Anti-Second Amendment feeling among FFL holders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think everyone ought to be able to produce and sell their own beer, wine and hard liquor as well.

AS a matter of fact, let's allow liquor stores to buy from anyone they want from anywhere in or out of the country.

But the distributors will tell another story, much like FFL's who want that extra $$$.

Regards,

Doug

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    My FFL does not feel that way. He believes that we shouldn't need FFL's. He only charges $20 and mainly does the FFL thing to get business opportunities to promote his cerakote, gun cleaning, full auto weapons, suppressors, and self defense classes. He's a stand up guy and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's pretty lucky that most of us don't have a conflict between moral beliefs and our income. That enables the high horses to remain appreciably high without the risk of hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It'd pretty lucky that most of us don't have a conflict between moral beliefs and our income. That enables the high horses to remain appreciably high without the risk of hypocrisy.

+1
    I'm betting these guys think doctors should work for free too.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm betting these guys think doctors should work for free too.

Not a fair comparison. Nobody wants them to work for free.

We just don't think this bit of "work" the FFL holder does adds value to the economy.

I certainly don't want to have to visit a doctor and get a prescription in order to take an aspirin for my headache.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Not a fair comparison. Nobody wants them to work for free.

We just don't think this bit of "work" the FFL holder does adds value to the economy.

I got $25 for a transfer Saturday and then bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace (distilled locally, keeping the money local)...The customer was able to purchase a firearm from Bud's (which is about an 80 mile drive from here) and only have to walk 100 yards from his Doctor's office to my shop to fill out his paperwork...He gets to purchase a firearm cheaper than I could have sold to him from his computer...I get $25 for being here when the revolver was delivered, unpacking it, putting it on the books and calling in his transfer....

It's sounds like a win for everyone.....If I do not get mad at folks for buying from out of state vendors online to save money then why on earth would someone begrudge me for charging $25 for my time and to help cover insurance, lease, internet, electricity, heat, etc to keep a small one man shop open in an era of Bud's, Rural King, Wal-Mart, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas etc....If it wasn't for transfers I couldn't stay open...I saw this coming and decided to specialize in used firearms and doing transfers for some of the big online vendors...I have managed to keep the doors open since 2011 and I don't know who the "we" is that you are referring to that "don't think this bit of "work" the FFL does adds value to the economy" but I have never met them....Most folks that come here are just happy I do their transfers and don't give them any crap about buying a gun from someone other than me.....

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Just like there are plenty of people who don't want the nfa repealed or opened up. They'd lose their aces on the tens of thousands of dollars spent for a single m16.

I keep seeing this sentiment thrown out there, but as someone who would stand to lose a substantial amount of value in my machineguns, I certainly don't agree. I'd love for the Hughes Amendment to be thrown out (or even better, the entire NFA). I've also never met any other machinegun owner who doesn't agree with me on that point. Most would rather lose the value in the guns they have, so that they can continue to grow their full auto collections without having to sell a kidney.

I don't know who these mythical big-money, Hughes Amendment supporting, machinegun collectors are, but they certainly don't seem to come to any shoots that I've attended. Maybe they are too busy attending their Illuminati meetings and plotting to get rid of the lifetime concealed carry permits. :rolleyes:

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I got $25 for a transfer Saturday and then bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace (distilled locally, keeping the money local)...The customer was able to purchase a firearm from Bud's (which is about an 80 mile drive from here) and only have to walk 100 yards from his Doctor's office to my shop to fill out his paperwork...He gets to purchase a firearm cheaper than I could have sold to him from his computer...I get $25 for being here when the revolver was delivered, unpacking it, putting it on the books and calling in his transfer....

It's sounds like a win for everyone.....If I do not get mad at folks for buying from out of state vendors online to save money then why on earth would someone begrudge me for charging $25 for my time and to help cover insurance, lease, internet, electricity, heat, etc to keep a small one man shop open in an era of Bud's, Rural King, Wal-Mart, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas etc....If it wasn't for transfers I couldn't stay open...I saw this coming and decided to specialize in used firearms and doing transfers for some of the big online vendors...I have managed to keep the doors open since 2011 and I don't know who the "we" is that you are referring to that "don't think this bit of"work" the FFL does adds value to the economy" but I have never met them....Most folks that come here are just happy I do their transfers and don't give them any crap about buying a gun from someone other than me.....

I'm just glad I live way far away from you. Otherwise, my wife would probably put your store as a "no fly zone". :spend::laugh:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    It's sounds like a win for everyone.....

It would be a better win if the company making the sale could ship the gun directly to the consumer, cutting out the middle man. The consumer pays less, and the transaction is quicker and more convenient. The downside is that you and many like you have to find other types of business to do.

Your business (transfers for money) is predicated on a law that requires an FFL to transfer firearms. But it's compliance with the law that makes your service useful; the service is not inherently valuable.

I don't begrudge you the $25 you get to transfer firearms for people. But economic rents as a whole are a huge drain on our economy. Many of the smartest, most capable people in our society are engaged in activities that add no value to the economy at large because--in our current system--it is most favorable to them to position themselves in a space to take money out of the system without significantly contributing to it.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I don't know who these mythical big-money, Hughes Amendment supporting, machinegun collectors are, but they certainly don't seem to come to any shoots that I've attended. Maybe they are too busy attending their Illuminati meetings and plotting to get rid of the lifetime concealed carry permits. :rolleyes:

They are investors rather than shooters. They do exist, though probably not to the level they've been made out to be.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's pretty lucky that most of us don't have a conflict between moral beliefs and our income. That enables the high horses to remain appreciably high without the risk of hypocrisy.

I've maintained my high morals even when there was a conflict.
    What's your point?

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville

It's sounds like a win for everyone.....If I do not get mad at folks for buying from out of state vendors online to save money then why on earth would someone begrudge me for charging $25 for my time and to help cover insurance, lease, internet, electricity, heat, etc to keep a small one man shop open in an era of Bud's, Rural King, Wal-Mart, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas etc....If it wasn't for transfers I couldn't stay open...I saw this coming and decided to specialize in used firearms and doing transfers for some of the big online vendors...I have managed to keep the doors open since 2011 and I don't know who the "we" is that you are referring to that "don't think this bit of "work" the FFL does adds value to the economy" but I have never met them....Most folks that come here are just happy I do their transfers and don't give them any crap about buying a gun from someone other than me.....

I am glad that you do what you do. I am happy that you make a profit. I hope that you do not feel that all firearms purchases should require paperwork...

Top Bottom