• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kreepin2g

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    new whiteland
    simular situation happened to a guy at work but noone was hurt. cops banging on the door after midnight, he grabbed his gun went to the window close to the door and peeked out to see a brown and tan uniform. he opened the door with extreme caution and all ended well

SIGguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Wow, thats just plain ridiculous! Its almost like you cant be safe in your own home any more. I agree with the homeowner 100%

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Homeowner is dead.

It sounds like murder to me, but we'll see if the investigation is a real investigation, or sweeping ugly details under the rug.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    What the hell were the cops thinking?!? Pounding on a door without announcing themselves in the middle of the night. Sheesh!

Of course, they guy was also wrong to just throw open the door without checking who it was and point his pistola at an unidentified target. Fail on both sides. Was an easily avoidable tragedy. I also concur that murder or manslaughter charges at the very least should be brought up.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Lake County, FL Police Department spokesman, "The bottom line is you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police officer, you're going to get shot." Maybe I'm taking this wrong, but the way he said this sounded like the resident got what he deserved. I sensed no remorse at all.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    It says here he pointed the gun at them. Someone can be pounding on my door and I won't open it up and point a gun at them.

"When we knocked on the door, the door opened and the occupant of that apartment was pointing a gun at deputies and that's when we opened fire and killed him," Lt. John Herrell said."

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Lake County, FL Police Department spokesman, "The bottom line is you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police officer, you're going to get shot." Maybe I'm taking this wrong, but the way he said this sounded like the resident got what he deserved. I sensed no remorse at all.

And again, why did the guy open the door and pointed a gun outside? It doesn't seem to make sense. Sure if I got woken up at 1 AM or, for me, I'd be just on my way to bed, I'd arm myself, but if I heard a knocking, I'd make sure my door is locked and braced and called out to the guy on the other side to identify himself and look out my peep hole. I would only open the door when I the guy on the other side means no harm. If it is LEO, I'd tell them to respectfully have warrants and ID on them unless they are in full uniform.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    And again, why did the guy open the door and pointed a gun outside? It doesn't seem to make sense. Sure if I got woken up at 1 AM or, for me, I'd be just on my way to bed, I'd arm myself, but if I heard a knocking, I'd make sure my door is locked and braced and called out to the guy on the other side to identify himself and look out my peep hole. I would only open the door when I the guy on the other side means no harm. If it is LEO, I'd tell them to respectfully have warrants and ID on them unless they are in full uniform.

How do we know he opened the door with the gun pointed at the police officers? Maybe he just had a gun in his hand. The officers may have just saw the gun and fired.

Do we know if the officers were in uniform? Were their guns drawn and pointed at the resident when he opened the door?

Hopefully there is a full investigation. And, hopefully, someone reviews the procedure for handling situations such as this before someone else gets killed.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    How do we know he opened the door with the gun pointed at the police officers? Maybe he just had a gun in his hand. The officers may have just saw the gun and fired.

Do we know if the officers were in uniform? Were their guns drawn and pointed at the resident when he opened the door?

Hopefully there is a full investigation. And, hopefully, someone reviews the procedure for handling situations such as this before someone else gets killed.

It says it right in the article.

"When we knocked on the door, the door opened and the occupant of that apartment was pointing a gun at deputies and that's when we opened fire and killed him," Lt. John Herrell said."

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    What isn't in the story is whether the deputies guns were drawn as they knocked on the door. I suspect they were.

If the homeowner "had his gun pointed at them" and the deputies weapons were holstered, then it would seem likely the deputies would have identified themselves immediately, rather than be shot. Going for their pistols at that point would seem pretty stupid, since the homeowner, presented with two unidentified men reaching for weapons, would have smoked them both, unless the deputies had quick draw super powers. If the homeowner lowered his gun and then the deputies drew and shot, that's murder, plain and simple.

So I'm guessing the deputies had their guns drawn as they knocked. In that situation it is hard to fault the homeowner for pointing his weapon at the two unidentified guys holding weapons banging on his door. His other choice is what, drop his gun and hope the intruders don't just kill him?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    What isn't in the story is whether the deputies guns were drawn as they knocked on the door. I suspect they were.

If the homeowner "had his gun pointed at them" and the deputies weapons were holstered, then it would seem likely the deputies would have identified themselves immediately, rather than be shot. Going for their pistols at that point would seem pretty stupid, since the homeowner, presented with two unidentified men reaching for weapons, would have smoked them both, unless the deputies had quick draw super powers. If the homeowner lowered his gun and then the deputies drew and shot, that's murder, plain and simple.

So I'm guessing the deputies had their guns drawn as they knocked. In that situation it is hard to fault the homeowner for pointing his weapon at the two unidentified guys holding weapons banging on his door. His other choice is what, drop his gun and hope the intruders don't just kill him?

How about don't open your door pointing a gun???:dunno:

You guys want to turn this into something it isn't.:rolleyes:

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County

I know that's what the story said. But how do we know that is accurate? Is it possible someone is not telling the truth?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Please for the love of all things holy quit quoting news articles and quotes from police as Gospel. People lie, people forget, they twist things, misunderstand things etc.

The best a news article can do after the fact is give you a very broad sense of what might have happened according to one side of the story.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you get a knock on the door late at night, and you feel like you must have your gun, don't open the door!

Turn the lights on and ask "what's up?"

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    This is only one side of the story. How many cops here in indiana have said it is against the law to OC. Not all of them don't know the law they just say it to get you to comply. Cops lie sometimes, right or wrong they are people to. The truth will never be known because the other side of this story is dead.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    This is only one side of the story. How many cops here in indiana have said it is against the law to OC. Not all of them don't know the law they just say it to get you to comply. Cops lie sometimes, right or wrong they are people to. The truth will never be known because the other side of this story is dead.

I disagree. The Truth is always known, though perhaps it will not be made aware in court.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    How about don't open your door pointing a gun???:dunno:

You guys want to turn this into something it isn't.:rolleyes:

I will respectfully disagree with you. How about don't go to the wrong house in the middle of the night, bang on the door, decline to identify yourself, and shoot the person who opens the door for doing exactly what you are doing, namely, pointing a gun at him.

Details are sketchy, but clearly the Lieutenent is a very poor person to be in law enforcement. "Execution by cop" is not okey dokey.

Top Bottom