Anyone else enjoy the Alaska based shows?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    There seems to be a lot of them these days. Personally my runaway favorite is Alaska, the Last Frontier. I would consider this group of families a well rounded, educated group of folks that could socially hang with any group of family, church, or gun friends I have.
    Second would have to be "Life Below Zero".
    Any form of entertainment has some basis in escape and even fantasy but I spent my childhood and early adulthood camping and hiking in fairly extreme cold weather. Hearing people think out-loud about how they deal with life in that environment is great. The Thanksgiving episode of "last frontier" was imo the epitome of why I love these shows. They sat around the table with what looked like a nice and typical thanksgiving feast. the big difference is that they made every item on the table, and all the ingredients themselves from scratch. They took each dish and reviewed the 4 seasons worth of work each component of each dish took to make it come together. These folks have the added ability to articulate that it is simply amazing the amount of work, and people required to get the food into a grocery store to be presented and sold in the state it is in.

It isn't just "the last frontier" , they may represent the last of the unique individuals, &/or people that have acted on the thought that they refuse to live with their liberties going away around them. Granted we can say we stayed to fight, and they are leaving to greener pastures but you have to at least admit the commonality in our desired end result.

There is also the shtf component. What they do as normal day to day living is what we talk about all the time on ingo as shtf "skills" . I'm reminded of the quote "organic food...or what our grandparents called food".

Part of the fantasy for me, I guess is that I wish my life stress was as simple (not the same as easy) as obtaining food, protecting myself from other predators, and being wise about what nature can bring.

modeltman1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I like watching Alaska state troopers-different culture up there and dealing with the hunters

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I like watching Alaska state troopers-different culture up there and dealing with the hunters
    I watched thft show incr for about 5 mnutes. The leo were busting some guys chops for being so irresponsible as to carry a loaded gun. Actually, I think they were loaded mags. They read him the riot act for putting the public at such a safety risk.

I didn't care to see that ever again.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

We watch Alaska State Troopers too. Not a job I would jump right on. Only LEO for a hundred miles (okay, that is an exaggeration but 20 miles is too far)? Ya, not enough firepower for that job..

Hi Doc! :wavey:

modeltman1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I must of missed that one. The ones I have watched the leo's acted like the guns were just second nature up there!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I watched thft show incr for about 5 mnutes. The leo were busting some guys chops for being so irresponsible as to carry a loaded gun. Actually, I think they were loaded mags. They read him the riot act for putting the public at such a safety risk.

I didn't care to see that ever again.

I saw that episode. Convicted felon with approval to have firearms (how? I don't know. It's Alaska dude). He had an AK with one in the chamber. Cops were fussin' (I would too).

modeltman1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    We watch Alaska State Troopers too. Not a job I would jump right on. Only LEO for a hundred miles (okay, that is an exaggeration but 20 miles is too far)? Ya, not enough firepower for that job..

Hi Doc! :wavey:
    I agree,I don't think you are too far off,some of those remote villages I thought they said their back-up was like 70 miles and have to be flown in or have to get their by snowmobile (they call them snow machines)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    sounds like I need to give it another chance. Indyjonhn, I may be wrong but I really thought I remembered the loaded mags being his main, if nit only, issue. It was such stark contrast to what I'd heard of as the cultural and legal norm there (leo & DNR guys telling folks not to be up there unarmed), that I didn't want to keep watching and ruin the image I had of the place.

Sounds like I need to give it a second chance though.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Stuff is crazy up there, no doubt. Seems they DO take a different view on things because of the circumstances: It's frickin' cold, the definition of day and night are not the same as they are in Indiana (daylight at 11pm), there are animals there that can EAT YOU.

I mean you just can't prepare for what you're going to see when you arrive at the scene. Improvisation is the key.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I like the Last Frontier series too, and for the same reasons. I also really enjoy the 'Mountain Men' series specifically because it is not based solely in Alaska and shows a wider range of people living off the land all over the US, the different challenges each family faces and how they deal with them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some of those shows are pretty good. The gold digging series are a real stretch. I just can't get into them. Now they are going into the jungle to dig....Just not for me.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm a fan of The Last Frontier also. Family, working hard and smart for, what appears to be, the right reasons is all good in my book. Atz Lee and his wife drives me a bit nuts though....a bit too much drama....

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'm 100% with the Docs. I'm addicted. Life Below 0, ATLF, Bering Sea Gold, Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch, Mountain Men, Yukon Men, but not troopers. My DVR gets loaded.

The Thanksgiving episode was awesome. They don't waste anything. They actually slaughtered a duck, found an egg inside and had a chicken incubate it to a hatchling, then stuck it in with a duck mom who just hatched some of her own to raise.

The families are exceptional. They can handle everything that gets thrown their way.

I'd like to think I could do that but I know I probably couldn't. One episode, Atz Lee was making his wife, Eve a new outhouse. Neither of them has ever had anything but an outhouse their entire lives. Eve said that she never would want an indoor bathroom and thought that crapping in your house was gross.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Telling people (that are so remote that they have to fly in) that they can't have booze? SCREW THEM!!!

Not State law. Probably some village or tribal regulation. Choose another village, or live out in the bush.

When I lived in Fairbanks, bars were open 23/7. As I recall, only about 6 officers on the local police dept.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I like watching ALTF, Yukon Men, Gold Rush (more for Dakota Boys and Parker), and Mountain Men. Gold Rush has more fake drama then I like, but it isn't bad as some shows. I also liked flying wild Alaska, too bad that show isn't on anymore.

Top Bottom