• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'm all for honoring exceptional service. However, having this medal rank above the bronze star is ludicrous when the only danger these drone pilots face is possibly a first degree burn from a coffee spill. What next, a purple heart for carpal tunnel syndrome?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm all for honoring exceptional service. However, having this medal rank above the bronze star is ludicrous when the only danger these drone pilots face is possibly a first degree burn from a coffee spill. What next, a purple heart for carpal tunnel syndrome?

Don't say that too loud. You may give them ideas.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality

:rofl:

Making a new medal for those who do not have boots on the ground, and placing it on order of precedence above the Bronze Star just cheapens the BSM even more. I was recommended a BSM with "V" device and had it downgraded to ARCOM with "V", because my Company Commander and 1st Sgt were both getting Bronze Star Service Medals, just for being in the zone. This was rampant before I finally retired, and really cheapend the award, IMO.

Why did the Pentagon not just award an Achievement Medal with a device new device? That would be no different than the Army and Marine Corp awarding the Arrowhead device for Airborne, Air Assault, or Seaborne assaults (IIRC, the Marine Corp. awards the same device as the Army) on the campaign ribbon.

Gniks18

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF1mx-Dcek8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF1mx-Dcek8[/ame]

Watch the above skit about drone pilots. Hilarious.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    :rofl:

Making a new medal for those who do not have boots on the ground, and placing it on order of precedence above the Bronze Star just cheapens the BSM even more. I was recommended a BSM with "V" device and had it downgraded to ARCOM with "V", because my Company Commander and 1st Sgt were both getting Bronze Star Service Medals, just for being in the zone. This was rampant before I finally retired, and really cheapend the award, IMO.

Why did the Pentagon not just award an Achievement Medal with a device new device? That would be no different than the Army and Marine Corp awarding the Arrowhead device for Airborne, Air Assault, or Seaborne assaults (IIRC, the Marine Corp. awards the same device as the Army) on the campaign ribbon.

The "V" denotes valor, right? So what did the guys awarded BSMs without the "V" do to get their medals?

bw8755

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    South Bend
    How can this be? Any other circumstances under which a medal is awarded requires the person to whom it is awarded to have been in harm's way. Under no circumstances connected with the issue of the medal is a drone pilot in any danger whatsoever unless there is a second coming of Major Hasan.

carpal tunnel? Nintendo thumb?

in all seriousness and with respect to drone operators, and speaking as a civilian, I don't think it should out rank a medal earned that did put the recipient in danger.

Gniks18

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    They're running the military into the ground. Look what they're doing to the Marine Corps. POG commandant, women in the infantry, no more hazing, can't roll sleeves, can't wear silkies, no tats. Fuc* this shi*. I'm happy I got out.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I suppose my Dad, a missile tech in the pre-Vietnam cold war, could be reclassified a war criminal due to all the practice drones he shot down with AA missiles.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    It would seem drone pilots should get the same medals as other pilots. No more, no less. Having a special medal seems weird.
    Really?! A drone pilot has his aircraft blown out of the sky and he goes home, cries in his beer, and gets pity sex from his girlfriend. The next day he goes back to his airconditioned office to try again.

If a real aircraft pilot has a bad day, and if he survives the ejection, he hopes and prays the good guys find him first so he doesn't wind up getting his genitals hooked up to a car battey every day for the next half decade or so.

I'm not so sure that both of them should be qualifying for the same awards and decorations.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    carpal tunnel? Nintendo thumb?

in all seriousness and with respect to drone operators, and speaking as a civilian, I don't think it should out rank a medal earned that did put the recipient in danger.

The Bronze Star is also awarded to persons who aren't put in any danger.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    3szsa1.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Really?! A drone pilot has his aircraft blown out of the sky and he goes home, cries in his beer, and gets pity sex from his girlfriend. The next day he goes back to his airconditioned office to try again.

If a real aircraft pilot has a bad day, and if he survives the ejection, he hopes and prays the good guys find him first so he doesn't wind up getting his genitals hooked up to a car battey every day for the next half decade or so.

I'm not so sure that both of them should be qualifying for the same awards and decorations.

Im starting to like the idea of this medal. The interesting thing about this new medal, is that it appears to have been created to "protect" the honor of other awards, most obviously, the Distinguished Flying Cross.

The "Cross" is awarded under the criteria of, "heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in an aerial flight, subsequent to November 11, 1918." Drone pilots, are indeed "pilots," so the "participation in an aerial flight," component is satisfied. If a drone pilot eliminates a high value target, or kills a bunch of bad guys, the "extraordinary achievement" is satisfied as well. If would be very difficult to disqualify a drone pilot if he met such criteria, hence the creation of this new medal. Unless of course, you guys are ok with handing them out DSCs?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    The "V" denotes valor, right? So what did the guys awarded BSMs without the "V" do to get their medals?

Their Bronze Stars were service medals, which can even be awarded in peace time for extremely exceptional service. Our leadership was just there, not even doing their jobs as Infantry, more like support roles. That hastened the end of my career. In fact, I did not even know I received the "V" device until six months ago at a VA appointment :n00b:.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm certain there is a degree of stress these guys face. However, they still walk away from EVERY mission, even if it ends up with their plane as nothing more than a "smoking hole in the ground."

Oh no doubt, but I was reading up in this, and learned some things I hadn't thought of. Unlike guys with boots on the ground, who are placed in theater and have constant war zone stress, drone pilots are literally killing dozens of people one hour, and the next having dinner with the wife. That has got to mess with your mind. Or think about when they get things wrong, and smoke a non-combatant family, or fail to "deliver the goods" to the right location, and one of our guys ends up injured or killed.
    Soldiers in the field, don't have to "turn it off," until they get back stateside, but a drone pilot has to do it every time he steps away from the console.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Oh no doubt, but I was reading up in this, and learned some things I hadn't thought of. Unlike guys with boots on the ground, who are placed in theater and have constant war zone stress, drone pilots are literally killing dozens of people one hour, and the next having dinner with the wife. That has got to mess with your mind. Or think about when they get things wrong, and smoke a non-combatant family, or fail to "deliver the goods" to the right location, and one of our guys ends up injured or killed.
    Soldiers in the field, don't have to "turn it off," until they get back stateside, but a drone pilot has to do it every time he steps away from the console.

These guys see heat images on a screen that resemble human form, or a vehicle. What they don't do is engage the enemy within small arms range, when you can see the rounds penetrate, and the aftermath. These guys don't have to worry about running over an IED when they get to go home to their families each night. More than likely they will never know if they cause collateral damage, since that can only be ascertained by a battle damage assessment, which is boots on the ground. We had to do BDA's on Iraqi armor and mechanized units in the invasion for the Air Force and our own helicopter gunships, which is something that I will never get over. I think this medal is just a little over the top for what it is awarded for.

Top Bottom