• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Does anyone have experience with the smith & wesson 22A?

I just sold off one of my glocks and have been looking for something different. Was looking at getting an M&P 40 and getting a 357 sig barrel but if I got a 22 I would be able to shoot more often..thoughts/recommendations?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I had one and didn't care for it. Every magazine had a misfire or two, even with quality .22 match grade ammo. Worse than the Walther P22. I had an RG .22 revolver that was more reliable.....

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I had one and it was superbly accurate. I only got rid of it because of the 10 round magazine limit. The mags are uncomfortable to load, and must be reloaded frequently. It is kind of a pain to break down and put back together, but it's not terrible.

I would probably buy a Ruger if I want another 22 pistol. Right now I'm just using Ruger 10/22 rifle so that I can utilize the 25 round mags. I'd rather reload 9mm than 22, even though they are smaller.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a S&W 22A and there is not a thing wrong with it. Very accurate, and it's actually a piece of cake to disassemble/reassemble.
    It does only carry a 10 round mag, but I don't necessarily call that a drawback.

The 22A is a very nice gun for the money. If you're anywhere near Lafayette, pm me and I'll let you shoot mine to try it out.

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    I have a 22a with the bull barrel. Added a Bushnell red/green dot and Altamont target grip,and it turned into my most fun and accurate pistol to shoot. I've put somewhere around 2krds thru it with no problems. Great shooter for the cost.

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    My S&W 22A doesn't compare to any of the Ruger standards I own and shoot comparing tigger comfort and installing the magazine. The design of trgger hurts my finger and magazine has to be inserted with a bit of force.
    Accuracy is probably better then I can shoot but its just a uncomfortable
    design for me. To me the 22A's quality doesn't compare to the Ruger standards in MK I, II, or III.

Seabee Lineman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Let me say I bleed smith and wesson blue, however in 22lr handgun I would go with a ruger. I have a MKIII 22/45, and I love it!!!

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I have both a Ruger Mark III 22/45 and a S&W 22A.

I would rec either of them. Both are awesome plinkers. And the 22A is actually very, very easy to field strip and clean.

Also, it's very easy to switch out barrels on the 22A. I have a 5 inch barrel with a red dot sight and a 7 inch barrel that I use the iron sights. Takes all of 15 seconds to switch them at the range.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I like mine... Never had an issue that wasn't related to crappy ammo (Remington Thunderbolts, I'm lookin' at YOU).
    I don't know why anyone thinks they are uncomfortable to load...the mags have that little "assist" on the side.
    Accuracy... well, 35 ft witnessed by a few INGOers at Roush;
    target-coin.jpg

target-ball001.jpg

As far as the ease of field strip... Easy enough to take down in less than half a minute and reassemble in less than a minute, not even hurrying; Annie's Stuff: Gun Stuff

:yesway:

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I love mine. Its the 7" barrel and its a frigging tack driver. Its actually pretty easy to take down, clean and put back together. I have fired over a 1000 rounds through mine both slow and rapid fire with 0 misfeeds (OK 1, but I had my thumb floating and it interfered with the slide). The mags are easy enough to load. It has a pic rail for a top so I mounted a little reflex sight on it!

Top Bottom