• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I'm having a birthday cookout for my little girl tomorrow and the bees seem to have gotten bad in the last week or so. Anybody have any tricks for keeping them at bay for an outdoor gathering?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Open carry.

The criminal bees will stay away but it does seem to draw the harmless nosy ones on occasion. :D

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This is the time of the year the yellowjackets are out foraging.

Get a half dozen or so yellowjacket traps and set them up in sort of a perimeter around the site, 20-30 feet out. Also set one up on the table. Read the instructions on how to bait them. I like using some really sweet koolaid with a little bit of hot dog that's been out for a day or so.

Nothing will repel them, but that'll help catch the ones that are around and should reduce the numbers.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Bounce laundry sheets. Thought it was crazy, but tied one on my belt while once while mowing near a nest, and it kept them away. Always wore it after that, and it seemed to work.

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    :yesway: on the laundry sheets, I have tied one on the back of my hat while fishing, they also repel mosquitoes. :twocents:

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    The sweets thing is what my wife and I had discussed. Maybe buy a cheapo orange or grape pop and open it up away from the seating area...

And yes, I will be open carrying - gotta roll hard! G22 in the Raven and a spare mag (my EDC)..I'd be wearing it regardless of a swarm of menacing stinging insects, marauding my meager meat masterpieces!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Yellow Jackets don't like Permanone at all, they jump off your clothes when they lite. It won't keep them off of your food though.:)

deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    well i guess i am on the sweets. through a few pops a a few hot dogs bout 100 to 200 yards away and they will be all over it do to no one there and thats what they want ... suger and meat. i hate bees would love to see them all go butttttttt we do need them so if none of these back wood things work try the ignore metod. you dont hurt them they dont hurt them . 30 years i have been afraid 25c years since my last sting lol. dont hurt them they dont hurt you i fig .

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I got tagged by a YJ on the head the other day, it hurt until the next morning.

I could understand that. Jeeps are pretty hefty.

Anyhow.
    2 parts orange oil and 1 part water. Use paint brush or rag to brush on wood to repel them. That's what we use around the barn and it seems to work out pretty well. Keep everyone in earth tones, and away from bright colors if you can. Ive never done the bounce sheet but I have heard it from several people. Also, there are actual repellents that are made for bees.

deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    True fact .... if you like flowers , honey,fruit , or if you do a little smoke " i dont but to each there own " leave them be . I mean it would suck to get stung but benifit over down fall. hot flowers and good tomatos vs small 2 day sting or no flowers no fruit. beee or not to be lol ?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    True fact .... if you like flowers , honey,fruit , or if you do a little smoke " i dont but to each there own " leave them be . I mean it would suck to get stung but benifit over down fall. hot flowers and good tomatos vs small 2 day sting or no flowers no fruit. beee or not to be lol ?

This time of year the yellowjackets that are out foraging are not contributing significantly to pollination, nor are they collecting stores for the winter. Killing the few that are annoying you at a picnic will make do no damage to the overall population since each year the nest starts from one queen each spring.

dan lenson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't know if they still sell them, but Automatic Irrigation in Fishers had excellent yellowjacket traps. 317-842-3123

Yellowjackets LOVE Mountain Dew-- the scent and color draws them.

Probably want to use a very small drop of dish detergent to help break the surface tension of any liquid to help them sink. Too much & it'll adversely affect the scent.

Check out this link. Might want to use 2 Liter bottles, though. Maybe place 6 or 8 bottles around the perimeter of where you'll have the event.

YouTube - BBQ & Bee Traps

Wish you & the Fam an awesome party!

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Party went well yesterday, and I have a beautiful little spoiled (in a good way - she's VERY loved) 5 year old!

And I rocked the grill! Borrowed a 10 x 20 portable awning/carport to put over the deck that kept the drizzle off. It was chilly enough that bees kept away and we even put out the fire pit.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Top Bottom