• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Been toying with the idea of picking me up a bull stainless Savage to play with. Mainly for target work or the occasional varmint whacking.

Seems like a sweet round. Any fans out there or anybody own one of these?

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    So my father in law was showing me their new bathroom (Which has a window). And mid sentence he sees a yote about 100 yards away. Next thing I know he opens the window ..aims down the sites and takes it out .. From in the bathroom.. With a .17 dropped instantly. I'm a fan. And my ears only rang for 30 min!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So my father in law was showing me their new bathroom (Which has a window). And mid sentence he sees a yote about 100 yards away. Next thing I know he opens the window ..aims down the sites and takes it out .. From in the bathroom.. With a .17 dropped instantly. I'm a fan. And my ears only rang for 30 min!

I like him already.

I understand the .17HMR is the round of choice among poachers. Just what I have heard.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I picked up a Savage 93r17 today with a bsa sweet 17 scope and Leopold rings at Darrel's custom firearms. I was there picking up a Mossberg 500 I won at the friends of the nra banquette a couple weeks ago. My daughter turned 8 Christmas and I promised her I'd teach her how to shoot when she was 8. I paid 249$ for the rifle 20$ for the rings and to much for the scope but didn't care cause the shotty was free.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I picked up a Savage 93r17 today with a bsa sweet 17 scope and Leopold rings at Darrel's custom firearms. I was there picking up a Mossberg 500 I won at the friends of the nra banquette a couple weeks ago. My daughter turned 8 Christmas and I promised her I'd teach her how to shoot when she was 8. I paid 249$ for the rifle 20$ for the rings and to much for the scope but didn't care cause the shotty was free.

I also have kids and thought that the 17 bolt action would be a great way to start someone out on. Nice and slow one at a time learning the fundamentals of shooting. Cheap and no recoil.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I like to say its like 'Grandpa's .308 Rem 700 but in miniature'. Ask my 11 year old Son how well it does with groundhogs at 150yrds. Savage 93. Its a lot of fun but you have take cross wind into consideration.

A yote from the bathroom. Thats quite a bit of pressure for a confided space. Ear protection for sure. :ingo:

We use Hornady poly tip with great results. Definatley a "tack driver". :):

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I've got a stainless savage (non-bull barrel) and love it. I feel with the poly-tip ammo, it's a safer alternative to the .22LR in some cases, because the high velocity, light round seems to explode when it hits anything. I've had good results with the Remington Premier stuff. My only complaint, and this may not be an issue anymore as I've had mine for seven or so years, is that the bolt will rust if you don't keep it well oiled. I admit that I've been guilty of taking it out to shoot a groundhog or two in the summer and not oiling it down immediately after, so it's something to keep in mind.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I have a Savage 17HMR with the heavy stainless barrel and laminate thumbhole stock. I bought it several years ago when we were making yearly trips to South Dakota to shoot prarrie dogs. The thing is pretty awesome and we destoyed a lot of p-dogs with it. It was the preffered rilfe for anything under 150 yards (started having problems with wind drift after that), very mild recoil and relatively quiet when compared to my 22-250.

It doesn't see much use now, as I haven't been out west for sometime. But it is sill a great shooter.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I had a 93r17 FV. It was a fun rifle rifle, But somewhat of a niche caliber I think. But for its intended use its quite fun. Just a lot of down range movement with such a light weight projectile.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Never owned a Savage in 17hmr. However I own a Ruger 77/.17. Ever gave any thought to one of those?

I have a Ruger 77 in .243 win. Was a big Ruger fan until my dad gave me a Savage for my birth day. I didn't think much of it and stuck it in the back of the safe for a rainy day. I had a few bucks to spend one day and put a Nikon Prostaff on it. I dialed it in and fired my first five round string. All I could see from my scope was one hole. I thought I missed the target until I got down range to see the tiny clover leaf.

Ruger is nice but I think Savage makes a better barrel and has a better trigger and for less money. Ruger does have a nicer fit and finish though. I am not into pretty guns. I like them to be total utility black synthetic with stainless. That way they can get beat around and if I don't feel like cleaning them o well. I got the Ruger from my grandfather and I actually gave it back to my dad. It is too pretty to mess with and I would feel bad if something happened to it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    the .17hmr is a great round for its intended use!
    I used to think it was a little pricey... oh how our circumstances have changed with .22LR availability.

I'm actually considering getting a .17Hornet (modified .22Hornet) to add 100 yds of effective range to what the 17hmr will do.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I've been a HMR devotee for some time. Had Marlin, Savage (3), Anschutz (17P), Ruger (10/22M conversion and 96/17), and currently have two CZ 452s in the caliber. Never had one that didn't shoot very well. The CZs have accounted for hundreds of prairie dogs. I believe the cartridge is inherently accurate.

Top Bottom