• ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Correct.

The coax cable has two parts. The "outer" part connects to the screw-on connector and must be grounded. The "inner" part is that copper pin, and must NOT touch ground.

The antenna must only touch the center pin of the coax. Anything else is a short. That SO-239 has some plastic inside of it to isolate the center pin. That's also why there is a plastic shoulder washer between the antenna and mount.

When we throw an SWR meter on it, we'll know right away if it is shorted or not grounded. Short = no SWR at all. No ground = way high SWR. I'd rather have no ground, since a short can kill a radio right quick.

Technically speaking, would the antenna be grounded if you feed that adaptor through the bracket and screw them together?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Got a plastic shoulder washer in there? If so, I'm guessing you are good.

All metal above the bracket should only touch the center pin. Does that help?

I haven't actually bought the base adaptor or made the bracket, trying to understand what I need to buy and make

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I haven't actually bought the base adaptor or made the bracket, trying to understand what I need to buy and make

If you buy a mount, it should have everything in that picture in the box.

If you are building the mount, then look for a stud mount kit.
    R-4 Road Pal Basic Stud Mounts
    r-4a.jpg

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hello INGO friends, anyone have a recommendation on a place I can get a lift installed other than 4wheel parts. I have a JKU and just purchased a 2.5in max travel Rock Krawler lift. Thanks.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hello INGO friends, anyone have a recommendation on a place I can get a lift installed other than 4wheel parts. I have a JKU and just purchased a 2.5in max travel Rock Krawler lift. Thanks.

Give Sunfire Offroad in Sunman, IN a call:
    126 Eastern Avenue/PO Box 420, Sunman, IN.
    (812) 623-3473

Really not too many offroad specific shops in Indiana. That kit isn't all that hard, other than bleeding the brakes when done (and an alignment). I'd get some friends and a garage, and get too it. Or, call a couple of local shops and see what they say.

Seriously, there is only about 20 bolts total in that kit. Piece of cake!:D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Give Sunfire Offroad in Sunman, IN a call:
    126 Eastern Avenue/PO Box 420, Sunman, IN.
    (812) 623-3473

Really not too many offroad specific shops in Indiana. That kit isn't all that hard, other than bleeding the brakes when done (and an alignment). I'd get some friends and a garage, and get too it. Or, call a couple of local shops and see what they say.

Seriously, there is only about 20 bolts total in that kit. Piece of cake!:D

Yeah, that's new enough of a rig that Kroil and a mean arsed attitude probably aren't required ;)

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the info, I can fix a human being but I am just learning how to work on JEEPS. The suspension seemed like something I need at least one person involved who knows what is going on. :) I should have the kit in a week and see what it entails, Fletchers will do the alignment and I have a pro cal to reset the speedometer. It is my DD so need to get it knocked out over a weekend. I will check out Sunfire. Merry Christmas everyone.Hope to see some INGOers on the trail in early spring.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    got the adapter that goes through the bracket, and playing with my spring....my spring doesn't bend at all and I'm a decently strong guy....what gives? does it unscrew with itself to expand out some?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    got the adapter that goes through the bracket, and playing with my spring....my spring doesn't bend at all and I'm a decently strong guy....what gives? does it unscrew with itself to expand out some?
    They are incredibly stiff. Once the antenna is on, you can bend it easily with the additional leverage.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    What's wrong with 4 wheel parts?

The guy there pushed pro comp to a fault. Said all the other lifts sucked even though they sold them. When I told them I was firm on my lift choice I was told that the install price would be 3 x more on any lift other than procomp. Lastly the installer didn't seem to know what the track bar was. I am thinking about calling the store manager. My brother has used them in the past and thought they were pretty good but I felt like they were jerks working only on a commission or sales bonus and not on helping me get the best build on my JEEP.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got a pair of Procomp lift springs for my 1st XJ from them (rear). Broke one after a few yrs, they said it was under warranty- they got me a new one next day, no charge.
    That was some time ago.

mikedippert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The guy there pushed pro comp to a fault. Said all the other lifts sucked even though they sold them. When I told them I was firm on my lift choice I was told that the install price would be 3 x more on any lift other than procomp. Lastly the installer didn't seem to know what the track bar was. I am thinking about calling the store manager. My brother has used them in the past and thought they were pretty good but I felt like they were jerks working only on a commission or sales bonus and not on helping me get the best build on my JEEP.
    4WP (as a whole) is a joke. Talked to a guy at the counter for 10 minutes and knew he didn't know anything about Jeeps.

I know of a shop in Elletsville (just west of Bloomington) that does good work. They won't mark up parts costs. They make money from their labor which is how it should be. In fact, I took in some of my own parts and they installed them when they did my SYE. On the SYE, I was charged exactly the same price as I would've paid if I bought it myself. I forget their labor rate, but I remember it being about average.

Top Bottom