• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I stated this before on a chainsaw site and about got hung. lol. But the 066/660 is the most disappointing stock saw I've ever ran. It's also the most impressive modded saw I've ever ran.

When my 066's were stock they could bare out run my mildly modded Dolmar 7900.
    (93cc's vs 79cc's) But in the 660's defence, the 7900 is a monster modded.

The 660 is a great saw though and really deserves it's huge cult following although not this fastest/powerful in it's class.
    The Dolmar 7900 is by far the best saw out there is this size class of saws. Get them while you can. Thanks to the EPA regulations. Dolmar dealers are pretty rare in my neck of the woods

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I currently have an MS200T and a 361. I want to get a nice 056.
    The 200T saws are in a class by themselves, expensive yes, but well worth the price. Good luck finding a nice 056. They are out there but most have been beat to death falling timber. They are fine saws, but they can be prone to ignition problems and coils are no longer available at Stihl for them. I use my 361 more than any saw I own when it comes to making firewood. My 044 and 440 don't see much use since I got my 361. Some say they will cure cancer.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    I just sold this Super Wiz 55 that I bought back in 1977. Got to be too much for my back. But it cut like nothing else. Had a .5-inch pitch chain that didn't care if it was sharp or not. Great for cutting stumps out of the ground.
    picture.php
    picture.php

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I can never see a professional tree faller choosing a 290 over an 066-MS 660, but to each is own.

True, but there's more to chainsaw work than just felling. I use to use my 395xp for everything from felling to bucking, but now will pick my PP 330 up first.

Around here there is less need to run 32" plus bars. Most stuff around here can be done with 20" bars. IMO the 660 is wasted running 20" bars.

Now you want to run a 20" bar with a legendary saw lets talk Husqarvana 262xp or Stihl MS361.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    338xpt 14"... ported,modded muff,

55 16"...ported,modded muff

372xp 20"...big bore, ported,modded muff...16k + rpm's:D

394xp 36"... ported, modded muff

Mac 550....stock

Mac 10-10...stock

Homy XL...stock

all the above are workin' saws but the last 3....i wouldn't give you a plug nickel for a stihl....but thats me...

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    338xpt 14"... ported,modded muff,

55 16"...ported,modded muff

372xp 20"...big bore, ported,modded muff...16k + rpm's:D

394xp 36"... ported, modded muff

Mac 550....stock

Mac 10-10...stock

Homy XL...stock

all the above are workin' saws but the last 3....i wouldn't give you a plug nickel for a stihl....but thats me...

We have the same taste in saws.

I'll bet that's 372xp is a runner. I've seen a ported 372xp beat a piped 660 in 10" cant.

Without a question of the best Husky has ever made.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    No one told me to stand on the handle when i first pulled the cord, and it bounced into my leg.

....didn't catch, but I about had heart attack....Really ruined them for me, ha.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

I'll bet that's 372xp is a runner. I've seen a ported 372xp beat a piped 660 in 10" cant.

yes we do...

it will go though a 10" hickory in a little under 5 sec's and rakers at .045:D.....i like big chips:yesway:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So... since we seem to have all the chainsaw experts on here....

What is a good saw for a newb? I'm putting a wood burner in the house sometime soon, and will be cutting/splitting a lot of my own wood. I also do "trail maintenance" a couple of times a year, so need to carry the saw in my Jeep to clear trails of downed trees and brush. Basically, I want the most portable saw that can still get the work done, and will start after sitting for months.

I have a feeling I'm not quite in the same league as you guys!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Mid sized Stihl or Husky, depending on the servicing dealer closest to you. While a lot of people have a preference, it's the Ford Vs Chevy discussion and it boils down to what you like best. Since you don't know, either one will work equally well for you.

Having said that though, a few thoughts:

Going out in the woods with only one saw is foolish. You need a second saw when -not if- you get the first one stuck.

