Anyone going to try hitting "running" deer with new 5 Cartridge rifles this Fall

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I started out hunting running, hopping, or flying game, so when I transitioned into deer hunting, it wasn't that hard to take running shots. It was the norm when I was a kid to "push" deer or jump shoot them. I shot my first 5 or 6 deer at a full run. BUT this was with big open rifle style sights.

In the late 90s I switched to a dedicated scoped shotgun with a rifled barrel. I have killed maybe 5 running since then with that gun. Recently, I took 2 running deer with an aimpoint on a different setup. Both full run, both less than 25 yards. A red dot is good, but Its hard to get a good sight picture through that 3x scope on a running deer.

Point is, my answer is probably NO. Not because I can,t reliably put them down running, but I doubt that I will put a red dot on a 300 WM AND I still believe that we will have to be more responsible with rifles than with one oz foster styled slugs. A 1oz lead slug aimed down at the earth from a stand or perfectly horizontally is going to have very limited ability to travel beyond a safe range. It may be that I could see taking a shot if I had a scope that was like my 1-6, or if I had a 2-7 on it, but then I wouldn't take longer shots with it, so why not just use my shotgun or my 458? (Honestly, I have no intention of using a newly legal rifle as of now for these reasons.)

I will tell you that I am more skilled and humane than a LOT of hunters. It am pretty choosy about shots. I know lots of guys who will aim 3 feet over a deer with a smooth bore and a gun full of mixed shells to try to hit a deer at 200 yards or who'll not hesitate to just "try" to hit a deer running. Thats not what Im saying. Just wanted to chime in that shooting running deer doesn't make you an unethical hunter***.... If you are smart and careful.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Funny, your profile says since 1964. ​So which is it?!

Both, you dumb, ignorant ***,

BTW: #1 High house shot is going away and you shoot under it!

It's amazing how age for some, doesn't mean experience;
    and many lose the little intelligence they aquired @ birth-
    and grammar school, I'm not even going higher... cause they never got there; LOL

license in IN, not even required for kids in 1964,
    but bought one any way to be cool; Hunting, Fishing & Trapping;
    didn't have the "youth licenses" available now; which are really great.

license in PA in 1968 as I stated; as eligible;

Otherwise: with respect to starting this Thread:
    Lead, Follow or get out of the way!
    I guess you'll do the latter; dictionary required please!!!! :rockwoot::rolleyes:

Last edited:

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have not shot at any deer while running but have walking. Got one walking at 175 yards back in PA. Very few deer during opening day of gun season are standing still especially on state game lands. BIL got a doe running that was out 300 yards with a 243. He is a very good shooter. I would not try to shoot a deer that was running unless it was around 50-100 yards, running straight on level ground and I was on a rest with a scope.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Both, you dumb, ignorant ***,

BTW: #1 High house shot is going away and you shoot under it!

It's amazing how age for some, doesn't mean experience;
    and many lose the little intelligence they aquired @ birth-
    and grammar school, I'm not even going higher... cause they never got there; LOL
    license in IN, not even required 1964, but bought one any way to be cool;
    license in PA in 1968 as I stated; as eligible;

Otherwise: with respect to starting this Thread:
    Lead, Follow or get out of the way!
    I guess you'll do the latter; dictionary required please!!!! :rockwoot::rolleyes:

OK fellas. This is all the name calling for this one.
    I am handing out trophy's as I type.
    Keep it civil or there will be time outs.
    OP....you started this and here it comes. Keep it Civil or do not respond.

