• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Interesting take from a man that is a professional executioner.

Executioner: Death by firing squad is '100 percent justice' - CNN.com

Executioner: Death by firing squad is '100 percent justice'

By Ashley Hayes, CNN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Former member of Utah firing squad says executions aren't gruesome
    • Law enforcement officer volunteered for job, calls it 'another day at the office'
    • Last execution by firing squad in Utah was 14 years ago
    • Ronnie Lee Gardner is set to die by firing squad on June 18

Salt Lake City, Utah (CNN) -- The executioner says he was eager to join the firing squad.

Not because he was familiar with the 1996 case, or felt the need to deliver justice for a raped and murdered little girl.

It wasn't even because his high school classmate was raped and killed just before graduation.

So why did he do it? Why choose to join four other men in executing a convicted murderer?

"How often does this come along?" he says, "... 100 percent justice."

It's been more than 14 years since guns were last fired in Utah's execution chamber. But later this month, they may sound again, reviving a debate about the death penalty and the methods used to carry it out.

The one-time executioner met a CNN reporter in a Salt Lake City restaurant Tuesday to talk about his former role as Utah prepares to put Ronnie Lee Gardner before a firing squad June 18.

Gardner was convicted of killing attorney Michael Burdell in 1985 during an attempted escape from custody at a Salt Lake City courthouse, where he was appearing for a pre-trial hearing in connection with another murder. On Thursday, he will go before the state Board of Pardons and Parole in an effort to have his death penalty commuted.

The former firing squad member asked not to be named, as he remains a law enforcement officer in the state. The man he helped execute, John Albert Taylor, was sentenced to death for killing an 11-year-old girl in 1989. Charla Nicole King had been sexually assaulted. A telephone cord was wrapped around her neck -- three times, her mother told authorities. She knew because she counted as she unwound it, trying to revive her daughter.

The officer agreed to recount his experience because he believes in the death penalty -- and thinks the firing squad method is plagued by misconceptions.

It is not like the scenes depicted in movies, with a condemned man tied to a stake and smoking a last cigarette before being riddled with bullets in a gruesome spectacle. Instead, he says over coffee, toast with grape jelly and an omelet, the process is instantaneous and carried out with the utmost professionalism.

"It was anti-climactic," he says. "Another day at the office."

He has brought with him a stack of photos from Taylor's autopsy, including one of the man's heart, blown into three pieces.

Does he have any lingering effects from his role in the execution?

"I've shot squirrels I've felt worse about," he says. He volunteered to participate, he said, and would do so again, given the opportunity.

"There's just some people," he says, "we need to kick off the planet."

The officer remembers feeling a sense of responsibility that day, as he awaited the countdown to fire at Taylor, strapped into a chair 17 feet away with a target pinned to his chest.

He remembers telling himself, "Don't (expletive) this up."

The five men selected for the firing squad had been given a month to prepare. They practiced their shooting in the execution chamber.

On the day of the execution, four of the five were armed with live rounds. The fifth received an "ineffective" round that, unlike a blank, delivers the same recoil as a live round. No one knew who had the ineffective round.
    Two alternate marksmen were on standby -- one to replace an officer who loses his nerve (none did) and a second to replace the alternate.

At the designated time, the five fired simultaneously. Only one shot was heard.

"They don't want to hear five shots," the officer said.

The former executioner has brought someone with him to the interview: Chris Zimmerman, once the police chief in Roy, Utah, who investigated the King slaying, interrogated Taylor, arrested him and witnessed his execution.

Zimmerman recalls seeing Taylor clench his fists as a reflex. His chest rose, and then sunk.

"The process was not gruesomely bloody, nor was it slow. "We were there, and it's not that way," the officer said.

He remembers getting home at 3 a.m. -- Utah executions are conducted just after midnight. Five hours later, he was kicking in a door to serve a search warrant.

A coworker who recently had struggled after shooting a suspect approached him to make sure he was OK, the officer said. But a police shooting, where an officer must make a split-second decision, is "a whole different world," he said. "I'm going .... 'Look, man, this is nothing like what you went through.'

"I do not want to downplay in any way what real cops do in real shootings."

Zimmerman points out that an officer who saw Taylor running from the murder scene with a gun and shot him would have been considered a hero. "Both ways, we killed him," he said.

He remembers King's mother telling investigators of finding her daughter's body and trying to resuscitate her before realizing it was fruitless, gently unwrapping the cord from the girl's neck.

"That woman has to live with that the rest of her life, and John Albert Taylor was put to death in seconds," Zimmerman said.