Invest in protective equipment and WEAR IT. A chainsaw that can go through a 10" hickory log in 5 seconds can cut off parts of you MUCH faster. It takes a person about .2 seconds to react on average, and in that time a sharp saw can sever a leg.

Learn how to hand sharpen your chain and KEEP IT SHARP. The chain is the heart of the cutting system and I've seen more saws abused and sold because the owner couldn't maintain the chain.

I touch up my chain each time I fuel it and it takes from 2-5 minutes depending on which saw I am using.

NEVER operate a saw when you are unduly tired or aggravated. My rule of thumb when I go out is that I go out after having eaten, I run through 2 tanks of fuel (one for each saw), and then I get another meal and a rest before doing more. Fatigue will get you hurt. It's not just the saw that can get you hurt either, falling limbs, branches snapping back, etc. I was almost disemboweled after a cant hook I was using broke the handle and I went head first over the log down an embankment. Luckily the log did not roll on top of me, and my shirt was torn and I had a long scratch on my side where the jagged edge of the handle caught me as I was going over.

Work with someone else nearby when you can, or at least let someone know when you are going out and when you should report back.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    husky 455, 445 or a good used 55 would be a good choice's....will limb and cut logs to 36"...they all we come with 18" bars

as shibumiseeker said get some safety gear...ears,eye's(same as shootin') and a nice par of chaps....1 tap on the leg with a chain spinnin' is all it takes for a nasty gash!!!

and too....don't go at it like your killin' snakes....it's hard work if you aint' used to it...

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I laughed out loud when I saw the title of the post. For years I have always loved and looked forward to the opportunity to head into the woods for some firewood cutting. Love my Stihl 041 and newer generation 290. I loan most of my tools to friends. Never my Stihl. Never.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yeah, my MS200T cost as much as my 361. My brother wanted to borrow the 200 so I gave hi my dads old saw. He was utterly clueless on how to operate the toolless chain cover. No way I was going to let him use my $600 saw.

I let my f-I-l borrow it and it came back with the chain off and the chain guide bent go hell.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    The Dolmar 7900 is by far the best saw out there is this size class of saws. Get them while you can. Thanks to the EPA regulations. Dolmar dealers are pretty rare in my neck of the woods

Glad i'm not the only one with love for the Dolmars! :rockwoot:

Sold my husky to get a 6400 with a 24" bar on a recommendation of a friend who's heated with wood his whole life. He's got the model that pre-dates the 510 that was purchased in the mid 80's still on the original spark plug. Since getting the 6400, i've also added a 5100 with a 18" bar. Been the best saws i've owned.

To anyone looking for a dolmar dealer, i work with one. Send me a pm and i'll get you his number. He's located near Greencastle.

DOLMAR Power Products

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I Love anything with a 2 stroke motor, or a 4 stroke for that matter. I have lots of experience with saws although I don't own one right now as I really have no use on my tiny lot, but I can't wait to buy one when I move. Doubt I will ever have a collection like the OPs though

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So... since we seem to have all the chainsaw experts on here....

What is a good saw for a newb? I'm putting a wood burner in the house sometime soon, and will be cutting/splitting a lot of my own wood. I also do "trail maintenance" a couple of times a year, so need to carry the saw in my Jeep to clear trails of downed trees and brush. Basically, I want the most portable saw that can still get the work done, and will start after sitting for months.

I have a feeling I'm not quite in the same league as you guys!

imo sthil is the best saw made (atleast the best ive run) my 460 will cut better than my budies husky 355 ( i think thats the model) BUT it will not cut 2x as fast and it costs 2x as much. if i ever feal the need for a new saw it will probably be a husky

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010

I agree with you on the 372 as being a great saw. I have had a few 288 Husky's that I really liked as well. It's a damned shame the 372's aren't being produced anymore. As far as the 10" cants and the 372 beating the 660. That doesn't surprise me at all. Things would probably be different if the race was bucking up 36" logs with with both saw running 36" bars.

Top Bottom