Anyone have any opinions on .357 lever guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm thinking about picking one up but have some questions...
    What models do you like? What kind of accuracy can I expect out of one? What would I have to do to it to reliably shoot .38 specials?

Thanks in advance for your help!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Henry is always a good choice. Puma (Rossi) makes a less expensive one. I would guess that 175-200 +- 30yrd is pushing the limits of that round. .38sp fires just fine out of the lever, go with round nose not pointed (prob cant find them much anyhow!), theres prob much more info out there, but thats what I know.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Henry is always a good choice. Puma (Rossi) makes a less expensive one. I would guess that 175-200 +- 30yrd is pushing the limits of that round. .38sp fires just fine out of the lever, go with round nose not pointed (prob cant find them much anyhow!), theres prob much more info out there, but thats what I know.

Redneckmedic,

Please do not take this as some sort of cyberstalking but for safety reasons I need to correct your above advice.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/1894_centerfireRifles/1894C.htm

Under the heading "How to Load" it has this warning:

"WARNING Regarding Ammunition: Some pointed and full metal jacket round nose bullets are on the market which can chainfire other cartridges in a tubular magazine during recoil causing severe injury and damage. If you are uncertain about the safety of using a particular cartridge in your Marlin, contact the ammunition or bullet manufacturer."

Please don't think I am "picking on" you or anything because this happens to be the third time today that I've corrected something you've said.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I had a Marlin 1894C that I just loved! It was accurate, and a ton of fun to shoot. Hated selling it, and plan/hope to have another by next fall.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I'll second the Marlin vote! Had a few Winchesters and found the Marlin suited my taste better. Henry and Puma may be cheaper than the Marlin and they are both fine rifles, but the Marlin is still my choice.

I've seen the result of ball ammo being fired in a tube fed firearm and it ain't pretty. Don't know what happened to the shooter but the firearm I saw displayed still had blood on it. Flat points with a wide meplat only for me. Jacketed slugs in a levergun somehow seems sacrilegious anyway.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for all the great info! I am aware of the dangers of using ball rounds in a lever gun. I think I'm going to start actively looking for one, either a Marlin or a puma just depends on price.

Thanks again!

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Had a Winchester, it left a bad taste in my mouth.... it had problems with reliability in feeding the rounds, very accurate though...

Marlin 1894 is the cat's meow though... Accurate and reliable... Just a bit more expensive...

Haven't tryed the puma, henry, or any of the others as of yet... although when I had a conversation with my local gunsmith, he said to stay away from anything but a Marlin..... Don't know if this helps at all....

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I have a Puma in .44 magnum, and I love it. Great gun, holds ten rounds, and is accurate. That's what I'm taking deer hunting this year.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Can't speak for the others but the Marlins are fine rifles. Best results I have seen come from 180 grain bullets. Handloading really brings out the potential of the 38/357 in a Marlin.:)

Madmax

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indy Southeast
    357 Lever Gun

I had a Rossi...hated it, but I love my Marlin...You might have to hand feed wad cutters but they are fun to shoot and loud when they come out of that 18" barrel.
    :rockwoot:

bulldog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Crawfordsville,In
    I own a Marli myself. I love it. I've never fired 38's through it.I also have a Puma in 357 and it shoots 38's just fine.I understand puma lever actions are now being manufactured in Italy instead of Brazil.Perhaps that is the reason for the new higher prices.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I shoot .45Colt leverguns, but .357s are really no different.

Marlins are best, though if you're just looking for a hunting/plinking rifle, the Rossi/Pumas are fine guns, especially in stainless. If you can afford the extra dough, go Marlin, I think they've perfect leverguns, strong, reliable and accurate. They are also very easy to break down and clean up. That said, for competition, I shoot an Uberti 1873 clone as they are slightly faster and just as reliable, but I find the Marlin more fun and enjoyable.

You must use flat point bullets, period.

You can shoot .38 Special through some of the .357 guns, but some are very OAL sensitive and you either have to load the .38s long, or just use .357. Oh, did I mention reloading is nearly a must? Whether it be competition, plinking or hunting, reload for it, you'll be able to thoroughly enjoy it at that point.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I'm thinking about picking one up but have some questions...
    What models do you like? What kind of accuracy can I expect out of one? What would I have to do to it to reliably shoot .38 specials?

Thanks in advance for your help!

they are good enough to take deer at 50 + yards..

I have a Winchester, the trigger is not the best.. I have heard the Marlin trigger is better..

Factory sights are not that great, but many after market ones can be found for any of them..

elliot454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Hello I love the marlin with the new hornady leverlution nylon tipped ammo, a little pricey though. For a deer gun I use an h&r heavy barreled single shot .357. Theres little recoil and my 12 yr old loves it

Top Bottom