The officer points out that both Gardner and another death-row inmate in Utah, Troy Kell, were already in custody when they killed again. Gardner was charged with killing bartender Melvyn Otterstrom in October 1984; Kell was serving time for murder when he killed another inmate in a Utah prison.

No one executed for their crime, the officer points out, has ever killed again.

It seems to be quite effective," he says. "Nobody's heard from Gary Gilmore," the first person executed after the Supreme Court lifted a ban on capital punishment in 1976. Gilmore died by firing squad at the Utah State Prison in 1977.

"You'll notice this didn't take two and a half hours," he says, referring to a recent execution in Ohio, where personnel had trouble finding a vein on an inmate to administer a lethal injection.

"The death penalty," the officer says, "is nothing more than sending a defective product back to the manufacturer. Let him fix it."

Asked about the arguments against the death penalty -- that one race receives it disproportionately, that the poor are more likely to wind up on death row -- the officer discounts them as procedural issues that should be fixed in the courts, not the execution chamber.

As soon as the death penalty is discarded, he believes, those same arguments will be turned against the alternative -- life in prison without the possibility of parole.

And, he and Zimmerman say, polls show that most Americans support the death penalty. "The pulse of America is, 'Look, we're tired of this stuff,'" the officer says.

Utah was given permission to use the firing squad as a method of execution by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1879, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, a non-profit organization. Although one other state -- Oklahoma -- currently allows firing squad as a secondary method of execution, it can be used only if lethal injection and electrocution are ruled unconstitutional.

Firing squads are still in use in other countries; according to the Capital Punishment UK website, they are steadily declining. The site says there were 30 such executions worldwide in 2007 -- 15 in Afghanistan, one each in Belarus, Ethiopia, Indonesia and North Korea, three in Somalia and eight in Yemen. Some provinces in China are also thought to use the method.

Utah lawmakers outlawed the firing squad in 2004, but a handful of death-row inmates who had already chosen it as their execution method were grandfathered in after family members of murder victims begged the state Legislature not to open another door for appeals, lengthening what in many cases has become at least a 20-year wait for justice.

"The appeals process is a little out of control," the officer said. "Get it done in a couple of years and move on."

Asked about cases in which people are freed from prison after being proved innocent, the officer says he doubts there have been innocent people executed since 1976. It's hard to convict someone and put them on death row, he says, and it's harder to keep them there through numerous appeals. That process minimizes the risk of the innocent being executed, he says.

Taylor's death, the officer says, was a homicide in that it came at the hands of others. But it was not murder, he maintains, and the death penalty "needs to be used more often."

"I haven't lost three seconds of sleep over it," he says. "... it's true justice."

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Interesting read. I still oppose the death penalty except in very rare cases. I don't believe the government is competent to wash my car, to say nothing of having control over life & death.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I remember reading "The Executioner's Song" serialized in Playboy in the 70s after my stepfather gave me his almost complete collection from the early 60s. I'm not opposed to the death penalty per se, there are some people who just should be removed from existance. I prefer they be removed by those they are trying to victimize though (or someone right there when it's happening).

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yeah i never understood some peoples "hard time" coping with shooting and killing a true bad guy?? its a joy! and should be. no shame in killing evil.

any attempt to cry over it is politicaly correct bull crap, to not sound sinister! I am 100% for firing squad and hangings!! they need to quit dragging azz on all these death row cases and do it quick!

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm in favor of mercy as a philosophical point, but ultimately have few problems with the deaths of those who are true bad guys. I don't think there should be any joy in it; deriving pleasure from killing, justified or no, dehumanizes the one doing it.

The reason I find the death penalty objectionable is, as I said, that I don't believe the government is competent to handle it. The case of Dr. Stephen Hayne and the continuing revelations about forensic "science" nationwide should disturb more than a few people, if they were ever to take the time to understand the issues and implications.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I'm in favor of mercy as a philosophical point, but ultimately have few problems with the deaths of those who are true bad guys. I don't think there should be any joy in it; deriving pleasure from killing, justified or no, dehumanizes the one doing it.

The reason I find the death penalty objectionable is, as I said, that I don't believe the government is competent to handle it. The case of Dr. Stephen Hayne and the continuing revelations about forensic "science" nationwide should disturb more than a few people, if they were ever to take the time to understand the issues and implications.

So you believe the family ought to have the right to kill the person responsibile for they're wrong, depending on the crime committed?

