• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Mid sized Stihl or Husky, depending on the servicing dealer closest to you. While a lot of people have a preference, it's the Ford Vs Chevy discussion and it boils down to what you like best. Since you don't know, either one will work equally well for you.

Having said that though, a few thoughts:

Going out in the woods with only one saw is foolish. You need a second saw when -not if- you get the first one stuck.

Invest in protective equipment and WEAR IT. A chainsaw that can go through a 10" hickory log in 5 seconds can cut off parts of you MUCH faster. It takes a person about .2 seconds to react on average, and in that time a sharp saw can sever a leg.

Learn how to hand sharpen your chain and KEEP IT SHARP. The chain is the heart of the cutting system and I've seen more saws abused and sold because the owner couldn't maintain the chain.

I touch up my chain each time I fuel it and it takes from 2-5 minutes depending on which saw I am using.

NEVER operate a saw when you are unduly tired or aggravated. My rule of thumb when I go out is that I go out after having eaten, I run through 2 tanks of fuel (one for each saw), and then I get another meal and a rest before doing more. Fatigue will get you hurt. It's not just the saw that can get you hurt either, falling limbs, branches snapping back, etc. I was almost disemboweled after a cant hook I was using broke the handle and I went head first over the log down an embankment. Luckily the log did not roll on top of me, and my shirt was torn and I had a long scratch on my side where the jagged edge of the handle caught me as I was going over.

Work with someone else nearby when you can, or at least let someone know when you are going out and when you should report back.
    Excellent advise.:yesway::yesway::yesway:

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I agree with you on the 372 as being a great saw. I have had a few 288 Husky's that I really liked as well. It's a damned shame the 372's aren't being produced anymore. As far as the 10" cants and the 372 beating the 660. That doesn't surprise me at all. Things would probably be different if the race was bucking up 36" logs with with both saw running 36" bars.

The 660 can run a bigger bar in bigger wood true, but in smaller wood you can run a bigger spocket to take advantage of the cc's to give you faster chain speed to out run the smaller saw.
    It's all about chain speed.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    So... since we seem to have all the chainsaw experts on here....

What is a good saw for a newb? I'm putting a wood burner in the house sometime soon, and will be cutting/splitting a lot of my own wood. I also do "trail maintenance" a couple of times a year, so need to carry the saw in my Jeep to clear trails of downed trees and brush. Basically, I want the most portable saw that can still get the work done, and will start after sitting for months.

I have a feeling I'm not quite in the same league as you guys!

Don't fall in get my brand advice. I have run a lot of saws Dolmar, Husqvarna, Stihil, Homelite, Efco, etc.
    It's really a perferance. They are all great saws. Go and look at some saws, swing them around a bit, maybe even a trial cut or two if possible.

If it's too cheap stay away from it, use you common sense. You really do get what you pay for here. Yes that purple and yellow poulan for 120 dollars new is not the answer. Also be aware that some big name companies make cheap junk.
    Good example the 1 and 2 series Husqvarna's are just rebadged Poulans.

Get a brand that's has a local dealer near by, so you can have it serviced.

A back up is really a good idea, nothing sucks more going out to cut and having a saw that won't start. Get 2 saws one a little bigger than the other to serve as a back-up and for the bigger logs you will come across.

If the idea of lead in your gas doesn't bother you run av fuel 100ll, Why? Because it won't go bad in you saw or eat up your lines. I have saws that run this stuff and can pick one up after a year and it will start. No, it won't hurt your saw. That's all the loggers around here run in there saws.

If it was me I would get 2 Husqvarnas, A 346xp and a 372xp. But like I said it's a perferance thing.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Glad i'm not the only one with love for the Dolmars! :rockwoot:

Sold my husky to get a 6400 with a 24" bar on a recommendation of a friend who's heated with wood his whole life. He's got the model that pre-dates the 510 that was purchased in the mid 80's still on the original spark plug. Since getting the 6400, i've also added a 5100 with a 18" bar. Been the best saws i've owned.

To anyone looking for a dolmar dealer, i work with one. Send me a pm and i'll get you his number. He's located near Greencastle.

DOLMAR Power Products
    Add another to the list.

I have the blue and gray version of the 6400. Ex-HD rental saw. Someday, I may switch in a BB kit or 7900 P&C and make it really scream. But I'm happy with it for now, although the power:weight isn't all that impressive (same weight as the 7900).

I'm just a wood-burner so it's hard to justify the mods. I'm burning wood to save money on heat, I don't want to spend it all on modding my saws just so I can cut wood a bit faster.

I also have a mildly modded Stihl MS170 that is an animal for it's size. I love that saw. Unless I'm cutting big wood, I'll always choose that one over the Dolmar just for the weight difference.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Add another to the list.

I have the blue and gray version of the 6400. Ex-HD rental saw. Someday, I may switch in a BB kit or 7900 P&C and make it really scream. But I'm happy with it for now, although the power:weight isn't all that impressive (same weight as the 7900).

I'm just a wood-burner so it's hard to justify the mods. I'm burning wood to save money on heat, I don't want to spend it all on modding my saws just so I can cut wood a bit faster.

