Another what is it ? revolver/rifle blackpowder oddity ? INGO help me once again

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    So INGO , yet another oddity that I need help with ..... and the last one was fun

This gun is posted online for sale , and for the life of me cannot figure anything about it. The owner says there are no markings on it whatsoever. He believes its 50cal blackpowder.

and thats about all I can give you , he wants $1000 and as odd as it is that may not be bad. I just don't know. Even if I pass on it I would like my curiosity to be satisfied more than anything.

So INGO , what say you. What is it ?

2lbo0sl.jpg

ngrp1j.jpg

2qby9g2.jpg

15yx9uu.jpg

1zr2c1z.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It does look home made. Stock is a lever action hence the brass spacer between the cylinder and hammer. The pistol frame had a long barrel put on it. The foregrip/ram rod is a nice touch.

The part where the pistol frame meets the lever action frame looks a little to modern to me. Maybe this is not that old.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    I have looked at tons of leveraction recievers online, some broken down or even pieces and can't find any that look like this. Also the trigger system having that "extra" brass spacer, can't find anything that looks like that as well.

I very well may be totally wrong, but I don't think its a pieced together pistol/lever action rifle.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    why the pump action rammer on a cartridge gun?

thinking movie prop/non funtional

Yeah, does the lever-action looking part actually work, along with the pump? And looking at the hammer, what's that raised part that it hits - it almost looks like the percussion cap (?) mechanism, but that doesn't make sense with a cylinder like that (I think).

The general look seems like something from the mid-late 1800s (the front half kinda reminds me of a Winchester 1897), but brief research doesn't show anything like the handguard/cylinder arrangement.

Edit: ALMOST looks like a Colt Revolving Rifle
    Colt revolving rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    300px-Colt_carbine.jpg

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The hammer seems awfully far from the cylinder. Has anyone tried opening up the brass-ish covering and seeing more about the internals?

In looking at the late 1800s designs, it doesn't quite fit. I'm leaning towards a homebrew.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    The hammer seems awfully far from the cylinder. Has anyone tried opening up the brass-ish covering and seeing more about the internals?

In looking at the late 1800s designs, it doesn't quite fit. I'm leaning towards a homebrew.

Guy hasn't opened it or even taken it in anywhere . Myself , I would be pulling this thing apart looking for markings and such.

Im probably not going to persue it and will beat myself up about it that I didn't.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    c'mon INGO , if this was a rock you guys would of had it by now

Well, there are a finite number of ways to make a rock. There are infinite variations of human imagination applicable to firearms. Exhibit 1: AR15.com picture threads. :)

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I'm definitely going with homebrew. Probably by a felon who wanted a decent semi-auto blackpowder. A ram rod to pack down the cylinders. I feel that if it had been from the 1800's that it would have been a revolver action instead of a lever action. The ram rod wood looks like the pump grip off an Ithaca or similar.

Top Bottom