Anyone have experience getting an LTCH in Carmel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The first time I got my LTCH was in Terre Haute, when I was in school back in the late 80's. The Chief of Police did meet with me personally, and I vividly remember him telling me:
    1) Make sure I waited until the criminal was in my house
    2) Buy some Black Talon ammunition for my handgun, as that was what they used in their guns.

I sort of recall him handing me a piece of paper that I signed that essentially said I wanted the LTCH because of my 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Been a long time though.

When I got my lifetime LTCH here in Fishers, I just filled out the paperwork and came back for it a few hours later, then sent it on to the State.

A-savvy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    My mother had to do an interview with the Carmel police chief before she could get her LTCH 9 years ago. And my stepfather had to do the interview also 12 years ago. They both had to wait a long time before they actually received there LTCH too.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    My interview is in January, while I disagree I think its a good practice. I expect good sense from my local govt and this makes plenty sense. We live in Carmel, where everything is well you know Carmel.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I had to meet with the Captain in Bedford. He used it as fingerprinting time and get to know you.

Lasted about 5 minutes including the fingerpprinting and me wrting th $10 dollar check. I guess I could have sat there and said nothing when he was exchanging pleasantries but I am not sure how wise that would have been.

When I left a voice mail to set a meeting for the local fingerprinting he was out for coffee and he returned my call as soon as he got back. Then he rearanged his schidule to meet me for the fingerprinting because I was going out of town and he was going to be on vacation when I got back.

All in all it was an easy process and he was a nice guy.

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I was in unincorporated Carmel so the sheriff was my local leo and getting the LTCH was pretty simple but I was asked why I wanted it and I said for self defense. I was issued the LTCH. When I was incorporated into Carmel I detected a subtle bias against the LTCH but had no interview and they tried to deny my renewal. Well I appealed to the ISP supervisor that oversees the LTCH and won the appeal. Not sure why the attempted denial but I have my lifetime permit.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had to meet with the Captain in Bedford. He used it as fingerprinting time and get to know you.

Lasted about 5 minutes including the fingerpprinting and me wrting th $10 dollar check. I guess I could have sat there and said nothing when he was exchanging pleasantries but I am not sure how wise that would have been.

When I left a voice mail to set a meeting for the local fingerprinting he was out for coffee and he returned my call as soon as he got back. Then he rearanged his schidule to meet me for the fingerprinting because I was going out of town and he was going to be on vacation when I got back.

All in all it was an easy process and he was a nice guy.

Was this relatively recently? As I mentioned earlier, the sheriff's office (since I live in the county) didn't require a meeting. Just show up, finger printing, full out the form, pay your money, and out you go (maybe 3-4 years ago). Maybe the BPD is slightly different.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I just wanted to give you guys an update on this. I just got a call yesterday informing me that Carmel has changed it's rules and no longer requires a meeting with the chief of police. I guess the volume of applicants must have been too much for them.

At any rate I think this is a positive move for the city, and I hope that others follow suit.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I just wanted to give you guys an update on this. I just got a call yesterday informing me that Carmel has changed it's rules and no longer requires a meeting with the chief of police. I guess the volume of applicants must have been too much for them.

At any rate I think this is a positive move for the city, and I hope that others follow suit.

Sweet, thanks for the info, repped! Guess I'll apply then. Not that it was a big deal but it was just one extra thing to do when I'm already very busy!

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.

Thats very good news, i have 3 in my family which need to be licensed and wasnt looking forward to the wait.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    After getting my fingerprints, they gave my the phone number for the officer to talk to in Carmel before I could get my LTCH. When I called, they told me that I would have to talk to the Westfield Police station. My address is Carmel, but I live just on the north side of 146, so its technically Westfield. So I went to the Westfield station, and didn't talk to anyone except for the person at the window who took my money.

But it did seem that if I lived in Carmel, I would have to do a face-to-face meeting to get my LTCH.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County

Good to hear, you will probably have it in a week. wouldn't be surprised to hear them go back to FTF meeting when the volume subsides, if that is the reason for the policy change.

When I got mine I went through the same thing. The C.O.P office was trying to schedule me 3 weeks out. This after already being a week past my fingerprinting at L-1. I politely complained about my 2A rights being delayed in a "Shall Issue" State through no fault of my own and the lady asked if she could call me back after talking to the Chief who was out of his office. I advised no problem. She called back about an hour later and I got an appointment 8 days out.

When I met the Chief he was a pretty good guy. He apologized for the wait and advised that the meeting was a face to face to go over my record and the laws for carrying and answer any questions that I might have. We finished with his questions (I had an arrest over 20 years ago where charges were dropped) and he asked if I had any Q's. I asked about his thoughts on OC and the PD's policies regarding and mentioned that I had read about incidents in other areas where legal gun owners with LTCH were pulled over in traffic stops that were disarmed, handcuffed and detained while LEO ran license and in a couple of cases serial #'s of the firearm. I got reasonable answers (for me anyway) and when we finished (abt. 10 - 15 mins.) he signed my application and said that I should have my LTCH in a few days. Probably less than a week. My appoint was on a Thurs. and I got my LTCH the following Wed.

I felt was good time spent. I got to meet the C.O.P. and inquire as to local policy and approaches that I had some questions about. I just would have liked to get through a little faster. I still had mine in under 30 days, where I have seen people wait close to 60 days when doing everything by mail.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Yeah, that's the real question. Will they go back to this policy when volume subsides or not? Interesting. I should probably just sign up now. Hopefully I am scrape some money together.

Last edited:

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I went through the same thing in Carmel with the previous (now retired) chief. Other than fitting into his "busy schedule" (about a 3 week wait), it was uneventful. He opened with "this is just a formality; we both know that I can't deny your application". It was nice to meet the chief in a positive, low-pressure situation. The main problem was the delay. Having said that, I wonder how it would have gone if I gave the impression of being something less than an upstanding citizen. It would be interesting to see someone fight this. As for me, life's too short, and that's not a battle I choose.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I still had mine in under 30 days, where I have seen people wait close to 60 days when doing everything by mail.

That's nothing. It took me over twelve weeks to get mine and there are members here who applied over six months ago and still haven't received it.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Indiana is a "shall issue state" so he can't torpedo your license. Honestly it would be good to talk to him anyways and get a list of places where it is illegal to carry a gun in IN. However, double check ANYTHING he tells you. Cops aren't lawyers or legislators and they often misquote the law or just get it plain wrong.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    I got my first LTCH around 30 years ago in Carmel. I was young and didn't know what to expect. I went in and the pleasant lady behind the counter handed me the application, and said that I could fill it out and submit it right on the spot. When I was finished I handed it to her expecting to get my approval or denial in the mail months later. Instead she looked at the phone and said that the chief wasn't busy and could talk to me right now. I was surprised but said sure fully expecting to be grilled while he held a bright light in my face. I sat down with the chief and we made small talk about the community, weather and etc.for about 5 minutes. I thought that to be safe I had better give him a synopsis of 2A (looking back I think that he was already familiar with that document.) He smiled shook my hand and told me to enjoy the beautiful weather, and I was on my way. :) I received my license in a couple of weeks.

Now live in Marion Co. and that was the first and last pleasant experience that I have ever had with ANY government office. :xmad: That lazy batch of alpha sierra sierra holes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom