any suggestions for a good CASTING bait caster??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Green04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    Looking to buy a baitcaster, that i can cast light weights on. (3/16 oz jigs, weightless fluke, small jerk/crank baits) any ideas? i have the new johnny morris baitcaster. with the highest gear ratio, but it just doesnt cast that far with light weights. any ideas? thanks INGO!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Why would you use a baitcaster for lures so light?

Just me, but I use spinning rigs for UL fishing. A lot less hassel, casts a lot farther with less effort and gets the job done with a lighter overall weight in rod & reel.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Why would you use a baitcaster for lures so light?

Just me, but I use spinning rigs for UL fishing. A lot less hassel, casts a lot farther with less effort and gets the job done with a lighter overall weight in rod & reel.

Yes that why there are no UL bait casters.

Abu Garcia makes nice bait casters. Check out the smallest ones they make.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I would be inclined to look at Shimano, Daiwa or Ryobi first. I say that and the fact is I am a Garcia guy when it comes to baticasters.

I would have to go dig to see what brand of "UL" baitcaster I own. I bet that thing has not seen daylight in 20 years? Tells you how good it worked. It is a Cluster F*** in the making for sure. Solves a non existant problem.

PS quick search found a $250 Daiwa SOL Yeah, drive on brother.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I fished in bass tournaments for many, many years. Shimano Currado's were my favorites for a long time. I'm on a hiatus until my kids are grown and gone, but I still fish when I can.

These days, I just use a Zebco Red Rhino. I can cast anything, anywhere in any condition.

I fish with jigs, flukes, senko's, powerworms, spinnerbaits, tubes, you name it. Just as affective pitching and flipping as overhand casting.

I'd rather spend my time fishing than picking out birds nests... which does still happen to anyone.

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    The trick to using a bait caster is to adjust it first for the size/weight of lure that you want to use. tie the desired lure/bait onto the line. then tighten down the knob on the right side of the reel (for a right hand reel) then push the spool realease button and then loosen the knob on the side untill the lure falls slowly towards the ground ,,, do this a few times untill you have it adjusted where when the lure hits the ground (with the rod @ about the 10 oclock position) that the line doesn't backlash (wad up in the spool) when you have it adjusted , then try a few casts while useing your thumb on the spool (as a brake ) to slow down the spool towards the end of the cast. then do it a few thousand times before you go fishin. ps: if you are now not thoroughly confused by now,,, GOOD happy fishing

Green04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    The trick to using a bait caster is to adjust it first for the size/weight of lure that you want to use. tie the desired lure/bait onto the line. then tighten down the knob on the right side of the reel (for a right hand reel) then push the spool realease button and then loosen the knob on the side untill the lure falls slowly towards the ground ,,, do this a few times untill you have it adjusted where when the lure hits the ground (with the rod @ about the 10 oclock position) that the line doesn't backlash (wad up in the spool) when you have it adjusted , then try a few casts while useing your thumb on the spool (as a brake ) to slow down the spool towards the end of the cast. then do it a few thousand times before you go fishin. ps: if you are now not thoroughly confused by now,,, GOOD happy fishing

ya, thats the main thing ive been doing, i mean i can cast decently far with my baitcaster now, just looking for something to cast lighter things further. i use a spinning rod for shakyhead, drop shot, carolina rig, and some small jigs. just hate cutting line and all that to use a different bait, and i take 4 rods when i go fishing with different lures. does that mean i have too many lures? ha :ar15::ar15:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    and i take 4 rods when i go fishing with different lures. does that mean i have too many lures? ha :ar15::ar15:
    No. When you don't know how many rods, reels or tackle boxes you own and you describe your gear in terms of tons, not including the antiques and collectibles, then you own a fair amount of gear.

I only have 40 years with baitcasters so I defer to LCPer.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    ya, thats the main thing ive been doing, i mean i can cast decently far with my baitcaster now, just looking for something to cast lighter things further. i use a spinning rod for shakyhead, drop shot, carolina rig, and some small jigs. just hate cutting line and all that to use a different bait, and i take 4 rods when i go fishing with different lures. does that mean i have too many lures? ha :ar15::ar15:

Only 4? :rolleyes: When I was seriously into bass fishing ...I would have 6 rods on deck set up for different presentations and another 4 or 5 rods set up and ready to go in the rod locker. :D

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Definately spin cast for lightweight. If you try you will most likely be mad and fixing alot of rat nests! Try a Mitchel Avasette. Awesome reel for the money. I think you can get one a wally world for 30 bucks. For a bait caster my money goes with a Pfleuger or quantam.

Top Bottom