• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I wouldn't put a locker on a stock Cherokee. You'll get much farther than ground clearance will allow. (i.e. stuck :):)

On a lifted Cherokee, I would do both (but I have only done the rear).

I've run two years without lockers (the first year on 235/75R-15 and a 2" budget lift, the second year with 3" lift and 31"s) and one year with a welded rear.

Trust me you don't want a welded rear on the street. Even in a "long" WB Cherokee. Traction is amazing though. Until your tires wear out.

I would put a locker in the rear first. On steep hills, the weight will be on the rear and that's where you want the traction. On steep downhills you don't need the traction (as much). On "flat" stuff either will add traction. So you have one that matters and two that don't, so go with the one that does.

The downside of no front locker is that ledges are harder to climb. The downside of a rear locker is the rear gets loose sometimes when you don't want it to. you really need a locker in both end. If you can only afford one at a time, I would do the rear first. If you can afford an Ox or ARB, etc, definitely do that.

I've got to decide what to do next, but I think the welded diff is coming out... it's just way too hard on the tires and street manners are pretty bad. My wife almost refuses to drive it... she loved it before. I put less than 10k miles on it a year... probably 7-8k and... in 16 months I have gone from ~70% tread to 0% (and I mean total slicks).

Before I do anything else I have to decide if I'm putting on larger tires ($$$$). If not, then the rear diff is getting replaced by an Ox, ARB, or some other selectable locker - those might be the only two available for the C8.25, and the front will probably get a Lock-Right or Aussie.

If you have a D35 rear... don't put a locker in it. It's junk. Get a 29-spline C8.25" (at least) or go with an Exploder axle (F8.8"). The 8.8" is a big pig and will take 35" tires on a light Cherokee. The 29-spline C8.25 is no slouch... it goes under Durangos and Ram 1500's. It's good for 33"s.

As for the front... if you have a 2000-up... forget locking the front low-pinion D30 axle. Swap it out for a 1999-down high-pinion D30 from the mid-90's to 1999 (don't want the central axle disconnect and you want the big u-joints). It is as strong as the low-pinion D44 from the TJ Rubicon (same axle size and u-joints).

I have a chr 8.25" in the rear end as mentioned...I would love an ox but that is really expensive and only would do that with regear and axle shaft upgrade.

I was thinking of running 235/75/15 with aussie...why not bother with lockers on a stock jeep? doesn't make sense to me...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've watched guys go over obstacles where they need to use lockers.

That crap scares the crap outta me.

I'm happy with the "smaller" stuff I go over. Eventually I'd like to upgrade my axles and get lockers, but thats a lot of money to spend on something I would rarely use.

I would like to get a SYE though.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    you don't need to have a wheel up in the air to lose traction, no?

Why not spend the money on a lift and large tires and wheel it like that for awhile.

You may find you're happy with those type of obstacles. Learn what you're doing before you go the locker route.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Why not spend the money on a lift and large tires and wheel it like that for awhile.

You may find you're happy with those type of obstacles. Learn what you're doing before you go the locker route.

that's every bit of a 2-3 grand route, plus more for regear and axle shaft upgrade to keep larger tires from snapping stock axleshafts...then might as well get ox lockers.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    that's every bit of a 2-3 grand route, plus more for regear and axle shaft upgrade to keep larger tires from snapping stock axleshafts...then might as well get ox lockers.

What size lift and tires are you planning on running?

I have been running a 4inch lift with 33x12.5 tires on stock axle and gears with no problem.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I just feel like if you get the lift and tires first, you'll get more use out that over the lockers.

Lockers won't help much if your bottomed out on a large rock because you didn't have the clearance.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    If youve got a rear 8.25 and only running 235/75s, youll be fine with both axles. And breakage probably isnt gonna be a result of the tires or locker. Dana 30s, particularly the HP, are stronger than a lot of people give credit. I broke ujoints on my YJ with 35s, no locker. Other than that, the only trouble ive had with a 30 was grenading some CV axle shafts in my ZJ, but I knew their lives were limited anyway and already had spares with ujoints ready to go. Wheel with your head, and youll be alright.

Youd have to make it up to Fort Wayne first in order to test drive it lol. Ive never had much trouble with turning and such on tight trails with the front locker. If I were, id just put it back to 2hi to make the turn. On high traction surfaces, thats a different story, but you shouldnt be in 4wd anyway. Took a few minutes of getting used to having a locked front in the snow, but wasnt that bad once you know how its gonna handle. Another nice thing about just locking the front on a street rig is that in 2wd, it wont be locked, and there wont be power going to it to lock it, so itll drive like normal. If you lock the rear, anytime you are on the accelerator through a turn, its gonna be locked. My brother hasnt really had any troubles, but he did kick the rear out going through a turn in the rain in front of a cop once on accident lol.

I do agree though that you should probably focus on some more ground clearance before worrying about lockers. Ive seen bone stock XJs get into places they shouldnt have and get stuck bad (purgatory at the Badlands being one), lockers will only boost your confidence and probably get ya in more trouble lol.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've watched guys go over obstacles where they need to use lockers.

That crap scares the crap outta me.

I'm happy with the "smaller" stuff I go over. Eventually I'd like to upgrade my axles and get lockers, but thats a lot of money to spend on something I would rarely use.

I would like to get a SYE though.
    You'd be surprised where you can go WITHOUT lockers, with a little finesse, and some balls. :D

Nope. With an open diff, if a tire breaks loose for any reason (slick, loose dirt, or off the ground) it will just spin.

So, if you can keep your tires in contact with the ground, you don't need a locker. If they have good traction while on the ground, you don't need a locker. Also, with a little momentum, you can usually "bump" over whatever if hanging you up, and you don't need a locker.