No more in thread warnings.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I fully plan on tripod mounting an M60 on my tree stand and loading every other round with a tracer, so yeah, running shots are no issue. I can fill all my tags in one setting, if the conditions are right. Don't worry, I'll make sure the tracers are soft-point and not FMJ.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You know in some states like Louisiana they use dogs to run deer. An opportunity for a standing still shot rarely comes and most deer are taken at a run. I have taken several deer at a run, its not impossible or uncommon in other areas. Go down south and ask them about "still" hunting. They will look at you like your crazy.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You know in some states like Louisiana they use dogs to run deer. An opportunity for a standing still shot rarely comes and most deer are taken at a run. I have taken several deer at a run, its not impossible or uncommon in other areas. Go down south and ask them about "still" hunting. They will look at you like your crazy.
    We'd all get together opening day of season and "drive" the deer. About a dozen would spread out and keep a straight line to force the deer ahead. There were 3-4 guys ahead to shoot any deer pushed to them.
    Drivers AND sitters all usually had "moving targets".
    Granted these are/were experienced hunters used to working together. Never had accidents and got plenty of deer to go around.
    I grew up on a farm in TN and hunting is a way of life. I understand it's different up here but physics don't change.
    Safety is and always has been the utmost factor when hunting or firearms use in general.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's fine and dandy. You probably shouldn't miss, at just 20 yards.

But the overall question we should be asking is, is it safe? Do you really believe you are out there hunting alone?

"Know your target, AND what's behind it."

I'm lucky in that respect, where I hunt I can say that I'm definitly hunting alone.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't understand the attraction to deer drives or running dogs on them. I'm not saying it's wrong and I don't care if others engage in it, it just doesn't appeal to me. I could see doing it out of necessity if someone truly needed to meat to feed their family but both techniques virtually eliminate most of what I enjoy about hunting.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What's all the fuss about?

From my perspective it is clear that there are people that are not comfortable with their abilities to make a safe, clean running shot and they are projecting their own inabilities onto others.

Age has no matter in it.

Number of kills has no matter in it.

Who's feet are bigger than the other's has no matter in it.

So why don't we knock of the proverbial dick measuring contest and have a meaningful discussion.

At the age of 12 I was successfully (greater than 90% kill rate) snap-shooting running rabbits with a rifle and by 15 I was winning local clay shooting competitions (primarily because most had a minimum age of 14). Some people have put the time in to practice and become proficient at shooting moving targets. Once it becomes 2nd nature keeping track of the surroundings, what lies beyond the target, where the clear opening is, etc all becomes a "piece of cake". Just because 1 person isn't capable doesn't mean nobody is capable. ETA, I still "snap shoot" varmints with rifles and hand-guns to this day. Popped a running rabbit in my garden last week with a .22 pistol from about 40 yards. Age & Kills didn't contribute squat to my ability to do that, practice did.

And the fact that incapable people WILL take shots they shouldn't be taking plays a role in safety, I personally don't believe it changes anything. People have been taking stupid, unsafe shots for decades, how does having 5 additional calibers permitted on private property only change that?

Being permitted only on private property certainly "seems" to make it safer yet because you should at least have a handle on who else would be on the property...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't understand the attraction to deer drives or running dogs on them. I'm not saying it's wrong and I don't care if others engage in it, it just doesn't appeal to me. I could see doing it out of necessity if someone truly needed to meat to feed their family but both techniques virtually eliminate most of what I enjoy about hunting.

Differing geographical terrains dictate different hunting styles. While some people hunt for the sport & the challenge, a great number do it for nothing other than the meat. Nothing has changed in that arena for decades, there are still a lot of "meat only" hunters out there. A meat only hunter, in many cases, doesn't care much about the challenge or the sport of it. A good, ethical meat hunter, only cares that the game is put down quickly, humanely, and ends up in the freezer and doesn't go to waste.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Never hunted deer with dogs so I can't speak to it, but as far as push hunting them there is a lot of terrain out west where that is really the only way to hunt them unless you confine yourself to the river bottoms. Maybe it is because that was how I grew up hunting, but I find push or stalk hunting to be vastly more enjoyable than still hunting. The required skillset is much more marksmanship driven and less about how numb you will tolerate your rear end getting.

