• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Some of you know I drive a semi for a living. I'm a month into a new job, and I'm liking it pretty much, and I don't want to cause waves or stir the poop pot as the know-it-all new guy.

This is an email I sent to my new boss. It has been edited for purposes of vagueness.

What say the fine members of this forum?

I have a big concern about my delivery at XXX Retail Establishment here in Indianapolis.

This location is a mugging, or worse, waiting to happen. The delivery must be made in a completely unlit alley, in a bad neighborhood.

While making my delivery there two weeks ago, I heard three gun shots just a few blocks away. I later discovered the shots I heard were fired during the commission of a murder.

Man Found Fatally Shot In SUV - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

Yesterday, 10/15, I was finishing the delivery and returning to my truck when an "urban gentleman" pulling a wheeled suitcase stopped and asked me if he could "axe" me a question about the location of a nearby street. I told him it was at the next stop light. Then, he wanted to "axe" me some more questions.

I told him NO, I'm working, and I got in the truck and left the scene.

This morning, 10/16, after finishing up the delivery, I noticed a car parked near my tractor that wasn't there when I pulled in. Inside the car were two "urban individuals" who were messing around with something inside their car...or perhaps waiting for a chance to rob me.

They didn't say anything, nor did they try to do anything, but I have a real bad feeling my luck is going to run out real soon at this location.

I'm not a wimp, but I'm not stupid either.

I've been around the block a time or two, and I've learned to pay attention to my instincts. My spider senses have been especially keen and accurate of late, and they're telling me that this location...at this hour...is bad news...and that I'm getting cased for a possible future attack.

I'll tell you right now that I will not get killed or mugged for this job or anything on my truck.

It isn't going to happen.

My suggestion is that I make this stop the last one of the day, instead of the first.

The customer may not like it, but I won't like being mugged in a dark alley even more...

Last edited:

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    I am responding to subscribe to this thread. I will be very interested in the reply you get from your supervisor. Please continue to post.

Good luck on the delivery - stay safe.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Follow your instincts buddy. You're right, your life is much more important than your job. I think you did the right thing...communicate your concerns to your boss and let him work it out with the customer.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Some additional info to make things clearer:

Delivery times are at 0Dark30.

All of my deliveries are "unattended."
    This means that the businesses are closed and locked up...nobody is there to receive the delivery.

I am entrusted with the keys to these businesses, alarm codes, etc., and I have to make sure the establishments are secure when I'm finished with the delivery.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    you are correct, your life is way more important than that delivery, or any delivery. When i was a restaurant GM, my owner use to always tell us, "give them the $, nothing is as important to me as your lives". This meant alot to me then, as i was a father of 3 young children and had only been married for a couple of years. This is one big reason why i stayed at that restaurant until he closed the doors. Op i hope your boss is receptive to your e-mail, if not i would probably "axe" to meet him in WI to discuss it (assuming you really like the job). On a side note, i met a delivery driver a few months back who regularly carried 3k in cash in his pocket from COD deliverys, not good!

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Depending on the business, you might not be the target but the opportunity to get into the business. My local NAPA has a side door that leads into a room for drop offs after hours but the second door is locked on the inside so you actually can't get past the first room. But, it does sound like you have been scoped out and they know your routine and times. I think the email doesn't send a threat, it sends a concern which is important. Another thing to mention is the safety for the customer's business. If you have been mapped out and they want in, it is in your customer's best interest for your routine to be changed also. Just a thought, stay safe and good communication with the boss. Hope it goes well for all concerned except for the low lifes in the neighborhood.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Do you think you could "carry"? It would be easier to find a new job if something were to happen and you were prepared, it would be harder on your family if these "urban individuals" had bad intent and to obey a company rule you weren't armed.
    On a lighter-side, you could ask you neighbor friend to borrow his Rotty that you have grown so close to. He could ride with you in the cab.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Do you think you could "carry"? It would be easier to find a new job if something were to happen and you were prepared, it would be harder on your family if these "urban individuals" had bad intent and to obey a company rule you weren't armed.

It's against company policy to carry. Also, after leaving Indy, I must travel to a communist state which does not recognize Indiana's LTCH.

On a lighter-side, you could ask you neighbor friend to borrow his Rotty that you have grown so close to. He could ride with you in the cab.

My hate for you grows stronger with each passing moment.
    :xmad::noway:

:D

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I'll tell you right now that I will not get killed or mugged for this job or anything on my truck.

It isn't going to happen.

While I agree with you completely about protecting yourself. My advice would be to omit this sentence from your email. From experience, I know employers don't like getting demands from new employees on the phone or over the internet. :)

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Oops. Too late. Can't omit. :dunno: :):

The outfit I work for seems to be staffed with many common sense folks, and they are very receptive to driver issues.

I don't anticipate any "push-back" from my supervisor regarding the wording of the email.

If there IS push-back, I'll tell 'em to push it back up someplace warm, moist, and devoid of natural light sources.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You might call the police and let them know what is going on. I don't know about Indy but a lot of places would be glad to drive by a few times while you are there if they know there are some questionable people hanging about.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I hope this all works out. I am subscribing to this thread! Post the reply, I would be very interested to know. If not a gun, carry a baseball bat just in case? And by commy state, I am going to assume you are talking about the western neighbor of our great Hoosier state?

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    ...and I'm gonna start carrying my K-Bar.

kbar1217.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Walter, it seems to me your instincts are giving you a warning and you are wise to heed it. Most times, people dismiss their danger instinct and that is what gets them in trouble. The e-mail to you boss was professional and to the point. I did not see a problem with you addressing your concern to your employer. I, too, will be watching this thread to see how it turns out for you. Best of luck.

Top Bottom