• ...and so much more!
  • Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Hello,
    Wanting to use my reloading skills for rifle hunting this year. I have a lever action and revolver in 44mag that I am planning on using this year. Has anybody used cast bullets for hunting?
    If so What type, powder, foot per second, Results did you have?
    I currently have the lyman devastator HP for the 44 I am planning on using.
    Thanks for the info guys.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Tag, sorry for the threadjack, but if anyone has used them could you please post factual first hand experiences with the terminal ballistics of the cast rounds? not a my buddy said, or read that.... but what your cast bullet did, to your game, when you shot it or saw it shot.

now, back to this.

Hello,
    Wanting to use my reloading skills for rifle hunting this year. I have a lever action and revolver in 44mag that I am planning on using this year. Has anybody used cast bullets for hunting?
    If so What type, powder, foot per second, Results did you have?
    I currently have the lyman devastator HP for the 44 I am planning on using.
    Thanks for the info guys.

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Thanks for the added help....

Tag, sorry for the threadjack, but if anyone has used them could you please post factual first hand experiences with the terminal ballistics of the cast rounds? not a my buddy said, or read that.... but what your cast bullet did, to your game, when you shot it or saw it shot.

now, back to this.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I took a nice doe with cast 44 mag out of a Marlin 1894. I use a "Ranch Dog" mold that casts a 265 grain bullet that has a large meplat. Also takes a gas check. Loaded with 17 grains of 2400 powder. Its performance was similar to XTP bullets that I have used in the past. I used straight wheel weight lead to cast.

These bullets didn't expand a lot, but they make a pretty big hole going in. The shot hit the doe in the neck so she dropped on the spot. Distance was about 75 yards.

I don't have a chrony, but this load ought to be around to be around 1700 fps out of a rifle.

As far as using commercially cast, I don't have any experience hunting with them.

parson

Top Bottom