Or is your point more with the innocent be killed?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

fletch, not attacking you, just asking.

is it wrong that i found joy in accomplishing my mission objectives in afghanistan against terrorist who were responsible for killing innocent American citizens and also American Soldiers?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    So you believe the family ought to have the right to kill the person responsibile for they're wrong, depending on the crime committed?

I fully support killing in self-defense, and that would be my preferred outcome. Let's get that out of the way.

Families doing the killing, I could see. I would support the idea of giving the family of the victim the choice of life or death, assuming guilt was not in question. I would also vehemently defend any family who chose to be merciful.

Or is your point more with the innocent be killed?
    That is indeed the larger point I'm trying to make. With Radley Balko's expose on Stephen Hayne, and the continuing fallout in the forensic community, it is absolutely clear that we cannot trust the machine to deliver justice. The reforms recommended as a result of these investigations are absolutely critical to the preservation of justice as a concept in our country, but also have little to no chance of becoming reality, since the public at large is too glassy-eyed from watching "CSI" to realize that "proof" isn't all it's cracked up to be. The entire system needs an overhaul, and so far all that's managed to be done is getting Hayne fired and a couple of guys released from prison after serving monstrously long sentences for crap they didn't do.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    fletch, not attacking you, just asking.

is it wrong that i found joy in accomplishing my mission objectives in afghanistan against terrorist who were responsible for killing innocent American citizens and also American Soldiers?
    I would not characterize it as "wrong". I would characterize it as "dehumanizing" or "spiritually harmful" to you.

Now, for all I know, you're an atheist who doesn't care about such things, and that's cool for you. I just don't see things that way... I can't anymore. From my perspective, you're like those kids with the genetic disorder that makes it so they can't feel pain, so they damage themselves without realizing it. I hate to see the damage, but ultimately there's little I can do about it except to mention that I see it.

And in the spirit of your inquiry, know that in no way should this be taken as a condemnation or attack against you.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    fletch its cool, i dont take it as an attack. i respect your opinion. no i dont believe in god, but i dont wanna claim to be an athiest. I do have morals and live my life as a good person the best i can. i dont like being associated with a label. i think other things i saw damaged me more than my objectives. i can turn it off, but some things will stay with you. im just saying i fully understand the officers total lack of remorse for what he did. i volunteered for what i did too.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    im just saying i fully understand the officers total lack of remorse for what he did. i volunteered for what i did too.
    I think that lacking remorse and experiencing joy are two different states of mind, and I believe it's really only the latter that is damaging. I believe that, emotionally speaking, I could do either job and probably not feel remorse, because it's something that had to be done (assuming all the other caveats and whatnot were accounted for, of course). But I would not want to feel joy.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I love this!!! :D

"No one executed for their crime, the officer points out, has ever killed again.

It seems to be quite effective," he says

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I love this!!! :D

"No one executed for their crime, the officer points out, has ever killed again.

It seems to be quite effective," he says
    And indeed I have long made this same argument in support of the death penalty. It is 100% effective in preventing future crimes by the person executed. Of this there can be no doubt.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't trust the gov't to decide much of anything, personally, however, considering that there are some folks who just need to stop breathing, and considering that the group of those people who have been tried and convicted of capital offenses are by and large not just going to die conveniently close to the time of their conviction and sentencing, I think SOMEone needs to do it. I would rather have a judge make the decision, or perhaps a body of 12 good people;the one can make the decision as a judge and insulate him- or herself personally from the fact of it, while the foreperson of the jury can sleep with the knowledge that it was not his/her decision alone, but that of a committee of 12. The alternative, as I see it, is that the victim's family member, without any of the psychological masks available to him/her, must make that decision. The rationale is the same as handing all but one of the executioners a live round, so any one of them might think that he had the empty round.

If I'd lost someone close to me in this way, I'd like to say I'd have no problem making that decision. I'd like to say I'd sleep just fine... but I don't know that. I hope to never find out.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

sporty_live

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Brownsburg
    While I support the death penalty, I think it should be limited to slam dunk cases. Confessions, eye witness accounts, irrefutable evidence.

The stance of not letting cases linger is what I have a hard time with. Take some time and read up on the West Memphis Three at Free The West Memphis Three. Kid has been on death row for half his life with no hard evidence linking him to the crime. His guilt being highly suspect with absolutely nothing to show his involvement other than a coerced confession from someone who's intelligence is that of a 3rd grader. The confession should not even be considered, as there are questions to timeframes as well as statements that do not match the damage to the bodies.

If his execution had been rushed, justice would not have been served.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    This was a great article... I was going to post it tonight.

I really think I'd like to have a cup of coffee with that lawman!

Top Bottom