I also have a mildly modded Stihl MS170 that is an animal for it's size. I love that saw. Unless I'm cutting big wood, I'll always choose that one over the Dolmar just for the weight difference.
    I'm always hitting up HD for their rental Makitas, but so far I have struck out. I know some guys that got great deals buying a rental saw from them. I did have an older Sachs Dolmar 120 Super that I liked a lot, but it got ran over by a tractor.

I agree with you on the mods. If your just cutting firewood on the weekend most stock saws work just fine. If your falling timber for a living a good woods port will help out production. Most loggers around here though, run stock 372's or MS 440's with the exception of maybe opening up their mufflers or getting a dual port muffler cover.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour

The 290 should have a little more grunt than the 026, but the 026 is a better built saw.
    The handle gives the Stihls away. A orange or black handle Stihl is a consumer grade saw made for light to medium use.
    A white handle Stihl is pro grade made for heavy use and designed to be worked on.

IMO I would rebuilt the 026, it sounds like it may have carb issues. Maybe a carb rebuilt and new kill switch? It's hard to really say based on what information that's given.

What pitch is are you chains. I think 026's had .325 pitch/.063 gauge. Which should be the same as the MS290. So yes they should work, but I would ask my Stihl dealer to be sure. Either way you should be able to simply change the spocket on the MS290 for you chain pitch, if you need to, so you can use you chains.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah it's .325. So white handle equals better saw? I'm going to take it in the morning to get it serviced. What would be too much to sink into it?

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Yeah it's .325. So white handle equals better saw? I'm going to take it in the morning to get it serviced. What would be too much to sink into it?

Yeah, generally speaking the white handles are your pro grade saws. Not always true though, the 200t is black handle, but is a pro grade saw.

How much you put in it is up to you. How much do you like the saw? Is it in good shape. I'd put more money in one that didn't look beat up vs one that looks trash for the simple reason of resale if needed.
    People like pretty looking saws.

Good used 026's run 200 to 250. Really a bargain if you consider a brand new MS261 (current replacement) will run you somewhere around 550. Even the cheaper MS290 is going to put you over 300.

So if you end up putting a hundred or two into it your still coming out one top IMO. You may get lucky and it only need a carb kit and some tuning and kill switches are cheap.

If for some reason you don't get it fix. Make sure you keep it, because your saw is still worth something in just parts.

Last edited:

kingstrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    Wow that is a cool collection! Years ago my wife asked what I wanted for father's day and I mentioned a chainsaw. Two weeks later she presented me with a Craftsman electric chainsaw. Not bad for a little import but can't really do much with it so I bought a Stihl instead.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Wow that is a cool collection! Years ago my wife asked what I wanted for father's day and I mentioned a chainsaw. Two weeks later she presented me with a Craftsman electric chainsaw. Not bad for a little import but can't really do much with it so I bought a Stihl instead.

I got married to my first wife at age 18, and when her parents asked what we wanted for a wedding present, I said a chainsaw. We got dishes. Less than a year later, I bought my property and bought a chainsaw and we used that saw way more than we ever used the dishes.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Got an estimate today, only took them a week and a half compared to the three days they promised. Carb is shot. $165 to rebuild.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Got an estimate today, only took them a week and a half compared to the three days they promised. Carb is shot. $165 to rebuild.

165 buc's for a carb rebuild!!!!!!!...carb kit is less than 10 buc's and 40 min's tops to put it in....i could get you a new carb for a lot less than that........

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    My favorite saw I have ever used. Solo 794. Usually run a 28" or 32" bar.

dsc03126g.jpg

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    You been a logger most of your life and you prefer a 290 to your 660. Something ain't quite right here. The 290 is a clam shell over weight turd. The 660 is a true professional tree slaying machine. Really there's nothing wrong with the 290-310-390 home owner series of Stihl saws for general fire wood cutting, but they are not designed the be ran hard 8 to 10 hours a day every day by people who earn their living using chainsaws.

I agree the 660 is my first choice when logging. But at home, which is what I thought you were talking about, the 290 will do any and everything I need it too. Whether cutting firwood, trimming trees, or cutting up my bowl blanks to be turned I use the 290. I would not use the 290 at work just as I would not use the 660 at home. After lugging that heavy saw all day at work I enjoy using the 290 at home. :)

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    My favorite saw I have ever used. Solo 794. Usually run a 28" or 32" bar.

dsc03126g.jpg
    Damn fine saw you have there, Solo= QUALITY , but like Dolmar, Solo dealers are hard to find around here. I see more Solo sprayers than saws around here. They do make a fine backpack sprayer also.

Last edited:

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I agree the 660 is my first choice when logging. But at home, which is what I thought you were talking about, the 290 will do any and everything I need it too. Whether cutting firwood, trimming trees, or cutting up my bowl blanks to be turned I use the 290. I would not use the 290 at work just as I would not use the 660 at home. After lugging that heavy saw all day at work I enjoy using the 290 at home. :)
    I see and understand what your saying now. I really didn't think you would choose your 290 over a 660 when it came time to putting timber on the ground:yesway:

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Man, I wish you would have replied 23 hours ago...

My dealer does carb rebuilds for like 15 to 30 dollars. I kind of figure it was carb related. IMO though 165 is too much for a just a carb rebuild, are they doing any thing else to it?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom