• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Can someone recomend a fare and honest repair shop on the NW side of Indy that does radiator work?

I noticed my truck was starting to leak coolant last night. When I checked under the hood I noticed the coolant was running down the side of the radiator. I'm hoping it's just a hose that needs replaced, but if it's more serious I'm probably going to need to take it in for service.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Malless Auto treated me OK when I had a fuel pump crap out on me. Quick diagnosis and repair done faster than estimated. Don't know about best price, but I was quite satisfied with quality: Quick turnaround, work done as quoted and no oversights.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Radiator shops are mostly at thing of the past almost all rads are aluminum and plastic nowadays, I.e non repairable, if it is in fact the radiator, it'll need replaced.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    Radiator shops are mostly at thing of the past almost all rads are aluminum and plastic nowadays, I.e non repairable, if it is in fact the radiator, it'll need replaced.
    this, it used to be they could braze them shut. not so much anymore

with that being said, there are no "radiator" shops but just good repair shops that can find the leak and replace whats needed.

btw, dont let it run out of water and cook it. pay attention to the temp gauge if it has one.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Yeah I guess I really just ment to ask for an honest and affordable mechanic. I wanted to see how much more it would cost me to have a mechanic do it, as opposed to myself and a buddy in his driveway.

And I'm pretty sure it's the radiator, becuase I could see coolant bubbeling out of a hole or small crack on the top corner of the plastic tank (not the overflow reservoir).

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not the MW side of Indy, but Mike's Radiator in Mooresville is top notch.

It's now owned by Tom Warthen who has worked there since he was in high school in 1982 or so.

He runs a top notch radiator repair and lawn mower repair business. If you decide to head down there, let him know Don Wilson sent you there. I've know him for over 33 years, great guy.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've replaced a couple of radiators, and it was no big deal. One took about 15 minutes, and the other one nearly an hour, but it was in December, snowing, and I had a brace on one wrist for a ganglion cyst, so I was basically doing it one-handed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As stated above, Rad. shops are not really prevalent anymore. You can buy new units far cheaper than a re-core and they are not that hard to change out on most vehicles. Any good auto shop should be able to take care of you.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    As stated above, Rad. shops are not really prevalent anymore. You can buy new units far cheaper than a re-core and they are not that hard to change out on most vehicles. Any good auto shop should be able to take care of you.

I beg to differ on that, there's a lot of really cheaply made parts going into the production of cars and there's a reason that there is ton of crap in front of them before anything has a chance to damage it.

Beside the fact that you can have a custom core installed to fit the use of you vehicle concerning towing, traffic, and other factors.

The shops that are still around like Mike's that I mentioned above are around for a reason....

They are still needed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I beg to differ on that, there's a lot of really cheaply made parts going into the production of cars and there's a reason that there is ton of crap in front of them before anything has a chance to damage it.

Beside the fact that you can have a custom core installed to fit the use of you vehicle concerning towing, traffic, and other factors.

The shops that are still around like Mike's that I mentioned above are around for a reason....

They are still needed.

OK....Your opinion. I do all my own work and have several friends with competent shops I just do not put the names out there. Another friend just does high end hot rod specialty one off rads. so I know the work. People have a comfort zone. I have no idea what you have been driving or your experiences but most all of my rigs are still on the original rads. and (2) of the (4) are far in excess of 100 K. The local supply houses all have replacements in stock reasonably priced. I am just getting my learning curve up to speed on firearms but I know cars. I have built to many of them from the ground up
    There are a lot of smaller cars and imports that are tough to work on but for the most part a radiator is in an out in under (2) hours. You can find many places with differing price ranges on replacements. You do get what you pay for. No knock on your buddy's shop there big fella. They do serve a purpose and I hope he does well. There were several good shops around here as well. They are all gone now.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    OK....Your opinion.

SNIP

No knock on your buddy's shop there big fella. They do serve a purpose and I hope he does well. There were several good shops around here as well. They are all gone now.

Yes these shops do serve a purpose, and he does well because he does a great job for a respectable price and he treats people with respect and does not beat around the bush with them.

Your key words up there are "good shops" and "They are all gone now"

To me I see that as "They are all gone now because they was good shops"

In this age of parts replacement, good shops die, great shops live on because they go above and beyond with their service and product.:)

This is his living, it's not just a job for him, he's a dying breed, a master of his trade. I'll buy a rebuilt radiator from him 24/7/365 over the crap that's sold out there anytime.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those folks are a dying breed. I know of a few, have lost a few in this life. It is a replacement world as we have stated. In the smaller community's such as in the area you mention, folks still like to be serviced and appreciate craftsmanship. In the city around me, it is wham bam slap it in and get my car back. That is the mentality. There are still a few Truck oriented shops but thy do the big stuff, no real money in cars anymore.
    I will spend my hard earned dollar at a small mom and pop 1st last and always.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I realize that it can't be repaired. I was trying to find a couple honest places to compare estimates against doing it myself.

I'm seeing $130 for a radiator from the parts stores vs $350 to have it done at some shop. Depending on the price, some days it's just easier to drop it off on the way to work and pick up later when its done.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A bit soon for a rad. failure. It is not that tough to get it out in that truck. Get the right coolant...do not re-use the original stuff.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I read some where on line that it wasn't uncommon to have to replace the radiator around 10 years. I've already had to replace the water pump and head gasket to repair a coolant leak on the back side of the engine.

Other than brakes, I really haven't had to many issues with the truck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    4.3's and most Vortec based GM engines experience intake manifold gasket failures. Water pumps are common after 6 to 7 years as well. That is my only issue with these engines. Had to do those same things to my daughters 4.3 and both my full size GMC's. No rad. issues yet

Top Bottom