Any M1 Carbine collectors/experts out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have finally reacquired my 43 Winchester M1 Carbine from a buddy who bought it from me back in some dark days of financial problems. Things are better and he has held onto it for me.

What I am wondering, is he had an offer about a year ago to buy it for $2500. I told him he was a fool not to have sold it for that kind of money, but he knew I wanted to buy it back when I got back on my feet. Anyway, the guy that offered that ended up buying something eles and no longer is in the market. I am looking for anyone who knows about collecting M1 Carbines. Apparantly this one I have may be a bringback instead of an import and may be all original except for one minor part and a refinished stock. I just do not know how to tell with any degree of certainty.

My son likes (loves) to shoot it but I would rather have a shooter than a collector. If it truely is worth that kind of money, I would rather sell it to someone for a collection and use the money to get a nice shooter grade carbine and a LOT more ammo for my son to shoot (he is 11 and loves the fact that he is shooting a real WWII carbine) and is pretty damn good with it too.

I am in Southern Indiana near Louisville KY and would like to see if there is anyone who can give me an opinion on the carbine based on its markings and tell me more about it. I do not know what they all mean and would like to learn more.

Please feel free to PM me and I will call or send my phone number to any experts or other knowledgeable folk out there.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Sir, go to the CMP webpage, click on the forums, find M1 Carbine...all the pros are there....you will need much more info an pic. if possiable....form what you described it doesn't sound like that much, maybe from 700.00 on up...not sure a all perfect one would be worth 2500.00...but they can help you an tell you what to look at. Good Luck.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Cool, thanks for the info so far. I thought $2500 was out of sight myself. I really need to get it appraised by someone else, since that amount was far more than I ever thought it was worth. Either it is something really rare and worth more and I was getting lowballed, or it is nothing special and the guy offered too much. I dont want to get hosed and dont want to screw anyone either.

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    If it has a bayonet lug,adjustable rear sight and a flip safety then it is not original.Also is the mag release reinforced?Other than that each part is marked with manufacturer.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Its worth more than 700$ THATS the price at CMP,not the street,they dont charge true value.It would be worth that much with matching #s ,to some people. I have one ,got luck of the draw at CMP

Top Bottom