• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    So I've been wanting to get into tactical shotgunning, and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Mossberg 930 SPX?? From all I've read the first run versions seemed to have some issues, but the later models run smooth as glass. Just wondering if anyone has one, and their experience with it; good or bad? Thanks!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    A friend of mine has one that he bought last year. When he first brought it home the thing would not cycle hardly at all. it would shoot the first couple of shots then jam or not throw the shell out at all. So we tried a few different types of shells with the same result. So he ended up sending the gun back to Mossberg an they had it for about a month an a half and Im not sure what they did so Im not going to guess, but since hes had it back its ran Flawless! It will run anything from cheapo target loads to buckshot. So all in all I would try one, it is pretty darn nice since he got it fixed now I cant speak for all 930s but it is fun to shoot.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    A friend of mine has one that he bought last year. When he first brought it home the thing would not cycle hardly at all. it would shoot the first couple of shots then jam or not throw the shell out at all. So we tried a few different types of shells with the same result. So he ended up sending the gun back to Mossberg an they had it for about a month an a half and Im not sure what they did so Im not going to guess, but since hes had it back its ran Flawless! It will run anything from cheapo target loads to buckshot. So all in all I would try one, it is pretty darn nice since he got it fixed now I cant speak for all 930s but it is fun to shoot.

Ya, this is the issue I've read about with earlier models...Seems as though they need a 200 round break in period with slugs to get the action to smooth out. Also, I've noticed the first ones came out with a benelli style bolt where the new ones have a beefier looking one...not sure if that helps just an observation.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    The 930 action is a good affordable semi shotgun, I was looking at the Jerry Michulek and Patrick Flanagan models but they got sold before I made mi decision. I end up buying a FN SLP 18 inch model for a decent price (but about $400.00 more than the Mossy), I did had a 930 spx and I did not have any issues with it but the overall quality of the FN is better, if you are serious about a great tactical shotgun FN is a great option for far less than a Benelli.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    The 930 action is a good affordable semi shotgun, I was looking at the Jerry Michulek and Patrick Flanagan models but they got sold before I made mi decision. I end up buying a FN SLP 18 inch model for a decent price (but about $400.00 more than the Mossy), I did had a 930 spx and I did not have any issues with it but the overall quality of the FN is better, if you are serious about a great tactical shotgun FN is a great option for far less than a Benelli.

Yes, I've read MANY great things about the SLP. I would look more seriously into that one, however I am not on that level of shotgunning at all. I don't think its necessarily top of line-best shotgun-no one can beat me now (haha) BUT I think it's a bit out of my price range from a entry level tactical shotgunner (auto loading). I have plenty of experience with pump guns, just not with auto's. Anyways, I felt the 930 would be a good entry point for a tactical shotgun. Good gun, maybe a little higher quality than others, but also wont break the bank being super high end.

Novabeast69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    I have the 930 spx without the pistol grip. When new I cleaned, oiled, and ran a couple of boxes of 00 buck through it. It will run anything you throw at it now. Fun to shoot. Prices seem to be going up though.

Tim1911

Marksman
    Rating - 87%
    20   3   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I have had my 930 for about two years now and love it. I cannot recall ever having issues with mine running low brass. When I got it I ran about 200 rounds through and gave it a good cleaning. It has functioned very well for me. I went with the traditional stock versus the pistol grip because of the position of the Mossberg safety. I have used mine to shoot trap/skeet, three gun, and it is currently serving as my HD gun. My friend enjoyed shooting it so much that last summer he had to buy his own. I would definitely reccomend it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I ran into a guy at the range a few weeks ago that was trying his out again. He said it had been back to Mossberg 3 times and this trip to the range proved no better. FTE problems.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have had one for a few years.It did have a problem when breaking it in and would catch shells as they ejected.After a few hundred rounds it runs flawlessly now.It is the go to weapon of choice for us when something goes bump in the middle of the night.Up here(Northern Minnesota)that bump could be anything.The former owner of our place had a battle at the back door with a black bear trying to break into the house.
    The spx is what I did this with a few weeks ago. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../296759-scratching_clawing_noise_at_1_am.html

The only addition ours has is a light.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have one of the early ones. Mine had a canted front sight tower, sent just the barrel to Mossberg, they sent me a new one.

The other issue I had, I installed a Mesa side saddle, and the bolts that were included with the side saddle were a hair too small in diameter.
    Apperently when Mesa made some of the early side saddles, this was a problem, Mesa mailed out the correct screws and it has been flawless.

Prior to installing the side saddle, I had no cycling issues, once the saddle was installed I had cycling issues. Just to be clear, once I had the new screws for the side saddle the gun has been perfect.
    They are hard to beat for the money.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I have one and my old boss had one. Mine needed some buck\slugs to break in. (I ordered mine before they were out) After that it would run any garbage. His ran low brass from the start. (years newer than mine)

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have one and my old boss had one. Mine needed some buck\slugs to break in. (I ordered mine before they were out) After that it would run any garbage. His ran low brass from the start. (years newer than mine)

Mine ran anything and everything right out of the box. I guess I got lucky.
    I had read some would and some wouldn't.

PiZZaMaN2K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    La Porte, In
    I got a version 1 model and it wouldn't really cycle anything at all, sent it back and when i got it back they had replaced the mag tube, mag spring, bolt/carrier and trigger group. Run just fine now.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I had one for quite a while and have ZERO complaints about it. Never had a single problem with it. Are the more expensive ones better? Sure they are, but at this price point, I'd give the 930spx a HEARTY thumbs up. The one to take with you to derkaderkastan? Probably not. But I'd take another one in a heartbeat for my uses.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I had one for quite a while and have ZERO complaints about it. Never had a single problem with it. Are the more expensive ones better? Sure they are, but at this price point, I'd give the 930spx a HEARTY thumbs up. The one to take with you to derkaderkastan? Probably not. But I'd take another one in a heartbeat for my uses.

Do you have one for each hand? I can for sure see you duel wielding 12 gauges.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom