Anyone ever appeal their property tax assessment and win?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We just received our new property tax assessment and let's just say, No ****ing way. The 2021 assessment was about what the asking price for the house when we bought it in September. We paid about 7% over asking price. The new assistant is a full 35% higher than the 2021 assessment. :xmad:

There is a service locally that will fight this for us. It's under $200. But has anyone ever done this themselves and been successful? How hard is it? What needs to be done? I have no clue about this but if it's just a few forms and explanation, I'd attempt it myself.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    We just received our new property tax assessment and let's just say, No ****ing way. The 2021 assessment was about what the asking price for the house when we bought it in September. We paid about 7% over asking price. The new assistant is a full 35% higher than the 2021 assessment. :xmad:

There is a service locally that will fight this for us. It's under $200. But has anyone ever done this themselves and been successful? How hard is it? What needs to be done? I have no clue about this but if it's just a few forms and explanation, I'd attempt it myself.
    Wow. I don't have any answers for you, but will be paying attention. I was not very happy with the 10% jump on mine. I would be really unhappy with 35%

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    A few years ago I simply stopped in at the Assessor’s office and asked them about how they got my value. We chatted a bit how I felt there were errors incorrect assumptions. She made an adjustment.

Key is to smile, don’t be a jerk, have some flexibility, listen(!), politely point out where you think there errors assumptions need adjusted. Show up at a quiet time and don’t wait until the deadline.

Worse case is you don’t come to a mutual agreement and you do a formal appeal.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Yes, 2 years ago.
    Form 130 and a short talk with the assessor here in Hamilton Co.
    It was easy.
    It seems if they are going to raise the assessments so much they should lower the rate.
    Of course they love spending other people’s money on their pet projects so we are going to get a lot of push back.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I just filed one online in Hendricks County. I probably should have spent more time on it, but they made it pretty easy. Look up your county assessors office and see if they offer a way to do it online. No idea if it will be approved or not. Our assessment was up 35+% over what we paid for the house in late 2019.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Wow. I don't have any answers for you, but will be paying attention. I was not very happy with the 10% jump on mine. I would be really unhappy with 35%
    Is your township one that passed the fire territory? I think I that alone added 6%.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

My understanding is you need data to back up your claims unless there is an obvious mistake. What are other sales in the neighborhood since you bought? The assessment change is based off of the trending of a two year period, unless it is your time for a complete reassessment. Counties usually divide the county into thirds or quarters and do full on reassessments of one of those segments each year.

Never will forget I appealed an assessment because the square footage was too much, I took the blueprints that show the accurate square footage and they would not change it. I said I would do a formal appeal so they offered to make it a different number, we negotiated a known number, only government is that dumb…

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I did years ago. Made an appointment and met with county assessor.

Best to show up with data of like properties (age, size...) in your area if your county has a site that list public info on property taxes. A realtor can be a friend looking up comparisons on recent sales in your area to compare yours to.

When I sat down with them, they valued my property to very recent built houses. I pointed out in a very close similar area with houses, much closer to mine in age, were assessed at a much lower value.

They did adjust mine down after that.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Yes. I pulled the records of similar properties in the neighborhood assessed less and submitted it with the application. The burden is supposed to be in them over 10% I think? Mine was well over 10% and they offered no evidence.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I believe you are in Elk. Co. ? I appealed a commercial, rental office building in Goshen and won. However was not based on new assessment. It was after the downturn/crash. Prior tenant paid taxes & insurance plus monthly rent. Property was paying net R.O.I. 9% . Lost tenant, unrented for 2 years, once new tenant was found the rent decreased by 65% plus I then paid races, insurance, etc. Was a process and assessor’s office was not encouraging or extreemly helpful. However I argued the actual market value of the property itself had drastically been reduced, provided paperwork and calculations to support my claim, and won. It can be done within established guidelines.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    I used to appeal our very generously increased assessment every year in Chicago, much to our benefit, but that was a different situation I'd say. Having reviewed now the second prop tax bill since buying in IN, I don't see much wiggle room. Our taxes did go up by 11-12%. First, that was strictly due to reassessment, which is good - no change in tax rate, which is something that happened regularly in Crook County - and second, the reassessment change looks to be quite a bit less than the comp sales would indicate. Sure, that's going to change eventually, as the Obiden cartel continues to run the economy into the ground, but right now I don't see that we have much of an argument.

But hey, it never hurts to try.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My understanding is you need data to back up your claims unless there is an obvious mistake. What are other sales in the neighborhood since you bought? The assessment change is based off of the trending of a two year period, unless it is your time for a complete reassessment. Counties usually divide the county into thirds or quarters and do full on reassessments of one of those segments each year.

Never will forget I appealed an assessment because the square footage was too much, I took the blueprints that show the accurate square footage and they would not change it. I said I would do a formal appeal so they offered to make it a different number, we negotiated a known number, only government is that dumb…
    When I did mine in Hendricks earlier this week, you could pick comparables on the website. It was done via the Beacon site.

I should have put more time into it but we'll see how this goes.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We did, right after we moved in, and after our first assessment jumped up. Their argument was that it just old (correct). My argument was that "fair market value" was exactly what I paid, not what they think I SHOULD have paid. They adjusted it down.

But, the .gov will get their pound of flesh one way or another.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not direct apples to apples but when we bought our place we also bought a neighboring 2 acre lot. It was zoned ag but they rezoned it residential when we bought it. I went down and talked to them and filled out the necessary paperwork and they changed it back to ag.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We refinanced in 2020, imagine that, the assessment for 2021 matched the valuation for refinancing exactly. Roughly a 10% increase from when we bought in 2018. Fortunately they aren't using Zillow's valuation as that is up ~45%. So much for capping the property tax at 1% when home values are going up by that much.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom