bags and they aren't too costly if you buy them at Sam's or Walmart. Having access to the rolls of bags is nice, you can cut to size on almost anything. I've never had a complaint with them. They seal nicely and the contents stay fresh for ages. You can also use them to marinate meats, too. Add the meat and a marinade, seal and toss in the fridge for a day or two. Yum! It's a good investment and makes buying in bulk easier. You can save a few bucks over the years.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I use one for meats, storing dried hot peppers, leftovers, etc. For instance, I might put leftover barbecue in a bag, seal it, put it in the freezer. Later, I'll pull it ot and throw it in a pot of boiling water. After it heats up you have hot barbecue and you don't have any utensils to wash up.

I also make hamburger patties and cook a bunch of them. Whatever is left, we seal, two to a bag, and freeze them. My wife and I just had two tonight for supper.

I took a bunch of bluegills and pureed them in the food processor. I then sealed and froze them. When I get ready to cook them, I mix some onion and green pepper in with them. I then shape them into patties and fry them in a little oil. They hold together well and make a nice-sized piece of fish. I've never done this, but you could probably add a little filler such and bread crumbs or cracker crumbs to make the fish to a little further. You might also be able to make a nice beer batter to dip them in and then deep dry them. You'll think you're at Long John Silver's

My only issue with my sealer is that sometimes that seals fail. Even when that happens it doesn't seem to have an adverse effect on the quality of the frozen food.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I like them for low volume pursuits, but they can't hang with a VacMaster when you have a pile to put up.

In either case I source my bags from Pleasant Hill Grain, usually. Foodsaver bags here, chamber type here. Priced right and boilable.

Last edited:

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Big investment, the investment that pays off if you do it long enough. We have been using ziploc freezer bags for venison for years. Our meet lasts year or better. Put the meat in, roll the air out, then put in a paper lunch sack and tape shut.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have one. Great investment. In Spetember, I pulled out steelhead from a few years ago. It was fine. I buy the bags by the roll. Whenever anyone has salmon, steaks or chops on sale for a hellacious deal, they end up vac packed in my freezer along with game and fish I've taken.

Corbinator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    I have used one for years. You can flash fry morrell mushrooms and freeze on a cookie sheet then vac seal them after they are frozen and enjoy a year later .

Kraor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Knox County
    I have one and put up my deer in them. Worked great, except i marinaded some of the meat and vacuuming the "wet" meat was a bit of a messy challenge.

Corbinator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Let me add a bit to the mushroom comment. Do not fry them completely just long enough to set the flour on them. Then freeze them on a cookie sheet after they are frozen throw them in the food saver bag and seal away. At any time pull out as many as you want to eat and drop them in your grease. Reseal any shrooms you don't use. Do not thaw them out beforehand.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Love ours, and use the heck out of it.

We break up all kinds of stuff into single meal or single serving sizes, seal 'em up, and freeze. My wife started pre-cooking meats and freezing as well. Makes meal time quick and easy.

Lots of tricks to vacuum packing stuff. We pre-freeze berries in a big bowl (just enough to firm them up) before sealing them. Keeps them from smushing (technical term). That, or use the vacuum-sealed containers.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Have one use it occasionally, worth the money. The Foodsaver(R) brand bags are much better, but not worth it for everything that I seal. Can get them at WalMart.

RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    im gonna make some patties now never thought of it. you ever added beer to the bag and sealed it before cooking? to give the fish time to soak it in kind of like ribs?

I use one for meats, storing dried hot peppers, leftovers, etc. For instance, I might put leftover barbecue in a bag, seal it, put it in the freezer. Later, I'll pull it ot and throw it in a pot of boiling water. After it heats up you have hot barbecue and you don't have any utensils to wash up.

I also make hamburger patties and cook a bunch of them. Whatever is left, we seal, two to a bag, and freeze them. My wife and I just had two tonight for supper.

I took a bunch of bluegills and pureed them in the food processor. I then sealed and froze them. When I get ready to cook them, I mix some onion and green pepper in with them. I then shape them into patties and fry them in a little oil. They hold together well and make a nice-sized piece of fish. I've never done this, but you could probably add a little filler such and bread crumbs or cracker crumbs to make the fish to a little further. You might also be able to make a nice beer batter to dip them in and then deep dry them. You'll think you're at Long John Silver's

My only issue with my sealer is that sometimes that seals fail. Even when that happens it doesn't seem to have an adverse effect on the quality of the frozen food.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I'm saving a lot of $$ with mine by buying a small boneless ham & shaving it on a slicer instead of buying the shaved ham in the small packages.
    It packs easy in about 3/4 to 1 lb packages & I can get it ate up in lunches before it goes bad.
    I trick I found to vac seal fish that you caught, put the fish in zip-lock bag and add a little water seal the bag then freeze. After frozen you can vac-seal the whole thing or tear it out of the zip-lock then vac-seal the iced fish. Doing it this way will give you moister flakier fish after cooking & it will last frozen longer.

Top Bottom