• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a small (15 ft) mulberry tree on my property that is bearing a lot of fruit this year. I'm told that there's not too much that can be done with them other than make jam. They taste pretty good and I'd rather not let everything go to waste.

Got any jam recipes? I've found a couple on the internet but wondered if anyone here has an personal experience putting up mulberries?

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Never tried to use them for jelly or jams, but lived off of them when we used to run around in the woods as kids. There was always something to eat! The worse problem is not getting to them before the birds do.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Because they are the weed of the tree world. They will grow everywhere I dont want them to and I can't seem to kill them no matter how many times I cut them down to ground level.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    My gram had one when we were growing up. Just mixed them in with cold sweet cream - yummy. She also made jam, pies, turnovers, etc with them. Just used them pretty much the same as any other berry.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I can't seem to kill them no matter how many times I cut them down to ground level.

Next time you cut one treat the stump with Tordon RTU. It has killed everything I've ever put it on. I don't know that that includes a mulberry but it probably does.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Awesome! Reps to you!

Im going to give this a shot. Probably make a batch of mulberry jam, but I will definitely be canning up some raspberry jam in the next few weeks!

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    We shoot the heck out of carp under mulberry trees when they start falling in the river! Makes bowfishing so easy it's like cheating....

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Next time you cut one treat the stump with Tordon RTU. It has killed everything I've ever put it on. I don't know that that includes a mulberry but it probably does.
    Mulberry 's fall into the brush / invasive species category. You have to kill the "stump" so to speak. Tordon RTU will do this. It's not cheap though!

Top Bottom