Plus, I am at the end of the day a meat hunter as was my dad/grandfather etc. I come from a long line of folks for whom hunting and trapping is a way to make ends meet in a frigid climate where there isn't a lot of work available in the winter months.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

It's really difficult to understand it unless you do it with folks that understand how its done correctly.
    One of my sisters lives in lower Virginia, her husband owns a very large peanut / hog operation. They live in one of the county's that using dogs is still allowed.
    I have been one the shooting end on more than occasion along with my son.
    Shooting moving / running deer automatically comes with the program.
    They have a HUGE problem with excessive deer on their property. Driving with dogs cuts into having a great harvest for the local food banks and it knocks the deer numbers down so the farmers have less impact. At its a traditional way to hunt in some places.
    It's very exciting when its happening, lots of noise, crashing, barking and so on..
    But yes, it really sounds unethical in many ways, but once you have done it, those feelings go away.. I was brought up with the Fair Chase ideology from my Grandfather. This also is ethically sound.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Let's look at an example. Ok, you are confident that you have the experience to take a clear shot on a running deer. That opportunity presents itself, say, on opening day. From your position, the deer is running east-to-west... and thus, your shot would be to the north, to hit the deer (which you may well be capable of). HOWEVER, 40 yards to your northeast, is a relatively novice hunter... and he too, decides to take a running shot, AT THE SAME DEER. After all, it's his second or third year hunting deer, and he feels confident... and knows he may not see another buck, all season.
    Do you really feel comfortable, telling him, here in this thread, that you aren't afraid... given you are just 40-50 yards to his south, as he shoots at a running deer with his .308 rifle????
    I thought the question from the OP was would "I" be comfortable taking a moving shot? If the novice doesn't know I'm there, it doesn't matter if the deer is moving or not, I'm equally screwed.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Does it matter what someone else does, can you do it. I limit my pistol shots to 25 yards, does it mean that someone shooting 35 yards is WRONG?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's really difficult to understand it unless you do it with folks that understand how its done correctly.
    One of my sisters lives in lower Virginia, her husband owns a very large peanut / hog operation. They live in one of the county's that using dogs is still allowed.
    I have been one the shooting end on more than occasion along with my son.
    Shooting moving / running deer automatically comes with the program.
    They have a HUGE problem with excessive deer on their property. Driving with dogs cuts into having a great harvest for the local food banks and it knocks the deer numbers down so the farmers have less impact. At its a traditional way to hunt in some places.
    It's very exciting when its happening, lots of noise, crashing, barking and so on..
    But yes, it really sounds unethical in many ways, but once you have done it, those feelings go away.. I was brought up with the Fair Chase ideology from my Grandfather. This also is ethically sound.

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't have an issue from an ethical standpoint it just holds no attraction for me personally. Shooting accurately, particularly with rifles is something that I've got pretty well established at this point. I haven't hunted deer with a gun since I took my first doe in Texas in the early 90's. I prefer to hunt with a bow and have limited myself to only that method in recent years. For my hunting partner and I its a strategy game. We neither one need the meat, it's all about the enjoyment. We use trail cameras during the summer to identify the bucks we want to chase come fall. From that point its a game of trying to position ourselves in front of where they will be. I've killed one buck in the last three years with around 45 days in the field and I'm ok with that. Sure I'd prefer to be successful but it's more about being out there for me.

Just a different approach is all, not saying there is anything wrong with drives or dogs. I may pick up a rifle this fall if I haven't gotten a buck with a bow. Things have changed in our situation a bit and we now have more motivation to be successful. If that happens I won't be shooting through brush nor will I take a shot at a deer moving any quicker than a brisk walk. Personal decisions based on what I believe to be good practices, particularly the brush shooting. My .308 is far too heavy for me to attempt swing shooting it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Uh, well.... Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Colorado, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Arkansas and upstate New York.

And as for "skeet".... I could care less about shotgunning. Ducks taste like ****. I even take my cottontails with a .22 rifle. HEAD shots.
    If you have ever eaten grouse, then ducks don't taste like **** because teal is damn near as good as grouse. Wait, no shotgun equal no grouse so you may not get the comparison.

Top Bottom