I've got couple of vids on Facebook that show jeeps on the same obstacle. One with lockers, and one without. Can't seem to link them here, though.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Because you'll run out of clearance before you run out of traction.

this^

If you want the 235/75, then run a 2" budget boost. It helps more than you can imagine.

You'd be surprised where you can go WITHOUT lockers, with a little finesse, and some balls. :D

Nope. With an open diff, if a tire breaks loose for any reason (slick, loose dirt, or off the ground) it will just spin.

^and this^

For example, driver's rear tire is stuffed, driving over a big rock. Rubber+rock+compressed spring = good traction. The passenger side meanwhile is in a hole with mud and loose gravel. Rubber+loose surface+ extended spring = poor traction.

With an open diff it means you're going nowhere.

Like this: http://community.klipsch.com/blogs/andyw/archive/2008/08/16/the-ultimate-driving-exerience.aspx

An open differential means that both axles get equal torque. The amount of torque that you get at both wheels is limited by the tire with the least traction.

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If you are already lifted, save for 33's (or plan to lift soon). If stock, go with 235's.

this^

If you want the 235/75, then run a 2" budget boost. It helps more than you can imagine.

^and this^

For example, driver's rear tire is stuffed, driving over a big rock. Rubber+rock+compressed spring = good traction. The passenger side meanwhile is in a hole with mud and loose gravel. Rubber+loose surface+ extended spring = poor traction.

With an open diff it means you're going nowhere.

Like this: <meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s

An open differential means that both axles get equal torque. The amount of torque that you get at both wheels is limited by the tire with the least traction.

I understand how lockers works, this is why I thought about getting aussie's for an axle and some treadwright 235/75/15 crawlers to get me by till I save enough bones for 33" bfgoodrich km2 and 4-4.5" lift...

price difference between treadwright 235 and 33" bfgoodrich mk2 is $3-400, and a grand or so for a 4" lift...maybe have to add a sye

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I understand how lockers works, this is why I thought about getting aussie's for an axle and some treadwright 235/75/15 crawlers to get me by till I save enough bones for 33" bfgoodrich km2 and 4-4.5" lift...

price difference between treadwright 235 and 33" bfgoodrich mk2 is $3-400, and a grand or so for a 4" lift...maybe have to add a sye

As long as you arent wanting it to ride like a caddy, you can get 4" way cheaper than a grand. For the SYE, you can get a rugged ridge kit for around $150 and use a front XJ/ZJ shaft for the rear driveshaft. Youll have to measure the distance from yoke to yoke at full droop/bump and then you can determine what vehicle to get it from. I found a list online once of all the front shaft lengths by engine/tcase combo in xjs and zjs

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    My black ZJ has reached the end of the road. Got all of the powertrain/drivetrain, and suspension loose and ready to be pulled tomorrow. Then scrap the rest. Sad to see it go

IMAG0648.jpg

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    As long as you arent wanting it to ride like a caddy, you can get 4" way cheaper than a grand. For the SYE, you can get a rugged ridge kit for around $150 and use a front XJ/ZJ shaft for the rear driveshaft. Youll have to measure the distance from yoke to yoke at full droop/bump and then you can determine what vehicle to get it from. I found a list online once of all the front shaft lengths by engine/tcase combo in xjs and zjs

what 4" suspension can you get for less than a grand? I'm overwhelmed by some of the options

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    what 4" suspension can you get for less than a grand? I'm overwhelmed by some of the options

We run a rough country 4.5" on my wifes XJ. We opted for the "X-series" kit, cost almost $400 more, around $830 total. Id advise against that kit though and suggest just getting their traditional 4.5" suspension kit if you go rough country. Their flex arms are a total joke, and the adjustable track bar seems to wear out pretty quick. The traditional kit runs around $450. Jeep XJ Suspension Lift Kits

Zone Offroad has several kits under a grand. I had success with one of their kits on my TJ. Never had any issues. 5 Results for: Suspension Lifts Jeep XJ Cherokee | Ruggedly engineered suspensions from Zone Offroad

Rustys offroad also has a few kits. No experience with them personally other than I run a set of their 3" XJ front springs in the rear of my ZJ. Heard good and bad about em. Jeep XJ Cherokee Suspension Lift Kits, Suspension Systems, and Suspension kits

Id suggest Zone Offroad. They are the only ones I used and didnt have any issues with their parts.

Other folks will tell you that you have to spend big bucks on other kits to do it right. Ive never spent a grand on suspension though, but I do plan on long arms for this next ZJ, so thatll get a bit more expensive for me

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    We run a rough country 4.5" on my wifes XJ. We opted for the "X-series" kit, cost almost $400 more, around $830 total. Id advise against that kit though and suggest just getting their traditional 4.5" suspension kit if you go rough country. Their flex arms are a total joke, and the adjustable track bar seems to wear out pretty quick. The traditional kit runs around $450. Jeep XJ Suspension Lift Kits

Zone Offroad has several kits under a grand. I had success with one of their kits on my TJ. Never had any issues. 5 Results for: Suspension Lifts Jeep XJ Cherokee | Ruggedly engineered suspensions from Zone Offroad

Rustys offroad also has a few kits. No experience with them personally other than I run a set of their 3" XJ front springs in the rear of my ZJ. Heard good and bad about em. Jeep XJ Cherokee Suspension Lift Kits, Suspension Systems, and Suspension kits

Id suggest Zone Offroad. They are the only ones I used and didnt have any issues with their parts.

Other folks will tell you that you have to spend big bucks on other kits to do it right. Ive never spent a grand on suspension though, but I do plan on long arms for this next ZJ, so thatll get a bit more expensive for me

4.5" XJ Suspension Lift Kit with Rear Leaf Springs J23/J24

this one?

Top Bottom