Anyone going to try hitting "running" deer with new 5 Cartridge rifles this Fall

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Seriously....no. Not ever. You can't possibly focus on your target and swing the gun and be checking what is behind the target at the same time. Not a safe ethical shot in my opinion.

Further I'll clarify...this is my opinion no matter the device I'm using (bow, shotgun, PCR, HPR or spear). If the gun in your hand dictates whether you take a running shot I'd be a little concerned. Besides I'm a firm believe in NEVER taking shots you've not practiced and mastered.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    shot a 6 pointer at 20 yards at a dead run threw both lungs with my Bear Kodiak receurve.....does that count:dunno:

then skipped a arrow off a coyotes nose that was chasin' it......yote wasn't goin' as fast...:)

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    My Dad shot one antler off a deer running across a cornfield once. I've never been able to duplicate that. It's the most impressive shot I've ever seen.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    If you only have one shot, you learn quickly how to make it count. People today are too used to a spray and pray mentality.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Covering new ground and jump shooting deer..........
    is that the same as being in a stand and having a deer trot by (where you have surveyed the entire area and know what's safe)?

Both moving deer, different setups.

So the blanket statement of "don't shoot moving deer, never".................is pretty silly IMHO.

Hell, if you're alone and doing a push/kick up with a J hook move, you probably will shoot the deer where you just were.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    IMO, scoped sighted rifles tend to discourage shooting at running targets and bead sighted shotguns tend to encourage it for a variety of reasons.

That being said, I cleanly killed both animals I shot with a rifle while running, a deer and a pig. I certainly haven't made a habit of shooting at running targets though and will only take the shot in a few narrowly defined situations.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Over scoped rifles suck. Proper fit and cheekweld, a low power scope makes movers easier.
    Bead sighted shotguns discourage it IMHO, because one has to put the bead in the same spot along the receiver (since bead and receiver edge are used as iron sights). Smaller and of longer radius, they are slow to align. Slow and mover don't mix.

Sure some folks shoot bead sighted rigs at deer like rabbits. The low success rate of not aiming a bead sighted rig probably has them few in number.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    5 round? I thought the rule was 10 round. Shells are cheap! I'm going to fill the air with lead and see what happens. Might get one finally.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Sure some folks shoot bead sighted rigs at deer like rabbits. The low success rate of not aiming a bead sighted rig probably has them few in number.

You obviously don't hunt anywhere near public land if you believe low success rates discourage people from relying on volume of fire to bring down deer with bead sighted shotguns. Lucky you! The problem with bead sights is that most people don't aim them at all, they point them which leads to a missed/wounded deer and subsequent rapid fire follow ups.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some folks in the excitement forget to aim their iron sights.
    I worked in a decent volume shop, lots of public land hunters......since a certain spot not that far away.
    Most ran iron sighted mossbergs. Some had bead sighted rigs, quite a few having them D&T for scope mounts (usually a crap scope added).
    Some did use bead only, and I'd say they few in number, and half of them understanding how to use the bead and receiver as iron sights- not just point shooting.
    Most deer hunters I've met run sights or scopes. Now the junk scopes and mixed lots of ammo, or see through rings.........with reg combs on buttstocks........

Maybe the rubes a little north are more sophisticated.

Did have one gent admit a decent buck popped up and he looked over his scope....................and fired.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some folks can't spot the hit. Slugs in the boiler room often have the deer kick in the afterburners.
    Movers are fun.
    Hit 'em again if you can/want.

One in the kill zone or 3 or 4............doesn't matter to me.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, I don't care what sights a person uses as long as they are effective and safe.

Case-in-point, I lost $100 bet to my dad many years ago. During the routine "it's fall, better break out the slug guns and make sure they are sighted in" family shooting event, dad asked for any takers on if he could hit the 4" target at 75 yards from the hip with his Mossberg 500 12ga. I thought, "4 inch target at 75 yards? Many couldn't hit that if they were aiming it with sights, odds are strongly in my favor that he misses" Of course, I know my dad is good, but he's not that good right? Wrong, he not only hit the 4" target, he hit it 1" from the center dot. He asked for bets on doing it again and I declined, but he did it again just to prove that it wasn't luck. FWIW, the gun did, in fact, have a bead sight but I'm quite certain the type of sight is irrelevant if you're not even using it...

Top Bottom